Elevator Speech Prep For Marketing Your Business

• 4
  • 3

July 28, 2017 is National Talk in an Elevator Day. When was the last time you practiced your elevator speech to sell your business or services?

Elevator Speech

What Is An Elevator Speech?

An elevator speech is a short speech that you give to tell others about your business or services.  Emphasis is on the word “short,” so it is worth your while to practice, so that you can give the most information about your business in 30 seconds.  Many persons think ” oh well, that’s easy to do” but it is not as easy as you think. Sometimes you only have a short time to make a lasting impression, so you should make every moment count.

Can you sell your business or services in 30 seconds?

Tips For A Great Elevator Speech

• Craft an opening phrase that will grab attention
  • Say what your company does or what services you provide in one sentence
  • Be flexible in case you have to change what you practice on the spot
  • Ask for constructive feedback from friends and relatives
  • Practice your timing (30 seconds for the entire speech)

This speech is all about practice and there is no getting around that. Most persons are busy so you have to make that 30 second speech count. So go practice and start telling persons about your business or services.

Happy National Talk in an Elevator Day!

All pics are courtesy of Canva and Pixabay!

Facebook      Twitter      Pinterest      Google+     Stumbleupon    Bloglovin    Instagram

© 2017 Mardene Carr

• 4
  • 3
  • 4
  • 3

1. Erinn Sluka says:

I am so bad with and also uncomfortable with small talk. I don’t mind responding but am awkward starting small talk

Erinn, well get prepared in case someone asks you what you do. Having a prepared speech will eliminate the discomfort.

2. [ Smiles ] Your elevator speech was surprisingly short and sweet!

3. Aimee Geroux says:

I’ve done a few of these in my days and this is some great information. Will definitely help me improve on my 30 second pitch skills!

4. Melanie says:

I need to rehearse my elevator speech. I’ve got a conference coming up, and would like to be well versed in pitching my brand.

5. adriana says:

Good advice not only for business but for a professional too. It is important to explain in few words what we do for living. As well as to seed that curiosity to learn more.

6. Czjai says:

Great tips. I like short, concise speeches that pack a punch. 🙂

Czjai, me too, sometimes concise is the best thing especially with people’s short attention span these days.

7. This is amazing! Must put it to use! Thanks so much!

8. I definitely need to work on my pitch, this is super helpful!

Thanks for sharing 🙂

9. Nailing a quick pitch is super important as a business owner. I remember practicing mine in the mirror until I could say it in a way that sounded conversational. It has helped me grow my business for sure.

10. Great post! I’m not sure if I can sell my business in 30 seconds – that’s a great challenge to work on! And thanks so much for the tips!

11. I think being succinct while making a statement is so important for building your business. These are such great tips for doing so.

12. Lisa says:

These are great tips! Reminds me that I need to refresh mine with my twins starting preschool because mommy is about to get her work on!

13. I have an elevator Speech for most times someone asks me what I do or even if they dont and I decide ama talk to them 🙂 I love giving it some juje every so often 🙂 Great tips Mardene!

14. Echo says:

I had never heard of prepping for a meeting referred to as an Elevator Speech! It totally makes sense though! I have prepped myself in a car before.

15. So many great tips! I use my tagline and the starting point for my elevator pitch. It says all that I am in one sentence and gives me room to build on it from there according to the client, brand or potential partner I’m interacting with.

16. Emily Morton says:

This is so important! First impressions really do make a huge difference.

17. Rosey says:

Practice makes perfect. At least that’s what ‘they’ say, and I believe it!

Rosey, you are so right about that…once you do it often enough it becomes second nature

• Rosey says:

I like the idea of having an alternate one too, in case the one you use most isn’t quite the right fit.

Rosey sometimes context might dictate that we draw for something other than the usual

Rosey I totally believe that as well

18. GiGi Eats says:

I have an iron clad elevator speech that I tweak every month 😉 Works like a charm!

GiGi that is fantastic….it is very rare that I hear anyone say they are ready for this…

19. An elevator speech or pitch is so important. I have actually been working on mine over the past few weeks.

20. Neely Moldovan says:

Wow these are awesome tips. I remember hearing about elevator speeches at a blog conference once and I never knew they were so important.

I need to get my elevator speech down better. I do have parts of it in my head.

22. Trish says:

I love the phrase “elevator speech.” This would also be great for job interviews or a number of different business presentations. Great tips!

23. Brandy says:

This is great, an elevator pitch is honestly the first thing I learned and mastered when I started blogging back in 2008. It really is a great way to avoid the “what do you do?” questions with stuttering haha. I used to stutter over what I exactly do, now my elevator pitch makes me sound confident and professional.

24. These are some great tips. I haven’t heard the phrase elevator pitch in a really long time. I guess I could brush up on mine.

25. Crystal says:

At blogging conferences, that’s often all the time we’ve got to introduce ourselves to others in our profession or brands we’d like to work with. I need to practice my elevator speech.

26. I had no idea that an elevator speech was a short speech that you give to tell others about your business or services. I do like the emphasis on short. So many people fail at conciseness.

27. Sarah Bailey says:

I have to admit without a good think I don’t know what I would say in 30 seconds I’m such a rambler, definitely need to work on my elevator speech!

28. Catherine Sargent says:

Thanks for the great tips. This is something that I need to think about and practice. I couldn’t explain what I do in 30 seconds or less right now.