How To Stay Fit And Healthy When You Work From Home

• 1

How do you stay fit and healthy when you are working from home?   I know this is something that is far from many persons minds as you try to hustle, but it is very important that you get into the habit of taking care of your health. Remember, if we are not well we cannot be productive.  So if you have been slacking off, may I suggest you take some time to remind yourself to stay fit and healthy while you work for that money.

Stay Fit

Make Exercise A Part Of Your Routine

The best thing to do is to get this done before you start working.  Experience has taught us that once we sit down and start working, it is the hardest thing to break away.  As hard as it is, the wisest thing to do is go for a run before starting your day.  If you are disciplined enough then get a few fitness items and carve out an exercise corner at home.

Don’t Forget To Eat

When you work from home sometimes eating is the last thing on your mind.  However, it is not a good idea to constantly skip meals.  If you struggle with this, then set a timer to warn you when it is time to eat.  Try to get something into your stomach within 1 – 2 hours of waking up.  It might be a good idea to prepare your meals on weekends, that way you do not have to stop to prepare meals when you are in the zone.  It is important for you to keep your energy up so start taking care of yourself by taking time to eat on time.  Keep water near to your desk so you can stay hydrated while you work!

How do you stay fit and healthy when you are working from home?

Standing Desks

I like to stand and work because too much sitting is not good for you.  It has been said that sitting is the new smoking, so monitor the amount of time you spend sitting hunched over your desk.  I did a little research and found some standing desks that are not too expensive.  Take a look at them and see if any of these might work for you.   If you don’t feel like purchasing a standing desk, then be sure to get up often from your seat.  If you have a laptop place it on the kitchen table and work, instead of on a traditional desk

Autonomous – Smart Desk

Varidesk

Versatables

Stay Fit With Exercise Ball Chairs
Active Sitting & Balance Ball Banner

If you are brave enough, then this exercise ball chair is the perfect solution.  Get it in your favorite color and add some spark to your office space.

Keep water near to your desk so you can stay hydrated while you work!

Many people who work from home are so focused on meeting deadlines and making that money that they tend to put health and fitness on the back burner.   This is just a reminder to pay close attention and remember to stop and breathe because you only have one body.

What do you do to stay fit and healthy when you work  from home?

Follow Me: Facebook      Twitter      Pinterest      Google+     Stumbleupon    Bloglovin

• 1
  • 1

1. Missy says:

I’m laughing at the part about forgetting to eat because I do that all the time. Great tips!

2. Standing Desks tip is my favorite here. Since I have had a work at home, I noticed my tummy bloated a little, that’s because of longer hours sitting. I should get a higher table and try standing while doing my job.

Sounds like a plan Claire. At least you are aware that there needs to be a change and that is the first step.

3. Amber Nelson says:

I need to stay fit! I don’t work at home but I find that by the time I get home at night, I don’t want to workout. I need motivation!

Amber…yup, we all need to stay fit regardless of where we work

4. This reminds me, I need to get another exercise ball. I can’t even remember what happened to mine, but it’s no longer with us. I think it popped one day.

Well Aduke my niece decided to pop one of mine and I was not amused at all.

5. wendy says:

I have gotten into the habit of when my son gets on the bus; I walk a mile away from the house and a mile back every morning. (unless it is raining) It makes me feel better! I love all your tips and want to mix it up a bit and try some of them!

6. Brittany says:

This is the first year I’ve truly tried hard to get healthier. I’ve always thought of myself as a healthy person but it all changed this year.

7. Yasmin Ali says:

I hope to become a remote worker one day, like a digital nomad! This would be so beneficial by then!

8. Lara says:

Some great reminders. You’re right – if you don’t work out before you start work for the day, you likely will never stop to do it!

Lara, tried and proven so I am speaking from experience…LOL

Lara most persons will not stop. Once the creative juices get going, all bets are off.

9. Amy says:

Just the post I needed to read. Working from home certainly means sitting down a lot and pigging out on good.

10. My first year at home I really struggled with getting up and moving. It’s taken time but I’ve slowly gotten into some good habits! I would love a ball though, that would be awesome

Angela, I think it does take getting used to. I am glad you have found a rthym

11. Standing desks are a great idea, and I also like the exercise ball chairs. But what I’m really dreaming of in my “perfect dream” home office is a treadmill desk. I love those!

AuthorBrandi…you have gone way past all of us here….LOL…a treadmill desk….cool

12. CourtneyLynne says:

Some really great suggestions here! I work from home and I will admit, it’s so easy to just be lazy and sit all day which is never a good thing.

13. Lydia says:

These were such great tips. I don’t work from home, although I blog 40+ hours a week (my other job I’m standing constantly).

14. HOLLY says:

These are all great. I am not only a wahm but I have two little kiddos to watch at the same time! I never have time to work out so I needed this post!

15. Shoshana Sue says:

Eating is something I never ever forget to do haha. I think working from home would make me snack endlessly because I would be making unnecessary trips to the kitchen. Working from home takes discipline and so does staying fit.

Shoesana…LOL…you made me smile with that first statement. Yes it takes discipline to work at home and exercise

16. Amanda Love says:

I absolutely don’t like the idea of sitting in front of the computer for hours and hours everyday. It is simply not good for anyone and it hurts my back so much as well. I think these are great ways to stay fit while working at home.

Amanda, not only is it bad for your back, it is bad for your eyes.

My kids sometimes laugh at me when they see me working standing up. I think it’s a great way to keep yourself from sitting down too often.

Elizabeth, that is a great practice. Just remember to strike that balance between sitting and standing

18. I know a few people who purchased standing desks and they like them.
    They are very ergonomic, with lots of adjustable features, plus they keep you burning a few more calories than sitting! 🙂

Seattle Travel Blogger, that is very cool. Sounds like they are really liking it

19. These are all great tips, I am actually looking into buying a standing desk 😉

20. Great tips! Exercise is a key part of my daily routine! Keeps me both productive and creative! Thanks for sharing!

…And thank you Brianne for taking the time to stop by and commenting

21. I’ve been concentrating on my fitness more and more lately as I do work from home myself. I’m going to use all of your tips and especially going to start keeping water on my desk.

Yes Terri, we can all start with the water. That’s a great place to start

22. This is good advice, I can literally lose hours absorbed in my writing! I have to remember to get up every now and again and drink!!

Donna, tell me about it. You get into a story and before you know it time has passed.

23. It must be so hard when you work from home to remember to eat proper meals and not just snacking all the time. I’d have to make time to go out for walks every day if it was me x

24. Elizabeth says:

These are some great suggestions! It can be so easy to get engrossed in work and forget to take care of ourselves. I do a 30 minute workout every morning, and then go for a walk or mountain bike ride in the afternoon to counteract all the sitting at my desk! I should get one of those ball chairs..

25. Good job! I really need this cause I work from home as well! 😀

XOXO // Check out my latest post if you like 😉
    SINCERELY OPHELIA | CELINE TRIO REVIEW

26. Katrina gehman says:

it can be done, but seems to be easier to not eat healthy and to snack all day long. at least that’s the case for me.

Katrina yes it can be done…we just have to commit to doing it.

27. I know that ball chairs are supposed to be amazing. And I agree that not forgetting meals and exercising regularly is such an important thing. And it’s so easy to get distracted.

David…I love those ball chairs and the magnificent array of colors

28. Coralie says:

These are great tips. I need to get better about being more active since I work from home.

29. I love working from home, but I must admit that sometimes I forget to eat or to take breaks like I would in an office. I’m been thinking about getting a standing desk because sitting all day gets tiring.

Cindy that is the drawback about working from home. We forget to take breaks and vacations and personal time.

30. Muna Kenny says:

Awesome tips! I most of the time forget about eating since the times passes so fast and I hardly notice it!

31. Forget to eat? Not this lady! I have to remember to stand up and walk around, though, because I get too involved in the work.

32. OvenStruck says:

Standing desks have always been my preference! The one thing I really need to remember to do is eat. I always forget to do that lol

Ovenstruck if you need to set an alarm then do that. This is not good for your body at all

33. E. Smith says:

I really want to invest in a standing desk – that would be super helpful!

E. Smith, that is the ideal. Once that can adjust to varying heights so you can also sit when necessary.

34. Olivia says:

My mom works from home. Sometimes when I am off from school we take breaks during the day and do stretches or walk around the block.

35. Kimberly C. says:

Some good tips. When I worked from home it was easy to exercise because I made my own schedule. Now that I’m not at home all the time, I find it challenging…. There’s always something… Gotta get that exercise in though.

36. When I am home and working on my blog I used my bed as I don’t have a desk but it is really bad for my posture. I like the idea of getting a standing desk x

Ana, until you get a standing desk it is best to work at your kitchen counter sometimes.

37. Mandy Carter says:

Remembering to eat is no problem for me 🙂 I would love to have an exercise ball desk chair!

38. karen says:

Such great reminders about how to keep that balance while working from home. And, the eating part can be tricky with getting all the protein/veggies/etc… when it might be easier to just snack.

Karen, it is so easy to snack when you should be eating properly. If its not in the house you won’t be tempted though

39. Raine C.S. says:

These are some good points. I find when I work from home I’m a notorious meal skipper. I find the time can easily slip by and next thing I know its dinner time and I haven’t eaten anything yet. Setting an alarm is a good idea.

Raine, we have to do what we can to take care of ourselves. Or what we earn will go to the doctors.

40. These are great tips! It’s hard to remember to even get up and walk around when working from home!

Marcia, you are so right about that. Hence the reason I felt it was important to remind us all.

41. Agreed that sitting too long is not healthy. Stand or move around after an hour is what I usually do at home. Great tips!

Yes Hey Sharonoox that makes sense, even every 2 hours is better than nothing.

42. I have been working in and out of the home for many years. I have put back on the weight. Great tips.

43. I just ordered myself a new standing desk! I think that it is so important to stay healthy while being a work-from-home mom.

44. I am so jealous of everyone who says they sit all the time. Would you all like to borrow my toddler? I work by carrying my laptop up and down the house, inside and out. Very productive. I really need help with the eating part though – not that I forget, I just forget that I have the option to eat better things than what I choose.

45. Andrea says:

this is such a great post, people think working from home is easy and that you don’t need to pay attention to staying healthy and fit. I work from home and also have a part time job outside and I will say that at times I get so caught up in what I am working on that I totally forget to eat and drink water. Or like my creativity is on and I can’t even think about anything else. Thanks for sharing! The standing desk idea is awesome!

Yup when those creative juices are flowing, you have to pay attention or you get sucked in.

46. I work from home now and can definitely relate. It’s easy to sit and never move all day. A standing desk and breaks are very important.

Thesocialbeing…yes when you are in that zone you can forget to do a lot of things

47. GiGi Eats says:

I got to the gym every morning – for 2 hours – then I work at a stand-up desk at home – and midway through my workouts, I go for a walk. I also eat very healthfully. I definitely take care of myself.

48. Perfect timing on this post! I’ve been thinking about adding one of those standing desks to my home office. It would really make life a lot easier. That, or use my kitchen counter more often instead of our bed.

Fatima the kitchen counter is way better than sitting in the bed…LOL

49. It’s important to take breaks and stand up. Sitting in front of the computer all day can really take a toll on your health. Exercise does a lot as well.

Carol as they have stated “sitting is the new smoking” and I believe that

50. I sit a lot at work. Literally spend 98% of my day in a chair. Maybe I need to get one of those standing desks?

Jessica, at work there are many things that you can do. Look for the stairs, use the bathroom on another floor, do not park close to the office etc

51. Gosh all offices need standing desks! I am sure it would save health services a fortune! As hunter-gatherers we are not designed to be sat down all day!

Lisa, I agree with you that all offices should at least have the option.

52. Michelle Waller says:

These are really great tips! I have been looking at a few standing desks to help get me moving and up and about throughout the day.

Well Michelle I hope you find what you are looking for. Do share when you have found it

53. Bernadette Callahan says:

This can definitely be an issue. I am a stay at home with kids at home so I try to get outside for at least an hour everyday. Summer months can be kinda difficult though because it gets so hot.

Bernadette, during the summer anything you have to do outside, do it early or later in the evening

54. Tina Gleisner says:

Just got my standup desk & love it. Have to now build a routine as I only like standing for about an hour and a half, and then I need (want?) to sit down.

55. Such an important topic. Working from home is great but can lead us to not take care of ourselves. Love every tip on your list, thanks for sharing.

And thank you Adriana for taking the time to read and leave a comment.

56. Chris says:

GREAT article.. I’ve been putting away a few extra pounds while staying at home. This info will be handy!

Chris
    Heyyouredblue.com

57. Staying healthy while working from home is so important these days especially when we stay home. Since most days the most movement we get is lifting a cup of coffee to drink

LOL…Janella..some people do not even lift a cup of coffee..instead they lift a can of soda which makes it even worst

58. Alicia says:

I walk my older 2 kids to and from the bus stop everyday 🙂

Alicia, good for you. This is also teaching the kids the value of exercise

Alicia that is a great way to also teach your kids the value of staying fit and healthy.

59. Amber Myers says:

I’m tempted to get one of those standing desks. I like the idea of them.

I don’t have a problem with forgetting to eat. My issue is eating too much, ha.

LOL…Amber you made me smile. A standing desk sounds like the winner of the day.

60. Athena says:

I totally want a standing desk. I don’t work from home but trying to burn calories with a desk job is a total killer.

Athena do share if you find a good one so I can add this to the list

61. Jolleen says:

Ugh, the struggle is so real! Now that I blog full time, I find myself slowly becoming a couch potato. lol It’s where all the tough work gets done 😉 These are good tips!

62. Tara Pittman says:

Great tips. I need to put a bottle of water on my desk so I will drink more water.

63. Donnabeth says:

I’m more health conscious now that I start feeling different kinds of pains I didn’t feel when I was younger. We truly need to keep our health in mind because our ability to work and enjoy life depends on it.

Donnabeth I could not have said it better. We really need to pay close attention to what we are doing

64. Thanks for these tips. When I’m not with a client, I’m doing a ton of computer work. I hate it. I’ve been thinking about a standing desk. Thanks for the links.

Tonya, the standing desk is a great idea, especially one that you can chose to stand or sit.

65. robin rue says:

I always use the upstairs bathroom, so that way I at least have to climb the stairs a few times throughout the day.

Robin that is a fantastic idea…I never thought of that one. Thanks for sharing that

66. At times I do find myself bringing work home and than I have started my blog site… I oftentimes forget to eat or exercise. I find myself getting so involved in my work that the time escapes me and I do forget to eat. Thanks so much for the reminder… take care and stay blessed Queen! ~ejnosillA

ejnosillA…that is the reason I decided to write this post. I realize that we can get so caught up in the work that we forget about those things.

67. Liz says:

These are some great ideas on staying fit. It is very important to be healthy. I like the idea of running to start the day, I think you will feel better and work better.

Yes Liz, for me it really does make a difference and sets the tone for the rest of the day.

68. katriza says:

As a blogger I definitely need to keep this stuff in mind for later. My current exercise and fitness routine is chasing my toddler boys around!

Katriza, that will definitely count as exercise. These kids are so active…LOL

69. Vicky says:

This is a great post! I especially love the water part, I always forget how much we need it working on a computer all day!

Vicky, I am guilty as sin….LOL…this post is also for me because I need to take heed as well.

70. Melody Rosa says:

I just got a standing desk at home thanks to Hay Needle great discounts on desk I love it, great tips

Melody care to share some pics? I think standing desks are going to be the future, at least I hope so…LOL

71. Pierre says:

I like to take nice leisurely walks to the nearby shopping centres.