7 Countries Where International Students Can Study For Free/Almost Free

• 6

International students can study for free or almost free in many countries. College tuition fees are rising each day and this has put the dream of a college education out of the reach of many.   In order to get a college education, without drowning in debt, international students will have to think outside of the box.

Foreign Students

One such out of the box thinking is studying in a foreign country.   If you are not afraid of an adventure, then take a ride with me to seven countries where tuition is free or almost free for  foreign students. Not all these courses are taught in English and the universities are public/state universities.

7 Countries Where International Students Can Study For Free

Germany

Germany has become the country of choice for many international students.  Whether you speak German or English, there are plenty of options for any student.   Tuition is free for foreign students and the cost of living is not too bad either.  There are a few states that tuition but that is as little as 500 Euros per semester. Students can expect to pay less than 1000 Euros per month. Some schools may charge a minimal administration fee or semester contribution.

Sweden

Many Universities in Sweden offer tuition waivers to international students.   Even though the tuition is not automatically free, the waiver will still make the cost much more affordable than many other universities around the world.  Cost of living is less than 1000 Euros per month per student.

Finland

Regardless of your nationality, there are no tuition fees to study in Finland.  The estimated living expenses for students will be less than 1000 Euros per month

Norway

State universities/colleges in Norway are tuition free for all students.  There is a semester fee of NOK 300-600 which has to be paid in order to take advantage of the many benefits that are offered to students.  The living expenses per month can run up to 1500 Euros.

France

If you have approximately 200 Euros, you can study at one of France’s top rated public university. Please note that some courses such as engineering or medicine tend to cost more and I am sure you can understand why.

Brazil

Apart from minor registration fees, getting a College Education in Brazil is free.  Living expenses for students in Brazil are also very low, sometimes even lower than students studying in Europe.

Austria

Non EU students attending school in Austria can expect to pay about 800 Euros per semester for tuition and fees.   It gets even sweeter for students from least developed countries as they might be exempted from tuition fees depending on the situation.   Again the living expenses for foreign students can be less than 1000 Euros per month.

Disclaimer:  Please be sure to double-check with any university that you have chosen to make sure that your program is subsidized before enrolling

Resources

Study in Austria

Study in Brazil

Study in Finland

Study in France

Study in Norway

Study in Sweden

• 6
  • 6

1. It’s amazing that the countries an extremely lower and some almost free. What are we doing wrong? it’s so costly here.

Nicole you know I thought the same thing myself the other day. Why is it so expensive in some places? I wish I had the answer to that question

2. Wow this is some really great information. I’d love to go study on France. It’s where I want to go visit most.

Karissa then what are you waiting for? You have the information to start so get going and let us know how it went

3. Glenda Kruse says:

Wow that’s so cool. I never knew this! Thanks for the information.

4. I actually sent the link to my sister because she wanted to study abroad. This is really a good list.

5. Megan McCoig says:

I wish my studies were free – life would be a lot better. Thank you for sharing these – I have so many friends that knew nothing about free education.

Megan the key is to not jump straight to student loans as many people do. Way before college starts it is important to start searching to see what is out there in terms of financial aid

6. I think it is so ridiculous that we don’t have free education at the college level here in the United States. These other countries have the right idea to help our young people get educated.

Toughcookie…it might not be free but it could be a little less expensive. Students either cannot afford to go or they end up leaving with huge student loan debt

7. CourtneyLynne says:

I have a really good friend who is going to college in Sweden!!! I was so happy for her when she told me about it! Awesome she can go to school there and get a degree and not have to worry about loans!

CourtneyLynne that is super cool that you know someone. I would love to hear of her experience there

8. Ann Bacciaglia says:

I had no idea these countries offered such low cost education. I think it should be cheaper for students.

Ann yup there are universities that many people can still afford without selling their mother

9. Koko says:

I like the new layout! How are you? 🙂

I am good and thanks for the compliment, the only sad part is I lost all my followers. So now I am almost back to zero. Have to figure out a way for this

10. How wonderful! I wish there were more programs like this locally. I was so thankful to get a scholarship but most people I know had to take out loans.

11. Tonya C says:

This is great info to know. Especially since my daughter will be starting high school soon. Then college not to far!

Tonya I would start checking them out from now. Get your daughter to take the schools one by one and see what they have to offer.

12. LeAnne says:

Umm can i go back to school and take advantage of these opportunities. but i’ll definitely be passing this along to my cousins who are still in high school.

Why not LeAnne? Please do pass it on because if it can help at least one family that would be awesome

13. Ron Leyba says:

Very nice info and find. For sure many students will love this information. Will share this at my timeline.

Ron thank you for your kind words and thank you for sharing on your timeline. I am sure some family will appreciate this

14. Bismah says:

Educational costs keep rising so much. It is good to know that there are schools that will provide education to international students for free or low cost. Hopefully more countries will offer the same or similar in the years ahead.

Bismah I cannot understand how these leaders can allow this to happen. If they continue to price this out of our reach then only the rich will have a college education and that cannot be good for any country

15. RaNesha says:

I wish I had this opportunity what a great experience.

RaNesha thank you for stopping by and please share this with anyone who can benefit

16. That is incredible! I would love to study in Germany, but thought it would be too expensive!

Shannon as it stands Germany seems to be the least and more lucrative of them all. All the best to you and so share your experience with us

17. It’s troubling how much we pay for even a basic education in the U.S or even, to a degree, in Canada, compared with many European countries who are fortunate to have a much better system!

Lalia it is beyond troubling. Higher education is big business so it is not worth their while to do much about it.

18. Getting a good education for our kids or even for our selves is the best reward and satisfaction. And getting it for Free is like winning a jackpot. One really needs to find ways and be educated in all aspects they can.

Agnes I could not agree with you more. Higher education has gotten so expensive these days

19. Laci says:

How neat and different my in laws get an a exchange student ever gear and ita really neatm

20. Tara says:

I am a big believer in studying abroad. I did my student teaching in England and loved it!

21. I took one semester in Paris and it was very expensive. But I was in a private school. I would think there would be strict acceptance standards for public universities. There are plenty of French students who would love to be studying in these places, if only they could get in.

International students are in every university Eva…they come from all over the world and are accepted as long as they meet the requirements. Many universities reserve a few spaces just for international students to encourage a balance

22. Amanda Love says:

I’ll be sharing this with my daughter. She’s currently in college but she was thinking of doing 1 year international. This is good to know.

Amanda that is a very great idea. I think all undergrads should get to spend a year abroad

23. Scarlett says:

This is such great info since I have a sixteen year old. I knew of Germanh but not others.

Scarlett and I believe there are many others as well. As I get the research done I will add more to the list

24. courtney says:

It’s so ridiculous that it’s so expensive to go to school. More countries should follow those footsteps or at least cut the costs.

Courtney it is really getting out of hand. What is going to happen is just one set will have access to higher education and I don’t have to tell you what can happen because of that

25. Urvi says:

I totally had no idea about it. Thanks for sharing it will be so helpful.

26. DANI CC says:

We had no idea about this. Thank You for sharing. Free education abroad seems the route to go.

I had no idea! This is definitely something to consider seriously!

28. Heather says:

It is very cool to have those options available! I often wish that I didn’t take out so many student loans 🙂

29. Michelle Blackwood says:

I studied for free in England and its was one of my biggest blessings in my life. The exposure to different cultures .

Michelle good for you. I had that on my bucket list as well of places to study

30. Debra says:

I always wanted to study abroad but it didn’t work out for me. THese are great options!

31. christina aliperti says:

This is really great to know. I love that students can take advantage of these benefits while living abroad.

Christina we are living in exciting times. The internet has brought so much to us that we were not aware of

32. Maya says:

Really!?! I’ve never heard this before!!! Definitely taking notes on this!

Interest idea!, ive been wanting to enter college for some time, maybe outside this country is the better option ?…

34. katrina gehman says:

wow this is great information! very interesting. i’ll be saving this!

Katrina please do that and also pass it on to someone else who could use this information

35. tp keane says:

Wow, I had no idea that foreign students could study for free. right, uni, here I come, watch out.

TP this is something I have known about for years. We have to stay abreast of what is going on around us

36. Christine says:

This is such a great list! I would love to go to Germany!

Christine actually that is where i would also like to go if I had it to do all over again

37. Katy says:

I always wanted to study aboard when I was in college. I had no idea so many countries make it so cheap, wish I knew this when I was still in school.

Katy…sorry the list is so late…please pass this on to someone who could use it

38. I didn’t realize there were so many cheap study abroad opportunities out there! I would love to be able to take advantage of this.

39. Jessica says:

Very interesting! I wish I had seen this list when I was in college! I studied in Australia which was an amazing experience – I think everyone should live abroad at some point in their lives!

Jessica that is great, I hear that is a great place for international students. I totally agree with you about everyone living abroad at some point in their lives

40. Lawrence Hamilton says:

I need to show this to my wife and teenage daughter.

Lawrence please do and have her show her friends. We want to help anyone who wants to get rid of student loan debts

41. Melisa says:

I was just discussing this with my mother a few days ago. I was telling her that I wanted to have my kids learn to speak a couple foreign languages so that they would have the option to study abroad. Not only is it a financial helper, it also gives them a chance to have some truly amazing experiences.

Melisa that is so true….we have to get creative and kids need to know what goes on in other parts of the world

42. Great post Mardene. I had no idea that there were countries offering free study so that’s good to know for future reference. Thanks for sharing 🙂

43. I wasn’t aware of this! Great information for the world!

44. Dana says:

I so wish I knew of this when I was in college.

Dana I think we all wished that especially those who are struggling with student loans

45. Michelle T says:

This us very informative. I didn’t know this before about the different countries. I am going to share this with others that are students.

Michelle, yes please share it with those who need it. Let us see if we can cut down on student debt

46. michele says:

Oh this is so interesting!! I’m going to have to look into this because I love to travel! Great post xx felinebykatsaris.com

Michele this is a great way to travel and learn about other cultures. Who knows you might like it so much you stay

47. BerryRipe says:

Austria would be amazing. That’s high on my list. Too bad i’m done with my studies!

Austria sounds like a plan…LOL…well pass this on to someone who could use this BerryRipe

48. what a great resources! I would love to know about this a few years earlier haha

Ana can I tell you? I have friends who studied in Russia when university was free and that was years ago. I guess the internet has brought a lot to light

49. Nicole Escat says:

Wow! That sounds really great. Good to know! That would be helpful for students that can’t afford studying.

Nicole, yes it is…if parents can get onto this they can save themselves a lot of money and the student would not be saddled with an exorbitant bill after graduation

50. This is great! My oldest is about to graduate, so I’m going to forward it on to her 🙂

Rachel that is fantastic news….please pass this on, he may very well be up for the adventure..

51. Izabela says:

I’m really glad I graduated years ago when tuition fees were much lower than they are now. High fees are a barrier for many people to pursue higher education.

Izabela…LOL..I guess you dodged that bullet. Seriously though people are either not getting a college education or getting into too much debt to get one.

52. Jessica says:

I never knew that countries offered learning for free. Thank you for sharing. I will definitely share this info in case anyone I know wants to study abroad.

Jessica it pays to read and research. That is what I did when I decided to do graduate studies in the USA…after 2 graduate degrees I am not in any debt because I paid attention

53. This is absolutely amazing information and I for one am saving this post.My daughter is soon heading off to Uni …May she soar with no Uni burdens Thanks Mardene for sharing!

Julie if she is up for the adventure then do share it with her. You may very well save yourself a few dollars.

54. I had a friend once who wanted to study in Sweden, especially since there are no tuition fees lucky people!

Ana it is one of the greatest feeling to complete studies and not saddled with a huge bill afterwards

55. I must jot this list down.. To plan for further education for my kids.. Thanks for your information!

Kylie it makes total sense, especially if you have more than one child to plan for.

That’s amazing. It’s tough to get the education you need when you’re limited by your financial capabilities, so it’s good to know that there are countries that offer free education or a very affordable tuition fee. Thanks for the list!

Elizabeth I am happy to oblige. As you rightly say kids should not be hindered by finances when they get ready for a college education

57. What an interesting read. It doesn’t apply to me but does for friends.

58. Tina says:

I had no idea!! I don’t have a person of college age, but if I did I certainly would pass this valuable information on!

Tina please pass this information to someone at church or a neighbor or any other persons who can use this information

59. More wanna-be university students need to have this information! I studied overseas and got my Masters for free as well! Excellent post.

My niece did this while in school and loved it. It is a great way to travel.

61. I had no idea that foreign students could also receive free (or almost free) tuition in some countries. This is great information for when my daughter graduates in a few years.

Gwendolyn you would be surprised at the amount of information out there. Research is key and that is how I knew I could leave Jamaica and study in the USA for almost nothing as well. While people living in the USA were not even aware

62. Kaley says:

I’ve been debating getting my masters in Germany… but I don’t really even know if I’ll need my masters… it’s mainly just to get to Germany which isn’t a great reason. 😛

Kaley that is reason enough for me…LOL…I did 2 tour of duties to study in the USA (from Jamaica) and I did it on scholarships. It is quite possible to graduate without huge debts

63. Crystal Gard says:

I had no idea about any of these. Great opportunity for students!

Crystal there are so many opportunities out there, parents and students just have to be willing to look and think outside of the box

64. Andrea says:

Any time and in any country where a foreign student can study for free or almost free…. 🙂

65. R U S S says:

Aaah, you just made my day. I am planning to study again for my masters. I will we definitely check these countries and programs offered.

RUSS I am happy to have been of service. All the best and please share your experience here

66. Anne Lauria says:

Studying abroad can be so rewarding! I had never thought about the financial aspect, though! I’ve got so many friends who have chosen this path and not a single one regretted it.

It really is…students get a chance to learn about other cultures which can make them more tolerant

67. Jlue says:

Very interesting post. While it will cost people to study abroad, it is a great idea. A true education will never be free, however. It costs to produce a quality education such as Hillsdale and a few others around our nation. Government schools are getting more and more expensive, while the quality of the education isn’t improving. We need to find a way to support colleges locally. The more intrusive the federal government gets the higher the costs has been. On the other hand, if Bernie gets his way, and they become “free” our economy will collapse due to our already having a $20,000,000,000,000 debt. Did we not learn from the USSR what happens when government controls production?

68. I seriously wish I would have considered studying abroad for my Uni degree, instead I’m in so much debt!

Jasmine I think because it is so easy for students in the USA to get loans many times people do not think of alternatives

69. I am in an amazing amount of debt from a college education. I should have studied abroad.

Trish I am amazed as well. I am from Jamaica and I studied in the USA twice without debt so I think more students should look around for funding instead of going straight to student loans

70. This is great information to consider when choosing higher education.

Laura I believe that every parent need to start thinking outside of the box when it comes to College education and student loans

71. Robin Masshole Mommy says:

This is great to know for students. I am sure they will find this info helpful if they are looking to study abroad.