Facebook Groups – Learning How To Play

I think most of us have heard about Facebook Groups, even if we don’t actually belong to any of them.   Here are a few tips that can help to make the experience a little more pleasant.

Facebook Groups Etiquette

Facebook Groups

If you have been visiting my blog for a little while you probably notice that I write a lot about how we are to conduct ourselves as bloggers.   Blogging is a contact sport so that is the first thing we need to always remember.   In one article I discussed bloggers customer service, while in another, I talked about Reciprocation and the Art of Blog Commenting.  Today I want to talk about some of the things that we need to think about as we work on Facebook groups.  If you have the time, Facebook Groups are a wonderful way to meet new persons while building your business.

If you have the time, Facebook Groups are a wonderful way to meet new persons while building your…

Check For Your Name

I don’t know how many persons have completed an entire thread only to note with horror that your name is not there.  Yes, you heard me, you did not post to this thread.  So you have wasted precious time, commenting and sharing and you did not even post to this thread.  Raise your hand if this has even happened to you…..LOL…lesson learned and moving right along.  Whenever I go to start nonreciprocating, I check to make sure that a post is there for me. As a precaution, may I suggest you do the same?

This is the part that many of us have failed at, at least once.  The first thing to remember is to read the rules for the group as well as for each post.  There might be something specific for each post, so just glance over the rules before beginning. Ladies and gentlemen for heavens sake, if the rules states that you are to leave a post then please do not ask the bloggers to “select any post”.   The blogger is not obligated to go and search your page for a post, so they are within their rights to move on to the next person.   We are all pressed for time, so let us try not to give the bloggers additional work.   Make a note of the date that the post is due and try your best to complete in the designated time.  If you are not able to, then please contact the admins of the group.  I am talking to all of us, including myself because sometimes we get bogged down with work, family or school; but we also have an obligation here.

Don’t Be Thin Skinned

Okay, I know you feel like your post is beyond reproach and the best thing since sliced bread, but let us not forget that people are people.  If you are going to put your stuff out there and ask for persons to comment, there are times when you are not going to like the outcome.  You can’t be all sensitive and thin skinned if you are going to be a successful blogger.  People are not always going to respond the way you like, so prepare yourself for this and develop a way to deal with it.  If the comment is offensive then you have a right to delete it, but if it is just a matter of opinion, then that is just a part of the trade.  The last thing you want to do is get into an all out war on your page because people will want to avoid working with you.   We are adults and we can resolve issues without alienating everyone who says something “negative” about something we have posted.

Posting Across Platforms -Mix It Up

When posting across platforms, it might help if you mix it up a bit if the blogger needs to leave a comment.  If you need a comment for a post on Facebook as well as for a blog post, do not leave the same post.   Give bloggers something new on each platform if you need a comment.  When you have already commented on a blog post and then see the same thing on Facebook asking for another comment, it is not a very nice, nor easy thing to do.  I try not to leave the same post across platforms (for the same group) whenever comments are a requirement.   I urge you to also think about this as it will make the reciprocation experience a little easier for all of us.  If you also chose to post the same thing week after week then please do not get offended when persons just pass it by.   Just put yourself in the shoes of the other bloggers, think about how you feel when you encounter some of these things and act accordingly.

Make It Easy To Comment & Share

We are all busy and trying to cover all of the reciprocations we need to do.  Make it easy for us to share and comment when we get to your blog.  Sometimes it is not so obvious and it can be a tad frustrating.  Some persons might even move on without sharing or commenting if they have to spend precious minutes trying to figure this out. If possible have a floating bar so persons can comment no matter where in the article they are.

Un-following

Guys this is so not cool.  There are persons who follow just to be followed then un-follow shortly afterwards.  I would prefer if you did not bother to follow if that is your aim.   I am not sure what is the rationale behind this practice but ladies and gentlemen, this is so unprofessional and unfair to the person who followed you.  If you are not comfortable following a particular blog, then say that.  At least the other person can make an informed decision whether they want to still support you, even though you are not supporting them.

It is better to finish late than not at all.  I think we have all missed a post along the way, but when you find out about it…JUST DO IT

Facebook Groups have helped me a great deal to build my blog.   If it is used in the right way it can help yours too.   May we all try our best to follow the rules of the groups that we choose to be a part of.

When posting across platforms mix it up a bit if the blogger needs to leave a comment

What is your favorite Facebook Group and do you have any strategies to share with us?

Follow Me: Facebook      Twitter      Pinterest      Google+     Stumbleupon    Bloglovin    Instagram

1. Blair villanueva says:

What a great post and reminder for us. I joined many FB group because it helps my blog and also reading and interacting with them makes me.inspired to create my next post.

2. Annemarie LeBlanc says:

That happened to me too. Good thing it was only a FB like thread. I would be so frustrated if it was a comments thread with 35 or more joiners! When I work on completing the threads I joined, I have two browsers open. One for the comments threads, the other for the clickity-clicks. It is time consuming, and sometimes you can’t complete on time because of some family issue.

3. I am so happy that I read this. Very useful information especially following the group rules. It is amazing how many people do not follow them.

4. This is such great information! Facebook group can be fun when everyone recip on the thread.

5. misty nelson dawn says:

What an informative post I really love reading this and so glad you share this with us I will keep this in my mind.

6. The thread thing—I’ve completely done that myself! And it was a VERY long thread. And it was only when I didn’t see my name by the end that I realized what I had done. Oh well. Live and learn, I suppose!

LOL Leila…why does it always seem like it is the long ones that this happens with…

7. Tione says:

I always check for my name before I start to reciprocate cause I would never want to use all my time finishing a long thread and did not get back the support that I gave.

8. These are all so true!! Great reminder for all who have been participating in share threads!

9. Erinn Sluka says:

A lot of great information in one spot. I have left many groups due to many not following through http://www.parentinghealthy.com/

10. Really helpful, I am my self in some groups and I always even if I am late I finish them, I think it is not fair to not reciprocate, because is hard job and we need to commitment with our colleagues. I have learn a lot from them and I am so happy to be in that big community.

Lorena, sometimes I am very late because of sickness or internet issues but I try to always finish

11. Elizabeth says:

Facebook groups can be such a valuable resource when used correctly. Great tips and tricks in this post!

12. Julie Syl says:

I do love joining in Facebook Groups, it’s really help for my blog and social shares. Facebook Groups are really helpful to connect and support each members.

Julie I so agree with you. That is why it is so important that we operate professionally

13. christine says:

Great tips!! This is such a huge platform for us bloggers.

14. Nellwyn says:

This is great advice for anyone who is knew to Blogger Groups! I started joining some about a year ago and they’ve been amazing resources for me.

15. Athena says:

Ahhh. Etiquette is always an issue whether it is Facebook groups, blogging, photography, writing etc… There are always a whole host of unwritten (sometimes written) rules and expectations and it is best to get a handle on them before something goes wrong.

16. Sarah Bailey says:

This is such a great post, I run a couple of Facebook Groups and the one we have threads in it is amazing how many people don’t reciprocate, for me it’s all about helping a fellow blogger and I would feel awful if I didn’t do it!

Sarah, that is exactly how I feel…I think about the person who reciprocated and that makes me want to do my part.

17. Jess says:

Thanks a lot for these tips! I always seem to miss some people on the threads, so I really need to make an effort to improve! 🙂

Jess, I think we have all missed someone or even a whole post sometimes. The thing is when you find out, then do what needs to be done

18. heather says:

I love this! I participate in groups all of the time and yeah you know when someone isn’t reading the rules! 🙂

19. What a great post and tips. It’s important to follow the rules in groups and make sure to finish them.

20. robin rue says:

So many people either don’t read the rules before posting or drop links and never come back to reciprocate. I hope everyone reads this.

21. Ronnie says:

A big one for me is to never forget to return favors for other bloggers. There are always bad apples in the group who have no intention on returning favors or just don’t keep organized track so they forget altogether. It’s upsetting to spend time helping other bloggers out and not get the same in return.

22. Rosey says:

I have gone through a list and then come to find my name wasn’t on it. Checking first is a good idea.

Rosey…LOL…from the day it happened to me with that very long list, I always look before proceeding.

Facebook groups have benefited my blog so much but it also comes with its own set of challenges. Nothing is ever perfect so that’s expected. It’s important that we learn how to act appropriately though.

Elizabeth I agree with you. Some persons are just dishonest. We all slip up at times but there are those who are just dishonest

24. No doubt that facebook groups are here for the better but there will be times that you’ll face challenges. I think these are lovely tips on how to handle the challenges better.

25. Facebook groups are the necessary evil of the blogging world if you ask me. We have to reach a lot of people and Facebook groups are the best way to do that, but it time consuming and tedious. Plus, each group has its own set of rules, and each one is different from another. That makes it tough.

Dawn, I agree with you, it can be really tedious and some of the admins are a bit rude too

26. Read and follow the rules. Every time! Each thread is slightly different, especially from group to group. So read and reread those rules.

27. I think that has happened to everyone, finishing on a thread where you did not link up. It’s important to be a productive member of these groups.

Toughcookie…the first time I did that I just started laughing. It was either that or cry…LOL…and it was one of those long ones too.

28. Neha says:

It is really informative. The posts says so much to the new comer. It is astonishing to read something that really helps a lot.