9 Magazines That Pay $1000 For Freelance Writing

Are you looking to make $1000 for freelance writing? I am glad you said YES because I am about to show you 9 magazines that will do just that.

Freelance Writers

Freelance Writing For $1000 Per Article

Properly prepare before pitching to these magazines. They pay well so that means there is stiff competition so you need to be on point in your freelance writing.   I would suggest you read a couple of the magazines to see what kind of writing style is popular. It might also help to narrow down the topics that are most popular and those that you should avoid.

Down East – The Magazine of Maine

• Their articles are related to Maine
  • Accompany your pitches with two or three clips, to give an idea of your writing style.
  • Manuscripts should be sent as attachments, compatible with Microsoft Word.
  • Pitches should ONLY be sent via email to editorial@downeast.com, and mention the kind of images you envision accompanying your story
  • Depending on the subject and intended use in the magazine, payment can fall between $.40/word and $.70/word
  • Keep in mind that the magazine runs a three-month lead time
  • Most feature stories can run between 2,000 and 3,500 words  but pieces can run from 1000  – 6000 words
  • You might want to avoid these topics: “Profiles of farmers or trend pieces about organic farming/farm-to-table dining; Beer stories or brewery profiles;Stories about entrepreneurs selling Maine lobsters outside of Maine”

Douglas Business Magazine

• The magazine caters to Southern Vancouver Island’s business elite — entrepreneurs, influential decision-makers, CEOs and upper management.
  • Their topics include: in-depth business features, profiles, real estate and development, finance, sales and marketing, technology, business lifestyle and resources
  • The magazine is designed to be a coffee table item
  • For samples of the journal visit pageonepublishing.ca/publications
  • Douglas Business Magazine has a 10 week lead time
  • Send an email to pitch@pageonepublishing.ca  to explain your idea for a story and how you plan to research or report.  Be sure to include “Douglas Query” in the subject line
  • Payment is 40 cents per word

Green Lifestyle Magazine – Simple Sustainable Living

• Caters to readers who are interested in environmental concerns while showcasing food, fashion, home and garden, books, finance, travel and more.
  • Green Lifestyle Magazine takes an evidenced based approach
  • They use every day products to help readers lower their environmental impact
  • The magazine used glossy, recycled paper to spread stories about issues that face the planet
  • The feature articles range from 800 – 2,500 words
  • Payment for articles range from $400 – $1500
  • Pitch stories to submissions@gmagazine.com.au.

Legion – Canada’s Military History Magazine

• Legion Magazine has a paid circulation of over 220,000
  • Published six times per year by Canvet Publications Ltd
  • The magazine covers military history, military and veterans affairs, policing issues, issues of concern to senior citizens, health, recreation, humour and current affairs
  • Stories range from 600 – 3000 words for a payment of $150 – $1,200
  • Sample copies are available on request
  • Send a query letter to magazine@legion.ca if you wish to contribute to Legion Magazine

MOAA – Military Officers Association of America

• Covers articles dealing with current military/political affairs; recent military history, especially Vietnam and Korea; personal financial planning; health and fitness; military family issues; retirement lifestyles; travel; and general interest
  • There is a 6 months lead time for featured articles
  • Submit detailed query (with resume) to editor@moaa.org; response time of 3 months
  • Features are between 1000 – 2000 words @ 80 cents per word

Northern Virginia Magazine

• The magazine is looking for profile stories with interviews of the region’s most prominent or notable figures
  • Articles typically range from 1500-1800 words
  • Northern Virginia Magazine also seeks stories about getaways, medicine, fashion/style, education, arts and business
  • Your article  worthy of publication should ask the question “Why should Northern Virginians care?”
  • Submit a query to Lynn@northernvirginiamag.com  and include story direction, research entailed, relevance to the time and region, and potential sources you would use. Please also include 3 samples of previous work
  • Freelance contributors will be paid $50 – $1000

Response Magazine

• Feature articles in Response Magazine are typically 2,000 words @ 60 cents per word
  • For consideration, submit query  to thaire@questex.com with 3 – 5 published articles, and your resume
  • Articles are to be submitted 40 days prior to publication month
  • Response Magazine publishes about 20 freelance articles per year
  • Magazine published monthly by Questex

YAM Lifestyle Magazine

• This is a lifestyle magazine
  • YAM requires a 10 week lead time
  • Typical magazine articles  are between 1,200 and 3,000 words but they also accept shorter pieces
  • Send writer’s query to pitch@pageonepublishing.ca  with subject line “YAM Query”
  • The query should include an explanation of the story idea and how you plan to proceed with the research/reporting; please also include your approach, tone, style, sources you intend  to use, and how qualified you are to write on the subject
  • Payment is 40 cents per word; paid on the 15th of the month after the article releases

YES Magazine – Powerful Ideas, Practical Actions

• Covers stories that cover the key issues today: climate change and environmental degradation; economic inequality; racial injustice; and the erosion of civil liberties
  • Feature stories are 700 – 2,200 words
  • Commentaries are 700 – 1,200 words
  • Check back copies of the magazine to make sure the story has not been covered before submitting a query
  • Send a pitch to submissions@yesmagazine.org with “PITCH” as the subject
  • Rates are typically 25 – 50 cents per word
  • Only start working on the full story when you have signed a contract with the magazine

Freelance writing is never easy but getting $1000 per article should sweeten the pot a bit.  For more places that pay for freelance writing please see my article 14 Places Paying Over $50 For Guest Posting.

Follow Me: Facebook      Twitter      Pinterest      Google+     Stumbleupon    Bloglovin

Information might have changed since the writing of this piece.  Please double check with each magazine for the most up-to-date information

1. This is great, thank you for sharing this list. I’ve been thinking about looking for freelance work, but unsure where to start.

2. Sara says:

I’m glad you shared this, I’ve been looking for some gigs like that. I’m glad to see that there are publications who to pay a fair amount to their writers.

Sara, it was a pleasant surprise considering what some person want to pay for your time and talent

3. CourtneyLynne says:

Great to know people still pay for articles! I am a contributor for a few extremely well known, household name type sites and yeah… they don’t pay -_-

4. katriza says:

I did some freelance writing before but I haven’t done any in about a year. I miss it. This definitely reminds me that I need to go back! Definitely going to check these out!

Katriza, I love writing but it is good to see persons who are willing to pay and pay good

5. Blair villanueva says:

Thank you for these tips! Am taking notes now coz this is an awesome opportunity 🙂

Blair, I think it really is an excellent opportunity for the right person

6. COOL! I’m saving this! A couple seem plausible. I have an MFA. $1,000 isn’t a lot compared to that tuition but it would certainly be a good start. I would not complain..

Hahhahahahahahahha…Elizabeth, I can just imagine that tuition for these Universities are not playing

7. Ra'Nesha says:

Thanks for the information I will look more into the opportunities in your post.

8. This is awesome resource! It’s great to know the market value for freelance. I’m not a freelance but I’ll bookmarked this for reference.

Hey Sharonoox I still work full time but I do some freelance work when I am on summer break

9. Michelle Waller says:

I love writing but never thought about doing freelance writing. This looks like an amazing way to work from home.

10. I didn’t realize there were so many magazines that take freelance writers. I always assumed that all magazines, even small magazines like some of these, always had staff writers.

11. Rachel says:

I’ve not heard of some of these but this is a great list! Thank you for pilling this together. I’m saving it.

12. Vera says:

This was very insightful. I never considered freelance writing, I just like to share my thoughts and help people. This is somethnig I would possibly consider once I get more established though.

Vera, this could also be a good way to get established. You have nothing to lose by pitching a story

13. This is a great resource for those trying to make a little extra money freelancing. It’s amazing how much money one can earn doing this.

14. This is a great resource for freelance writers who are looking to make some extra money. It’s amazing how much this kind of work pays.

15. lydia says:

Oh man! If only I was more creative. I struggle with writing my own blog posts, although these sounds awesome for writers!

16. Crazy. I could never write for money. I only have so many creative juices in me.

17. Amber Myers says:

Wow, this is great to keep in mind, thank you. I’ve done some freelance writing before and need to keep going with it.

Amber, I agree with you that it is just good to know that at least it is possible.

18. Brittany says:

Wow I had no idea! I’m always looking for places to do some more freelance writing! Especially during the summer when I’m trying to get a little extra cash!

Brittany, as I find them I put them together for those persons who are looking.

19. I’ve never considered freelance writing. I may reconsider now, though, since my blog content is getting closer to where I would like.

Kandace, It is not for everyone but it is a great way to make some extra cash especially if you love writing.

20. What a great resource for writers and bloggers. Who knew there were so many options that paid so well for writing. Thanks for sharing!!

21. Jeanine says:

It’s great that you shared this! AMAZING of all the writing opportunities out there for people who love to write and have it as a passion.

22. Laura says:

These look like some really great magazines and the opportunity to write for them would be amazing. Thank you so much for sharing!

…..and thank you Laura for taking the time to read and leave a comment.

23. Jessica Taylor says:

I have never heard of any of these, but I will definitely check them out. Any magazine that supports freelancers are definitely magazines I would love to read!

Jessica that is exactly what I think too…they are worth supporting

24. It’s nice to see publications paying their writers a fair price. So many people post jobs online that pay writers little to nothing. Great work deserves fair pay.

25. This is great as I am looking to get into freelancing! Thank you for sharing.

Lisa, I am glad I was able to help. I hope you find at least one that works

26. That’s quite a bit of money there! I need to check some of these magazines out. I would LOVE to get paid that much for my writing.

Mariella tell me about it. Can you imagine, just 3 of these per month?

27. HilLesha says:

This is amazing! I’m not a freelancer, but I may have to keep this in mind for the future. Thank you for sharing this information!

28. I think that it is really important to work on your writing as a blogger. This would be a great way to earn some extra cash.

29. Wow this is a great information! I will check this out!

30. reesa says:

Wow thank you so much for this awesome resource! I am going to save this. I have always wanted to get started in freelance writing, but didn’t know where to start!

31. Fascinating! These look like some great magazines to write for. I’m going to have to look into this!

32. I didn’t even know this was an option! Wow! So many great ways to make side income these days!

xx,

Lacey

I write articles but I have never contributed my services to these mags! It’s cool to that they’re paying good money to freelance writers.

Elizabeth perhaps you should try your hand at one of them. It is some serious cash

34. Amanda Love says:

It’s awesome to know which magazines you can offer your services to. It’s always nice to earn extra especially when you’re going to do something that you enjoy.

35. I am so saving this for later. I have been thinking about venturing into freelance, and this gives me some great places to look!

36. I am a freelancer writer myself although I don’t make much money so being able to be paid £1000 for one article would be enough to pay my rent and have a little bit of change left over. I am going to try the green lifestyle magazine x

Ana, I was just saying that seems to be the one for most people to start with

37. aish das-padihari says:

Freelance writing is the best. Great to get all these important information. Thanks for sharing.

38. Thanks so much for this informative list! This would be a great way to make a bit of cash to support my blog. So many great opportunities!

Yes Marcie, these are great opportunities to make some serious cash.

39. melissa says:

Tis is a nice list to be aware of if I need some writing jobs. I have to get my ideas together to pitch to some of these.

40. Neely Moldovan says:

Oh this is awesome to know. I used to do a lot of freelance work for magazines but its been ages.

41. Divya says:

Thanks for sharing these! I passed this off to a friend who is a freelancer and looking for some more projects this month!

42. karen says:

What a great resource of magazines who will pay. Really great for strong writers out there, or experts in those areas.

It’s very cool that these magazines are open to publishing new talent. It sounds like investing some time into some pitches could be worthwhile.

Liz, I think it will be worth your while if you are a strong writer

44. Kristina says:

Great opportunities for those who love writing. This can allow them to get their feet wet with this huge list. A lot to choose from.

Kristina, this is a great list, involves a lot of work but totally worth it

45. Annemarie LeBlanc says:

Thanks for this list. It is good to know of these opportunity. I will check them out and see if I meet the requirements.

46. Wow, this is a great list. As a freelance writer, I am pinning this for future reference and I’ll share it in a couple of my freelancing groups.

Britanny, good luck with the pitches, I hope you find one that suits you

47. daniella says:

I need to check this out! I love great little side hustle gems that help us all make a little extra cash!

48. Janel says:

Wow I didn’t know this type of work existed. I might have to look into some of these to see if I have something to offer and can maybe work out a deal with one of these companies .

49. robin rue says:

Ok, so I need to get on this one! Who doesn’t want to make some extra money and this is an easy way to do that 🙂

50. zim says:

Thanks for sharing these freelance opportunities for bloggers and writers. I know a few people who can benefit from your list.

51. Once again… you got what I need and looking for! I am putting my apps in so I can be considered… do you have any more leads on freelance writing and thanks!

EjinosillA there is a link to another post I did at the end of the article. Please check in now and then as I update as often as I can.