Vinyl Albums Are Making A Comeback

Vinyl albums are making a comeback.  How did you celebrate Record Store Day 2017?  I hope you are also preparing for Record Store Day 2018.

Vinyl Albums

How many of you have never heard about or even touched  a Vinyl Record?  Depending on your parent’s age, they might have listened to or heard about vinyl albums.  If Michael Kurtz has anything to do with it, then Vinyl Albums will definitely make a comeback.   Since April 2008, Michael Kurtz , along with Bruce Springsteen, Chuck D, Paul McCartney, U2 and others,  have pressed records for Record Day. This year Record Day was celebrated April 22 in over 3,000 independent stores around the world  where about 300 different records went on sale.

Record Day was celebrated April 22 in over 3,000 independent stores around the world.

In 1977 the number of new vinyl albums sold in the US reached its peak with over 344 million.  However, by 2006 sales were at an all time low, coming in at 0.9 million.  A cool thing happened in 2015 because the sales that year for vinyl albums rose to 16.9 million.  No doubt this was in response to the work done by Kurtz and his associates.  Many electronic stores are now carrying turntables for sale, something that would have been unheard of before this new vinyl craze.

When I met with label executives, most of them laughed.  The idea that we were going to relaunch vinyl records in 2008 seemed ridiculous (Michael Kurtz)

In 2015 the sales for vinyl albums rose to 16.9 million.

If you have been saving those Vinyl Records for years, now is the time to bring them out.  Invite a few friends over and have a vinyl party on a new turntable.  If you already have a turntable, dust it off and let the games begin. Get some friends and see if there is a participating record store near you.

So how did you celebrate Record Day 2017?  Let me know in the comments section and remember to prepare for Record Store Day 2018!

Follow Me: Facebook      Twitter      Pinterest      Google+     Stumbleupon    Bloglovin

Photos by Unsplash, Ponce_Photography and Aselajay

1. My parents and grandmother had a record player when I was a child. I loved listening to records on it! It’s been yeeeeears since I’ve heard one in person!

2. Lisa says:

I’ve always loved vinyl and still have quite a few, and a record player lol! There is a record store downtownhere that I love going into because of the smell!

3. Czjai says:

We still have a lot of vinyl albums at home. Most of them belonged to my late grandfather. 🙂

4. I’ve always been a huge fan of vinyl albums. I used to have a box full but gave them away to my grandmother -in-law.

5. Rosey says:

My daughter has a record player. She’s 18, lol. She loves her iPod, but she loves her vinyl too. The cost of the albums she likes is astounding though!

Aaaaw Rosey that is so sweet…it would be interested to see how many millennials have these

6. That is interesting because I know a lot of people who still have their vinyl collections. I think my students would probably be shocked if they ever saw a vinyl record.

Toughcookiemommy…many kids would be shocked but I think it would be cool to introduce this to them

7. Tami says:

Are you kidding me? I have some fond memories of listening to my parents’ vinyls.

8. We have a pretty extensive vinyl record collection at our house. We bought a lot of them at yard sales and flea markets, and we inherited a lot from my husband’s father when he passed away. I love the sound they have. We also have two record players to play them on.

9. MomJonz says:

I used to love watching the records spin on the record player growing up. My aunt still has a record player and lots of vinyl, I’m not sure if she listens to them much anymore. Now I have to call and ask.

10. Neely Moldovan says:

I have all of my dads records. He didnt want them so I took them! Its quite the collection!

11. Divya says:

I totallly missed the ball on Record Day! I for one am super happy that vinyl is making a comeback! Mainly because I was too young to enjoy it when it was first around!

12. [ Smiles ] There will always be a market for records.

There are people who buy both digital music online and vinyl albums in the stores; they play their WAV formats or Mp3s and they hang up the vinyl album neatly in their room.

13. So sad that we threw out our turn table 10 years ago, and now they are back in…Goes to show, nothing really goes out of fashion lol…

14. I didn’t realize these were making a come back! I’ve still got all my LP’s and 45’s! LOL It’s fantastic that my granddaughter will know what a record is 🙂

15. Alicia says:

These are interesting. I have never listened to a vinyl album before.

16. I’m glad that it’s becoming a trend again. It’s a great way to appreciate music. I love my collection and I’m never letting go of all those beautiful records. It’s nice that the younger generation appreciates vinyl.

Carol, I so love my vinyl…I am very excited to see where this is going.

I can’t believe that they are back. There are vinyl players and records being sold these days and it would be perfect for people who love music. I think it’s nice that they’re available again.

Elizabeth, I will be decking out my living room with some new turntables. I am looking for a juke box too

18. Sarah says:

Vinyl records are such a cool item to collect! They have a great sound and look to them. Some records go for crazy money now. There’s just nothing quite like a nice record. I’d choose them over CDs, tapes, 8-tracks any day.

19. Ronnie says:

Records take me back to my childhood! We used to have a record player and these beautiful, shiny records –
    mostly some of the jazz classics. I wish I still had it!

20. Pierre says:

I still have some vinyl records. There are still hard core vinyl enthusiasts who still buy records.

Pierre thanks for taking the time to read and leave a comment. I love vinyl and I am glad it is making a comeback

21. Claudine says:

I remember the days when I used to listen music being played on Vinyl records either on LP (Longer Playing ) Record and 45. Groups like the Manhattans, Drifter those were the music that use to be played on the turntable in my mother’s living room the sad thing about using vinyl was that it could be scratched up easily and would stop playing. Secondly, if the needle for the turntable broke if you didn’t get the right size needle you wouldn’t be able to listen to your favourite artist but it was good while it last….

Claudine, I loved it then and I still love it. I would like to do something to bring back a little of this. I will start by celebrating Record Store Day this year