Meatless Red Peas Soup With Coconut Milk

Do you want to know how I cook Meatless Red Peas Soup?  Follow along step by step as this Jamaican girl show you how she does it.

Meatless Red Peas Soup

Meatless Red Peas Soup

I looooooooove soup, in fact I drink soup several times  per week.  Red peas soup is my favorite  and since I am not really a fan of meat, then mine is meatless red peas soup.  Now I am not an expert cook, but I am very picky.  I have my own way of doing things so that I will be sure to actually eat it when it is done. So here goes!

Ingredients

• Red Peas/Kidney Beans
  • Yellow Yam
  • Pumpkin
  • Chocho
  • Thyme
  • Dry Coconut
  • Garlic
  • Salt to Taste
  • Skellion
  • Scotch Bonnet pepper (Optional)
  • Coco (Edoe)

Preparation

If I have sufficient time, I soak the peas, in a covered container, with garlic overnight.  By the next morning, it smells so good!

So next day I get my peas on the stove. I add the salt at this point (I may need to add some later,but I allow the peas to cook with salt).  Some persons wait until the end to “season” the pot,  but I prefer to cook with the salt from scratch. It is totally up to you, it is your soup after all.  Then I get my dry coconut, YES, I grate the coconut. You can also blend if that is what floats your boat, freeze half of the milk for another day.

Now I get my produce ready.  Pumpkin, Coco and Chocho all goes in and I leave everything to just cook until the peas is soft.  Then I toss in the yam, and breadfruit. You can add dumplings if you like, but I am not really a fan either.

The last items I add are the skellion, thyme and pepper (optional).

What is your favorite kind of soup?

Follow Me: Facebook      Twitter      Pinterest      Google+     Stumbleupon    Bloglovin

1. Wow, very yummy! I never would have thought of this – Thanks for sharing!

2. Deborah says:

Miam, miam! I love soups! I’ve never seen this one on a menu. It sounds yummy!

You’ve a couple of ingredients I’ve never heard of. I wonder if we have them in specialty market somewhere. Chocho, and Scotch Bonnet pepper, and I don’t know where to purchase Coco.

I’d love to try this. It’s raining, and cold. This week soup is perfect!

Deborah those are the names we use in Jamaica.. I think other names for coco are edoe and chocho is Chayote

3. Jay Simms says:

This sounds pretty interesting and delicious! I am going to have to give it a try!

4. Dana Vento says:

Oh my goodness, this is rally tempting and tasty. I’m going to try this fantastic recipe, my kids will also love it for sure.

Dana I know you all will love this soup. I hope you get a chance to try it and do tell once you have done so

5. I have never heard of red peas before. I am going to have to get some of them and check out this recipe.

6. chei says:

Any kind of soup will do for me. I wanna try this easy-to-do Meatless Red Peas Soup. Yummy!Any kind of soup will do for me. I wanna try this easy-to-do Meatless Red Peas Soup. Yummy!

7. lorena says:

It looks delicious and healthy, thank you for share it with us I am going to try to do it.
    Regards

8. Danielle says:

I’m kind of intrigued by the ingredient list. There’s a few things listed I’ve never cooked with before. Now I feel like I need to make this just to play with the ingredients, haha.

9. I am a vegetarian so this soup is something I can make and enjoy. This will be my weekend project to surprise my wife.

Vishal I think being a vegetarian is one of the best things anyone could do right now. Have fun with this recipe

10. adriana says:

This sounds like a delicious recipe! Definitely not something I would have thought of, so I’ll definitely have to try this out!

11. I love any soup that has coconut or coconut milk in it. It gives the soup such a nice creamy flavor.

12. Anna nuttall says:

Yum i do love a good hearty soup. Very nice recipe. xx

13. Franc Ramon says:

This is such a sumptuous meal. It also looks really tasty and can really warm you on cooler days.

14. I am curious about the soup and think adding coconut milk was a great idea! Coconut milk always makes everything creamier.

Brittany coconut milk is kind of a staple in my country when cooking anything with beans. Yes it sure does make it creamier.

15. Coconut makes ever dishes so creamy and that is why I love it. A very nutritious soup for everybody.

Sarah that is why I love it too. I love the milk and the oil and everything coconut, including ice cream

16. This will be perfect for dinner! I love a good soup, and it has been so cold here lately, this will hit the spot!

Travel Blogger I am sorry to hear about the cold weather there. I can send you some sunshine from FL…

17. Tami Qualls says:

I am replacing my dairy with coconut or almond milk. Having this recipe will help me make the transition.

I don’t think I’ve had this before and I would love to make it especially since it’s meatless! It looks so tasty as well, the beans are great because they’re packed with benefits and they’re filling.

This looks so yummy. Love that it has no meat in it.

20. Sounds heavenly! I love that you added coconut. Mmm.

21. Farrah says:

I am a big soup fan! This looks delicious. I especially love that it is meatless.Far

22. I wish I can come over and eat some of this with you because I know I’m not gonna make it just as good as you did. It looks so delicious.

23. Lisa Collins says:

I bet the coconut milk makes this extra rich and delicious! It’s been a long time since I’ve had a meatless soup but I may just have to make this soon!

Lisa you will not regret it. I make this as often as I can. Yes the coconut milk makes it so creamy and smells lovely.

24. Jaime says:

I love a good soup, especially during the winter. We just had a vegetable beef stew yesterday (and I was able to enjoy the leftovers today.) This soup looks so tasty!

Jaime, it does…as I said I am trying to cut way back on meat so I pretty much drink this several times per week in the evenings

25. Alicia says:

I have never heard of or tried this but it looks great!

26. Neely Moldovan says:

I am horribly allergic to coconut so I couldnt try this but it sounds really interesting. I always love reading about new recipes.

27. Divya says:

Yum, this looks so healthy and delicious! Filled with all sorts of goodies 🙂 And perfect timing too because I have been freezing lately! It was 12 degrees this morning when I woke up!

Ouch Divya, I do not envy you at all. This morning it was 47 degrees where I live and I thought I was going to pass out…LOL

28. I could use some soup right now! The more peppa the better. Especially when you’re sick

29. robin Rue says:

This sounds like a nice hearty soup. I love soup on chilly winter days.