Massive Open Online Courses From Elite Universities

Have you ever thought of taking  Massive Open Online  Courses (MOOCs)? Here are a few Massive Open Online Courses  from seven elite universities.

Open Online Courses

What Are MOOCs?

MOOCs are online classes offered at little or no cost to large numbers of students by individual schools, non-profits, or school consortium. They represent a classic example of a phenomenon called disruptive innovation at work in higher education (Flynn, 2013, p. 149).

Although The conceptual idea started around 1960, the term was originated in 2008 by Bryan Alexander (National Institute for Technology in Liberal Education) and David Cornier (Web Communications and Innovations at the University of Prince Edward Island.  Universities all over saw the potential in MOOCs and since then many have gotten on the Massive Open Online Courses bandwagon.  Here are a few of them that might be of interest to you.

Massive Open Online Courses

• Music & Theater Arts
  • History

Stanford Engineering Everywhere

• Introduction to Computer Science
  • Artificial Intelligence
  • Linear Systems & Optimization
  • A Creative Commons license allows for free and open use, reuse, adaptation and redistribution of Stanford Engineering Everywhere material
  • Programming Methodology
  • Introduction To Robotics
  • Programming Abstractions

Yale Open Courses

• African American Studies
  • Astronomy
  • Music
  • Physics
  • Political Science
  • Religious Studies
  • Spanish & Portuguese

Disclaimer: Please check with the institutions because information may have changed since the publication of this post

Reference

Flynn, J.T. (2013). MOOCs: disruptive innovation and the future of higher education. Christian Education Journal, 10(1), 149-162.

1. Wow, never realized so many top tier schools offered free courses online. I saw one on photo & video editing which I certainly need. Online means I can go at my own pace given crazy schedule so have to check it out.

2. This is the first time that I have heard of MOOCs, and I am very interested in this! The courses that caught my eye here were Religion And Hip Hop Culture; Dog Emotion & Cognition; and Health Information Technology.

3. That’s amazing!! I know Harvard had a photography course at one point, but it was pulled out. I was able to get a few of the modules done. Very informative stuff.

4. wendy says:

Wow! What a great opportunity for someone to go back to school and learn! I don’t think anyone is to old to go back. What a great way to be able to juggle home life, work and going to school.

Wendy I totally agree with you, you are never too old to learn. In fact learning keeps your brain young

5. Jay Simms says:

I have been thinking about furthering my education. I am going to have to give a few of these a go!

6. Rachel says:

It’s amazing that these courses are out there! I feel like there is so much learning to be had in life and love that these universities make it available.

Amen to that Rachel…so much to do and so little time. We have no excuse now do we?

7. I think online courses like these make life easier for those trying to further their education. I love that they are all from accredited institutions.

8. What amazing resources! I cannot wait to dig right in and check out a few of these.

9. oh wow. i had no idea there were so many online courses. this is some good info.

10. Thanks for sharing this post. I am sure many people that are looking to take courses will find it very useful.

11. Erin says:

Online courses are such a fab idea! I took a LOT of my college courses online because I didn’t feel like driving to the campus every day lol

12. Divya says:

I’ve taken a few MOOCs in the field of education and it was so relevant and applicable to my job. I really appreciate that there are free opportunities out there for people wanting to develop themselves!

Divya, I am glad to hear that you benefited from taking MOOCs. Thanks for sharing

13. Anna nuttall says:

Thank you for this handy blog post. I’m sure people will find this useful .xx

I wasn’t aware that these universities now have online courses for students and for people who would like to go back to studying! That’s really amazing!

Elizabeth yes they are called MOOCS, its a good way to get your feet wet if you plan to attend that school

15. I wanted to take up some courses in MIT Open. I love to learn, there is still a lot of room for improvement and I wanna take this opportunity for my continuous growth.

16. Shirley says:

Thank you for sharing this list, I am quite interested in these courses. I will go for few courses for sure.

17. Joely Smith says:

My husband needs to get a few more courses in for his degree and for his career. I will share this with him!

18. Crystal says:

Love that reputable universities are making education accessible. I’ve taken a few classes online, and it’s a format that really fits my life and schedule.

This would be great for my daughter. That way she can work and go to school

Tara, what about you? There is something there for everyone so why not pick one for yourself as well. You might just like it

20. Thank you so much for this list I am interested in a few of these classes and I am definitely going to pass this on to my son

21. robin Rue says:

Sounds like they have some great courses available. I will check them out.

Robin I hope you are able to take some of these courses. Please let us know when you do

22. My husband has taken some courses like these and he’s loved them. I think I might check out the Science of Happiness, which sounds great.

23. Erica Schwarz says:

I never heard of these! I finished school long ago, but do still occasionally take a course for something I am interested in and I’m surprised how diverse these offerings are.

Erica and there are so many others once you get to the individual pages. There is always something new to learn

24. Neely Moldovan says:

I would love to do this! I love learning and I tell my husband all the time I wish I could go to college again!

Neely I feel you. I wish someone could pay me to just go to school. I would do one degree after the other

25. Lisa Collins says:

I didn’t know there were so many online courses! This makes me want to dive into something new!

Lisa go right ahead. There are some pretty interesting free courses out there from reputable universities

26. I took the Science of Happiness through Berkeley and Ethics of Eating through Cornell and thoroughly enjoyed both. And learned a lot!

Genevieve, it is great to see someone who has done these courses. Thanks for sharing, I hope someone signs up because of you.