Kegel Exercises For Excellent Pelvic Health

Kegel Exercises For Pelvic Health

Are you one of those women who turn up your nose when you hear Kegel Exercises?  Do you want to do it but have no clue?  Well, look no further!

Kegel Exercises

There are many things that can weaken a woman’s pelvic floor muscle; things like childbirth, pregnancy, aging, surgery, being overweight, constipation or even chronic coughing.    I think most persons only focus on childbirth but we should at least take the time to know what are the other things that can aid in weakening the pelvic floor muscles.

Kegel exercises strengthen the pelvic floor muscles, which support the uterus, bladder, small intestine and rectum. You can do Kegel exercises, also known as pelvic floor muscle training, just about anytime (Mayo Clinic).

Since Kegel exercises can be done discreetly, you can do them whenever or wherever you want.  Of course this will take getting used to so don’t be embarrassed if you do not get it immediately.   Do not be ashamed or afraid to ask for help  from a health professional who can show you how to isolate that specific muscle.  Some doctors use something called Biofeedback to assist women who are struggling in this area.

Kegel Exercises

How To Do Kegel Exercises

The Mayo Clinic provides information on how to do Kegel Exercise:

• Find the right muscles. To identify your pelvic floor muscles, stop urination in midstream. If you succeed, you’ve got the right muscles. Once you’ve identified your pelvic floor muscles you can do the exercises in any position, although you might find it easiest to do them lying down at first.
  • Perfect your technique. Tighten your pelvic floor muscles, hold the contraction for five seconds, and then relax for five seconds. Try it four or five times in a row. Work up to keeping the muscles contracted for 10 seconds at a time, relaxing for 10 seconds between contractions.
  • Maintain your focus. For best results, focus on tightening only your pelvic floor muscles. Be careful not to flex the muscles in your abdomen, thighs or buttocks. Avoid holding your breath. Instead, breathe freely during the exercises.
  • Repeat three times a day. Aim for at least three sets of 10 repetitions a day.

If you can stop your urine in midstream then you have found the right muscle. However, it is not a good thing to practice stopping your urine in midstream as this can cause further problems.   This is just to be used for finding and isolating the right muscle.  To see maximum results, Kegel Exercises must be done on a regular basis according to Web MD. Another way to locate that muscle is to place your finger into your vagina and try squeezing that finger.

Kegel Exercises

Kegel Exercises

Who Should Do Kegel Exercises?

Many times we associate these exercises only with the group of persons listed in the first section of this post.   However according to Edwin Huang, MD, a gynecologist at Massachusetts General Hospital in Boston:

Kegel exercises are a great idea for all women. “Everybody should do them,” says Dr. Huang. Kegel exercise benefit women regardless of age or medical history, but for women with certain issues, Kegel exercise is particularly important.

So don’t wait until you are having a problem before getting your Kegel on.   Prevention is much better than cure so start working on your Kegel Exercises NOW!

Resources

Brichford, C. Kegel Exercises – How To Tone Vaginal Muscles.  Retrieved From http://www.everydayhealth.com/sexual-health/kegel-exercises-to-tone-vaginal-muscles.aspx

Mayo Clinic.  Kegel Exercises – A How To Guide For Women.  Retrieved from http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/womens-health/in-depth/kegel-exercises/art-20045283

WebMd. Kegel Exercises – Topic Review.   Retrieved From http://www.webmd.com/women/tc/kegel-exercises-topic-overview

1. Maybe, just maybe, I will take this up…with my lazy self. LOL

2. A progressive resistance vaginal exerciser is the only form of pelvic toning device available on prescription in the UK to women presenting with symptoms of urinary stress incontinence or pelvic floor weakness.

Quincy that is very interesting. I need to put together a list of these pelvic toning devices one of these days

3. Kim says:

I swear by Kegels. I was just speaking with my coworkers about this the other day. And, I’m doing them right now lol

4. It’s a great exercise…. Thanks for your information and motivation to do exercises..

5. reena santos says:

Oh woow this is really cool. Thanks for sharing. Everyone’s needs it. Having good shape will make you confident. I love being fit

6. Karen H says:

Very inspiring! I need to get into a workout routine again. Thanks for sharing!

7. By far the easiest and quickest exercise on the list! I always do these, I just got to get that routine with the rest of my Body! Great post!

Thank you Chocolate mama for your response. I hope you get to the rest of that body soon…LOL

8. Mimi Green says:

I’m all about kegels although I don’t do them nearly as often as I should. Whenever they are mentioned I suddenly start doing them. I’m all about getting it right and keeping it tight.

9. I am guilty of forgetting about kegel exercises. I love that you can do them in secret so to speak. Making a mental note to start doing them. Thanks for posting such an informative article.

10. Sarah Bailey says:

Kegel exercises work for what they are intended. I am so happy that someone told me about them even though I do not have children. Still important.

11. Roxy says:

I didn’t realize kegels were so important. I’ve heard about them helping after child birth and to improve your sex life. I will def start doing them more often!

12. Khansa says:

Thanks for this reminder. Have learnt about it before but it often skips my mind. Need to bring it back to my routine.

13. jamila says:

I do Kegel exercises sometimes,but not like I should.

14. I need to start adding Kegel’s to my daily routine. I’ve always heard great things but have yet to start practicing it. Thanks for sharing!

Siobhan

15. Kiwi says:

Kegels are so important. I want to do it more when I get pregnant I know it helps with labor and birthing so when that day comes I will be doing these inner exercises.

Kiwi I would suggest you start way before that day. According to what the article is saying that is best..

16. Doris says:

Reading this made me realize that I didn’t do mine today!!

17. Rachel says:

Great reminder! I really need to start doing these!

Rachel you are most welcome. Yes, yes start if you have not started before or continue if you have slacked off

18. tp keane says:

These are so important, especially after pregnancy and when you get older. Great tips and info.

19. Anvita says:

I should be doing this. I have been slacking out these days, too much work going on these days.

Well Anvita the good thing is you can be doing this while you are doing so many other things

20. Rachel Dean says:

Thanks for stressing the importance of these exercises. I need to do them more often.

Rachel unfortunately that is the running theme on this post…We are all falling behind…LOL

21. Cathy Mini says:

Kegel exercises always seem underrated. This definitely provided motivation to try!

22. Tomiko says:

I’ve never been able to do these exercises maybe I will give it another try

23. Stacie says:

I used to do a lot of Kegels when I was younger. Now that I’m older, I should pick it up again.

24. I have heard about these exercises before but I didn’t really know a lot of details about them. Thank’s for this article, it’s very useful.

Thanks to you too Martina for reading this article and I am happy that you found it useful

25. After I got pregnant with both of my kids, my doctor always advised me to do kegel exercises. It’s easy to forget to do them but it helps with LBL.

26. Marcy says:

I’m so bad about doing these!! But I can definitely see the benefit…and you have done a great job of explaining proper technique and the benefits. Thank you!

27. Keep forgetting about this, even when there is a problem. Something to get used to for sure. 🙂

28. Eileen Kelly says:

I had 4 kids all natural no meds! My OB Doctor said I am the poster child for the Kegel! I promote all women to Kegel everyday and anytime you can 🙂

29. CourtneyLynne says:

I have always wondered what what kegal exercises were. I’ve heard of them But just didn’t know exactly what the exercises intailed

30. Megan McCoig says:

I never even knew what Kegal exercise meant before this, so thank you for sharing!

31. Lisa Rios says:

Though I have heard about Kegel Exercises, I have always been fishy about how & what involves around it. I love that it is ideal for all women & I am going to check Mayoclinic for more details.

Lisa there are quite a few reputable places online where you can get additional information. Or even from your health care professional

32. jill conyers says:

It took me forever to finally feel like I was doing this correctly. It’s awesome that you can do them anytime and anywhere.

33. cris says:

Learnt something new today. Not sure why I continued reading as soon as I knew this was focused for women… guess its the inquisitive part of me.

34. HilLesha says:

I honestly haven’t tried them, but I’ve heard it before that they have a wealth of benefits. Thanks for providing more information!

35. Mandy says:

I have to confess I don’t do my kegels even though I know I should! Thanks for the reminder actually 🙂

Mandy many of us here would be in detention because we have been very remiss where this is concerned

36. Brittany says:

I did kegel exercises all the time when I was pregnant and I really think they helped through the entire birthing process. I haven’t done them in so long, I really need to continue to do them.

37. I agree that a lot of women are not aware of these ways to keep in tune with their bodies. This is very informative and a great resource for women.

Thank you toughcookiemommy for stopping by and for taking the time to leave a meaningful comment

38. Debra says:

These are so great after you have a baby! I should do them more often in general.

39. I heard about kegel exercises about halfway through my first pregnancy. I became diligent about doing them, and would actually do three sets of three, three or more times a day! Hard to say for sure how much it helped, but I think it made a difference.

40. well I’m very open minded because I’ve physically seen all those who achieve success arent closed off to something just because they might not “be interested” at first glance. so even though this seems more catered for women I would still like to try it.

41. Neely Moldovan says:

Yes they are so great to do! Everyone should do them!

42. Anna nuttall says:

Yes love Kegel exercise. It very good for core and building muscle. x

43. oana79 says:

I had no idea pelvic floor muscles can be weakened by so many things! I did Kegel exercises after both pregnancies and saw a massive difference almost immediately!

44. Eugenia says:

I didn’t know the kegel exercises have so many benefits for women. I should start doing them! Health is a priority! Thanks a lot for sharing such a useful post! 🙂

45. Well, well, this is awesome and important information for us gals! Thank you so much…and I am exercising mine as I read! 🙂

46. Kathy Kenny Ngo says:

It is important specially to us girls to take care our body. And this exercise might be very helpful. Thanks for the tips.

47. This post is a reminder for me to exercise my pelvic muscles more often. Thanks for reminding me! 🙂

48. Rebecca Swenor says:

The kegel exercises are indeed an awesome way to aid in building these pelvic muscles for a woman. There is also physical therapy that aids and shows you how to use more than the kegel exercise as well. This therapy literally works because I have done it. Thanks for sharing the information.

49. Courtney Gillard says:

This is a nice post. I will share this information with all my girlfriends out there. Every woman should do Kegel exercise.

50. It’s important for women to be mindful of their bodies. Taking care of their pelvic health is an important part of that.

Toughcookiemommy I could not agree with you more. Absolutely essential yet so many of us just take care of everyone else and ignore us

51. GiGi Eats says:

Alright! I will be PROACTIVE! haha!

52. alexandria says:

These are good to do post-baby…at least that’s what I was told. I’m sure it’s a weird subject for some people, but all women should do a little here and there.

53. I think that this is something that a lot of women have heard of but don’t really understand how to do them. Thanks for taking the time to explain.

54. Amanda Love says:

I think it’s good exercise and it’s something that will benefit women especially when you’re older. I feel bad for not doing this exercise, but it’s never too late! Better start now.

Amanda it is important to start as early as possible and not wait until we are older. However as you say it is never too late

55. Amer Phils says:

I never heard of kegel exercises. It sounds simple though. Let me try it, I hope I don’t break my bones.

56. Crystal Gard says:

I’ve never done this before , but I had heard of it, defiantly interesting to learn aboiut

Kegel exercises are a blessing, especially when -that- time of the month comes. It really helps with the aches and it’s overall wonderful

Amy thanks for providing another reason to do Kegel Exercises. I never thought about this one either

58. I worked with the elderly during university and I learnt how to identify the pelvic floor muscles as I helped them do their exercises. Excellent tips here.

59. Jenna says:

I’ve heard so much about these exercises! Great post 🙂
    -Jenna <3
    Follow me back? The Chic Cupcake

60. rachel says:

It’s so important to do these AFTER childbirth too, especially if you have had a C-section. They helped to strengthen my pelvic floor again so that I could exercise the right way without injuring myself.

61. Kim says:

Taking notes & bookmarking! I’m pregnant right now and needed to know this.

62. I’ve never done any kegel exercises. But after the twins come in a couple of months, I’m definitely gonna need some!

63. Karlyn Cruz says:

I am gonna try this! These tips are so nice and really helpful for us women, will share to my friends.

64. Berlin says:

Thanks for sharing this. I think I need this exercise as well. Ive given birth four times already and I am not getting any younger.

Berlin childbirth is one of the leading reasons that women need to do these exercises. So it makes sense to start doing Kegel Exercies now!

65. Nicole Escat says:

I heard about this from my sister. I will try it so I can have a healthier lifestyle!n

66. Omg! I feel terrible. I’ve never heard about kegal exercises before hahaha. I have to start doing these exercises.

67. michelle mink says:

Wow I had no idea that kegel exercises should be done so often. 3 times a day for ten sets? i’ll see what i can do about that.

68. sometimes we forget to exercise this part of our body that for us women it is so important thanks for reminding us

Adriana I absolutely agree with you. It is a really important to pay attention to this very overlooked area

69. I don’t do these very often anymore, but they worked wonders after having my boys! Thanks for the reminder!

70. Roxanne says:

I am grateful to Dr. Kegel that I do not pee when I sneeze after childbirth. 😉 Seriously, it sounds like a weird place to flex, but these exercises really do work.

71. That exercise us women need to do religiously. It will benefit women the natural and easier way.

That’s very interesting. I think it’s important that women practice this kind of exercise. It will benefit them a whole lot especially once we start seeing the signs of aging. This is very good exercise!

73. I used to do Kegel exercises all the time. I need to do them again. Thanks for such a detailed post on how to do it properly!

74. Brandy says:

I was told to do kegels after pregnancy and did. To this day I will still do them.

Brandy whoever told you to do that was a very wise person indeed. Please continue to do them

75. As women age they will appreciate doing Kegals! They are extremely helpful and I wish I had started doing them consistently earlier in my life!!

76. Nellwyn says:

Great advice! It’s always good to have a reminder about these!

77. Azlin Bloor says:

Great post, every woman needs to read this and follow the exercises! As a mum of 4 kids, I can attest to their importance!

I’m not consistent in doing those. I know I need to strengthen them because I can’t stop the stream completely if I try.

79. karen says:

I always forget about these exercises, but need to sneak them in a little more often. Great tips and reminders – and I will be more mindful of getting it together! 😉
    Karen | GlamKaren.com

I really need to do these exercises. Maybe it might just help with my little leak problem.

81. Jess Benoit says:

I always forget to do kegel exercises. This post is a nice reminder & I may or may not have done them while reading it. 😉

LOL @ Jess….I know you did…I am happy to have been the person to remind you about doing your kegels…

82. Good idea. The kegel exercise looks very healthy.

83. Christina says:

These are awesome! My baby is due in a week and I swear they’ve helped me already! Thanks for sharing!

84. Desteny says:

I remember the first time I told my husband about kegel exercises. I was pregnant with my daughter. He thought it was the weirdest thing. Haha

85. Ali says:

I feel like I always forget about kegel exercises! It’s one of those great things you can do at almost anytime, but I just don’t think about it. Thanks for the reminder!

86. Yes, indeed, these are good to do. And they work! I have known about them for decades but I can’t say I do them enough. Thanks for the inspiration!