Sinus Relief Remedies Without Medication

Effective Sinus Relief Remedies

A few years ago I stopped taking tablets for sinus problems and turned to sinus relief remedies without medication.   There are so many remedies for sinus relief around us, we just have to take the time to look and put down the tablets, even for a while.

Sinus Relief Remedies

Sinus Relief Remedies That I Find Useful

Neti pot –  The first time I saw this weird looking thing was on the Dr. Oz. Show.   My curiosity was peaked because this said it would help with my sinus issues without using medication.  Anything would be better than the “medicine head” I was feeling at the moment.   I hated taking any kind of tablet but that day I had broken down and taken two, only to feel like I was going to pass into the great beyond.   So I decided to order my Netipot on Amazon and we have been together since then.

The Netipot is used with saline solution that is also sold in the store, but I decided to make my own at home.  I will discuss that further down.

While I was shopping for my Netipot, I decided to research anything else that could be used to ease my sinus issues and I across Menthol Crystals.   This has been used for sinus relief and congestion for a number of years.  I realize that back in the day this is what my parents used whenever we were congested.  But many of us have gotten so modern that we have walked away from natural medicines like these to be popping pills.   Menthol crystals are very soothing.    I use slightly warm water to cover the crystals then inhale! and voila, my nostrils are clear.

Home Made Saline Solution

1 cup barely warm water (if it is too hot, it will burn your nostrils)

Quarter teaspoon non-iodized salt

Mix together and there is your home made saline solution.  There are many videos online that shows you how to use the Netipot and the saline solution if necessary.

More Sinus Relief Remedies

Here are a few other items that I use to take care of my sinus issues without having to take tablets.   I have not taken a tablet for sinus issues in quite a while.   I hope I have encouraged you to also give these a try and put the tablets on hold, even for a while.

If you can find home remedies for sinus relief then I urge you to give it a try.  There are many other natural sinusitis remedy that you might find useful; look around and see what works for you.

1. tauyanm says:

the saline solution and those oils looks more effective for me. they looks like a great thing to have for sinus

2. Tanisha A Parker says:

I have a neti pot and it is awesome

3. Lezley says:

Great post, I always have sinus problems and I hate medicine!

Lezley you are in the right company because I hate medications too

4. Toni says:

I haven’t tried the neti pot but one of my friends lives by hers! I do use lavender and eucalyptus oils in a diffuser and they help as well.

Toni thanks for sharing what you do to relieve sinus issues naturally

5. Yanique says:

I have terrible allergies that often leads to sinus infections and the Neti pot has been a Godsend. I also find that using Lavender oil also helps. I’ll have to check out the other essential oils you mentioned.

Yanique and I will have to check out lavender oil. I have never used that one before

6. Haley says:

Thank you for sharing these alternatives! I always hate putting medicine into my body. You never know what anything will do these days.

Haley you can say that again. One minute it is good for you the next minute it is not. So we just have to be very careful

7. Inez says:

These are great alternatives to medication. I prefer not to take medication, so thanks for sharing!

Inez I am right there with you on that one. So afraid of medications and their side effects

8. Camesha says:

Sooo, this post was totally written for me! I have sinus issues on the regular. So does my mom. I have the Netipot and it does help!

Camesha yes the Netipot does help…had to use it this morning before church to relieve my stuffiness. It is the season for allergies

9. Psychic Nest says:

Hi Mardene,

I have heard about Netipot but I haven’t tried it yet! I usually go for salt water products that help a lot but sometimes they are just not enough. Allergies are kicking in during Spring and Summer so I need to search a bit more about Netipot.

Another great post from you! Have a beautiful day!

Zaria

Zaria thank you for your kind words. I make my own saline solution and use it with the netipot. I hope you find relief this allergy season

10. Sinus problems can make a person feel lousy. Some of the medications are addictive. The netty pot and saline work very well for me. I didn’t about eucalyptus — will have to try it. Thank you.

Carol it really does make you feel lousy and that is why so many persons are hooked on allergy medicine. Some persons are not aware of the alternatives and some just find it easier to pop a pill. The other items are also very good, I try to mix them up

11. Sinus problems plague me so this is a really helpful resource. Thank you for sharing.

Jennifer there are so many persons who are plagued by sinus problems. This is the season for allergy so right now many persons are struggling

12. Stacey says:

I love my netti pot! I does wonders for me when I am dealing with sinus problems.

13. Anosa says:

I try to use as many natural remedies as I can before I turn medications for anything for this is a great resource

Anosa you are very wise for thinking like that. We have to protect ourselves

14. Lisa Rios says:

This is just amazing, a great resource for many around. My husband is having sinus & we have tried different home remedies that has not worked much. I will give this one a try to see how it helps him.

Lisa I am sorry to hear about your husband. I hope something on this list works

15. Coralie says:

This is really cool. All of my kids have allergies – this will be helpful.

Coralie…wow…it seems most kids have allergies these days. The air is so dirty

16. Patricia says:

The NetiPot and water with salt is my ‘home remedy’ Works as a charm!

Patricia you are so right, it does work like a charm. That is the best way to describe it

17. This is amazing. I heard that sinus really makes a lot of people feel bad and horrible. If you can remedy it without med, this is nothing short of a miracle.

Kathy you bet it is a miracle not to have to deal with all the side effects that come with many medications

18. Deb says:

I’ve had two sinus surgeries so I rinse mine out daily. Helps a ton.

19. My favorite is using essential oils! IT always works!

Danielle essential oils are really under-rated and more people should take advantage because they come with less side effects

20. Diane says:

My husband swears by his NetiPot. i didn’t realize there are menthol crystals. Thanks for the info!

Diane he has a right to swear by his netipot…LOL…it really packs a punch

21. Mhaan A says:

Great tips especially for people who hates to drink medicines. Thanks for sharing.

Mhaan you are so right….medications no matter how good they are have side effects. Sometimes these side effects are more serious than the first complaint….

22. jared's mum says:

We ought to steer clear of the pill as much as we can. It is great that you were able to find a number of natural remedies for sinus relief. I have never heard of Neti-pot before but it should be worth a try especially for those who are suffering with sinus problems.

Jared’s Mum I hear you and of course I agree one hundred percent. For some reason that is what most people go for at the first sign of trouble but we have to try to cope in another way or we really are going to suffer the consequences

23. I have never tried the ‘ol nettie pot even though I keep hearing great things about it. I just don’t know if I could do it. lol

LOL @ Laura…I am laughing because that is how I felt before I took the plunge. As I have said so many times, it is weird at the beginning but once you get used to it, then it is not so bad

24. Home remedies is a smart way to go if it’s not too severe, it’s great for training our bodies to fight the sickness off naturally.

Mihaela, you have said it just right. We need to train our bodies to fight off sickness naturally as it was intended to do

25. Ana says:

My sister has sinus and she has to take too much precautions. Mostly her sinus is active during change in weather. I will share your post with her!

Ana I am sorry to hear about your sister. Yes please share with her and I hope she feels better soon

26. Kay says:

Awesome! I have such terrible sinus issues this time of year, always nice to find relief outside of normal meds!

27. alexandria says:

These are all great. I really try to go the non medicine route whenever Im sick or my daughter is. I’ve seen those neti pots several times but have never used one.

Alexandria that is the best thing you could ever do for your family and I applaud you for that. You are also teaching your daughter that there are alternative medicines.

28. Michele says:

This is going to be one heck of a spring with allergies. We’ve had so much rain, I just know it will be nuts. Thanks for the tips!

Sigh…it seems allergies are getting worst and worst Michele. So not good!

29. Roxy says:

My allergies and congestion are THE WORSE! I have been wanting to try a neti pot for the longest but needed to do a little research (i.e. cruise the blogs to see what other bloggers thought) before making a purchase. Thanks so much for this post!

I am happy to have been of service to you Roxy….I have been using this for a couple of years and now I have 2. It was kinda weird at the beginning I must say but after I got the hang of it I am quite the pro..

30. CourtneyLynne says:

Omg wish I would of read this a week ago!!!! I guess now I know a few remedies for next time I have a sinus infection;-)

CourtneyLynne…of yeah….next time you will be prepared to know sinus congestion on its behind…LOL

31. Mimi says:

I’d probably start with a humidifier. I’m not sure I could do a netti pot. lol I prefer to find more natural ways to deal with health issues instead of tablets.

LOL Mimi…I hear you. That is what I started with too because I was very skeptical of the Netipot for a long long time. But I am telling you that feeling when you have drained those nostrils with that saline solution cannot be compared

32. aurora says:

This post is very informative! By the way, I think I know what kind of theme you are using. 🙂

Which one of the products you mentioned has worked best for you?

Aurora…LOL…I bet you do…right now I use the netipot more than the others. Secondly is the humidifier with any of the other products

33. Michelle Blackwood says:

I love the netipot, I alway do saline irrigation instead of meds!

Michelle good for you. Whenever I hear of persons who are anti-medications I am really happy

34. Heather says:

My husband just mentioned wanting to get a neti pot! I have never tried them – they freak me out, but I think they would definitely be helpful during allergy season.

LOL @ Heather, yes that is how I felt at the beginning until I decided to try them. Takes getting used to

35. Valerie Robinson says:

So timely because my sinuses have been kicking my butt these last few weeks!

Wow so many persons are struggling with this awful thing right now Valerie. I am so sorry to hear, feel better soon

36. Very timely, I am suffering like nobodys business, I just moved to the south and they have too many trees. Thanks for the tips

Heidi, I am so sorry to hear. I hope something on this list can help you and feel better soon

37. suchi says:

thanks for sharing this! i have horrible sinus attacks and headaches!! i have tried using eucalyptus oil….helps sooth a little bit… will try a few from here, though i hope i don’t get it anytime soon!

Suchi there are so many people suffering with this. I hope something here can help you in some way

38. Thank you for posting this! I am going to share these with my husband as he suffers horribly with sinus issues.

Walk one day in your shoes you are most welcome. I hope he gets some relief

39. Very helpful information, thanks for sharing

40. Stacy says:

I never try this and I need to save this, I’m so glad that you share this with us

41. Lexie Lane says:

Vicks warm makes me relax, I’ve never tried any brand except vicks warm.

42. Stacie says:

I have heard so many people talk about the Nettie Pot and I’ve seen it on Dr. Oz too. Putting water up my nose scares me a bit lol.

Stacie that is what I thought to but that is why you will tilt your head to the side so it pretty much runs out on the other side

43. The Netipot is my saving grace! I have spring allergies and I feel like I’m drowning in snot.

Steam and Stone that is how I felt until I started using these remedies. Now I am free and clear of all snot…LOL

44. Indya says:

I am all here for home remedies! I don’t like taking anything with side effects attached to them, especially if they are worse than what you’re taking the medicine for. I’ll have to check out those Menthol crystals.

Indya I feel you! That is the reason I went the alternative direction because those side effects are no joke

45. I have never tried this but I definitely will put it on my list!

46. Erin says:

This is perfectly timed. My allergies are awful and my sinuses are paying the price for it!

47. I have never heard about Neti-Pot but it sounds really great!! I need to check this out!!

Jasmine if you or any family member suffer sinus congestion often, you have got to try the netipot

Jasmine give it a try, if it works then drop me a line…

48. Carolyn says:

I have a neti pot and used it a bunch a couple years ago when my sinus issues were out of control. I know this is medication but using flo-nase before bed every nights has changed my life! I used to have so many sinus issues and had multiple bad sinus infections a year that I needed to take antibiotics to get rid of and now since taking flo-nase for 2 years I haven’t had any. I still keep my neti pot in the closet just in case though…

49. This is the first time I heard about Neti-Pot. My husband suffers from sinus and he could use these tips. Thanks for sharing them.

50. Nicole Escat says:

I really hate medication, so glad you shared this awesome tips.

Nicole if you hate medications the way I do then I totally get what you are saying. I am scared of the side effects even when they are over the counter

51. Izabela says:

Luckily I hardly suffer from sinus related problems. It’s good to know that you can rely on homemade solutions to treat them.

Izabela, good for you and I hope it stays that way. I have not had an serious attacks in years because I also pay attention to what causes the attack in the first place

52. Alison says:

I have always wondered about Neti pots before and if they actually work. You have definitely intrigued me to look at other alternatives when I get sick with a sinus infection.

Oh yes Alison they really work. I am testament that they do…LOL…give it a try and let know how it goes

53. jill conyers says:

I love the without medication part. Eucalyptus is one of my favorite essential oils.

Jill that is the part I love as well. Too many persons are slaves to big Pharma

54. Criz says:

It’s amazing to read an article like this at the moment. People around me are sick and I have a cousin who is having sinusitis for years now. I will definitely recommend this to her. Any relief remedy without medication is always great, I myself hate taking tablets. 😉

Criz please pass the information on to anyone who can use it. Let them give it a try and see if it works.

55. I swear by the netti pot! It has saved me several times during allergy season and a horrible sinus block.

Doran I am right behind you. Only those who have used it would understand…LOL

56. I’ve been using a lot of essential oils lately to help alleviate some of my allergy issues . . . but I always go back to my nasal sprays and air puffs. I don’t care for the netti pot, but am intrigued by the crystal.

Tiaras and tantrums if you like essential oils you will also like the crystals. Give it a try and let me know

57. Blythe A. says:

It’s nice to see there are options for sinus relief that don’t always involve meds. I’m sensitive to medication and a lot of the sinus or cold relief meds make me feel drowsy or jittery.

Blythe that is exactly how they made me feel and the reason I decided to look for relief elsewhere

I always go for home remedies because you know what ingredients are in them. They are easy to do as well, and most of the time, the ingredients you need are already in your kitchen. Thank you for the tips as well!

Elizabeth, I say amen to that one. These days you have to be so careful with what you are putting into your body

We always try aloe vera in my house, it has been our family remedy for ages!

Amy I like aloe vera too….that is a great, natural remedy for a lot of things

60. Debra says:

I have a nasty sinus infection and it is KILLING me. I need to try this, nothing seems to be helping!

Debra I am so sorry to hear. You probably have to also look at what you are eating as well as things in your house that could be causing this

61. Roxanne says:

I don’t know what happens when I try to use the neti pot… it’s just chaos. 😉 But, I absolutely love using peppermint oil dabbed on each side of my nostrils. Helps open everything up! So good!

LOL @ Roxanne, I had the same problem when I started and actually just put it down for a little while. Then I tried it again and got the hang of it…it takes getting used to

62. I love to find remedies without medicine! I have never tried this but heard it works for others.

63. Kait says:

I love my Neti Pot – it came in hand when I was pregnant and got three sinus infections!

Kait that is great news because you definitely want to avoid medication during that time

64. I had one bout with sinusitis in my life – thankfully – and it was the good old antibiotic etc., that was given to me. Nowadays, whenever a cold threatens it is natural remedies that I turn to most often.

Claudette lucky you with the one bout of sinusitis. I agree with you on the natural remedy for all things

65. Bernadette Callahan says:

We have a Vicks Humidifier in each bedroom….just in case. My middle son has always had sinus issues and nothing so far has seemed to work for him. The others are good with the right mix of oils.

Bernadette I have used the Vicks Humidifier myself. That was the first brand I used

66. Amanda Love says:

I grew up using Olbas Oil in the Caribbean and I totally forgot about that. I use a nettipot but it just seems like it doesn’t work that great anymore. 🙁

Amanda where in the Caribbean are you from? I am from Jamaica. Maybe your saline solution is the problem and not the netipot. Try changing that and see if it makes a difference

67. Idaintyit says:

This is so handy right now as we all have colds and stuffy noses in this house at the moment! Half the medicines you can buy don’t work anyway so hopefully we have more luck with this

Idaintyit….what I found when I took them was I just wanted to sleep and that cannot be good

68. Joanae says:

Neti pot is the bomb! Living in Atl with all of this pollen, is a must!

69. Bijee says:

My sis uses have been giving me the business here recently. I try natural remedies when I can but those headaches sometimes require immediate action.

Bijee I agree that sometimes you need something more but let that be the exception

70. The NetiPot is my savior for allergy season! Its so helpful!

Shannon it is really a helpful little thing. So unassuming but does a whole lot

71. tp keane says:

My son suffers a lot from sinus issues. I reckon he’d really appreciate this Neti Pot. Great find.

tp keane please let him try it, it may work for him and that would be great

72. Emerald says:

Thank you so much for these homeopathic remedies! I’m always looking for a way to avoid going to the doctor’s office. LOL!!

73. Lucy Lu says:

I’ve heard of the Netipot, but I never personally used it. Someone suggested I try it. After reading your blog, I may just have to one.

Lucy Lu when you get a chance give it a try please. Kinda weird in the beginning but you get used to it

74. Olbas oil is brilliant, you should try vix as well it helps get fluid off my chest and out of my sinuses. I get blocked sinuses a lot.

Ana thanks for that tip…I have used vix before but have not used it in a while. I need to start using it again as well

75. Andrea says:

Ive used Olba’s on and off for a long time – just used their cough medicine for a week – it really works!

Andrea I have never tried their cough medicine at all. I will try to remember it if I ever need it

76. TIna says:

I know this works!! Thanks for reminding me how great this is!

77. Terri says:

Neto pots are cool. I swear by my essential oils and diffuser. I can’t imagine what it might look like without those!!

78. Cole says:

I use a netti pot and it’s amazing! I love it so much!

Cole I am always happy to hear about persons who try alternatives to medication. Good for u

79. CoCo says:

Netipots are so underrated! Love to use it to dry me out a little! Helps so much!

CoCo they are underrated for real. I suppose people are just used to the tablets or cannot be bothered

80. Amy Scott says:

I suffer from it really bad when my hayfever strikes in the spring time. Eucalyptus is my savior!

Amy I am so sorry to hear but happy that you have found a non-medicated solution

81. Carrie says:

Normally for sinus issues around here I use my cold air diffuser and some essential oils. I have never tried a neti pot before!

82. Sara says:

I’m one of these people that hate taking medication even if I’m in pain, so thank you for this tip on home remedies.

Sara me and you both. All those medications have serious side effects at time and I hate having to take any of them

83. Dana Carmel says:

Fortunately, I don’t have sinus problems. But this is a great reference for the people in my life who do. Thanks for sharing!

Good for you Dana, you are not missing anything good, trust me on that one.

84. Jacqui Odell says:

We actually have several of these items around our house!! I need to break a couple of them.

85. Toni Jones says:

I use my netipot often to help me when I have sinus issues

Toni I edited your comment to make it a little longer because anything shorter than 8 words is seen as spam by google. I too use my netipot often, I have come to really rely on it

86. KatR says:

I love diffusing essential oils to help me breathe easier. Other than eucalyptus, I also use tea tree oil, all of the mints (peppermint, spearmint, wintergreen), pine, rosemary and thieves blend.

Thank you KarR for sharing that. I will look out for those the next time I am shopping for oils

87. Angelle Marix says:

I also battle with sinuses and the Neti pot has worked miracles. It gives me relief. I need to try some of the other options you listed.

Xo,
    Angelle

Angelle I just put a little of the oil on the top of the humidifier so the scent fills the room when the humidifier comes on. Feels so good!

88. Robin Masshole Mommy says:

Neti pots are awesome. They work like a charm.

89. DannyUK.com says:

I’ve used a netipot a few times now and still can’t get used to the odd sensation and funny taste it seems to leave!

DannyUK…LOL…yes it does take some getting used to. You should have seen me the first few times…now I am an old pro

90. mardenec@hotmail.com says:

Jlue I added a few words to your comment because when it is so short google sees it as spam. Thank you for stopping by

91. Zoe says:

This is really helpful! I hate taking so much medication so this popped up at the perfect time – thanks for sharing 😀

Zoe I hated taking it too and that is why I decided to look for alternative methods that has less side effects

92. Jlue says:

Good post! Thank you for sharing this with us

Thank you Jlue for stopping by and taking the time to leave a comment. Appreciated!