11 Tuition Free Colleges in the US

Tuition Free Colleges in the US

The idea of tuition free colleges in  USA makes many parents and students roll their eyes.  Finding colleges that can offer free college tuition is almost impossible in the USA but look no further, we have 11 colleges here for you.

Tuition Free Colleges

List Tuition Free Colleges

Berea College
  • Berea, KY
  • Liberal Arts College
  • Christian College
  • Students work 10 – 15 hours per week on campus or in the community
  • Every student receives the Tuition Promise Scholarship
Alice Lloyd College
  • Pippa Passes, KY
  • Students help “pay their way” with the Student Work Program
  • Qualified students from the Appalachian area are awarded the Appalachian Leaders Scholarship
  • Cost of tuition is covered for up to 10 semesters
Barclay College
  • Haviland, KS
  • All full time resident students automatically receives full tuition scholarship
  • Full time off campus students receive partial funding
  • Christian College
  • Students must complete 96 service hours as a requirement to graduate
  • Small student body
College of the Ozark
  • Point Lookout, MO
  • All students are required to work 15 hours per week on campus
  • Each School year students have to also work two 40 hours work weeks
  • Students have the option of covering room and board through the summer work program
  • Each student is awarded the Ozarks Cost of Education Scholarship
US Coast Guard Academy
New London, CT
US Naval Academy
Annapolis, MD
The Air Force Academy
  • Funded through the government
  • Graduates are required to serve for at least 5 years
  • Free Tuition
Tuition Free Colleges

More Tuition Free Colleges USA

Curtis Institute of Music
  • Philadelphia, PA
  • Full scholarships to both undergraduate and graduate students
  • There is a screening process
  • In person audition
Deep Springs College
  • Deep Springs, CA
  • 2 year liberal arts college
  • Located on a cattle ranch and alfafa farm
  • Operates on three pillars:  labor, academics and self-governance
  • Prepares students to serve humanity
Webb Institute
  • Glen Cove, NY
  • Free tuition for US Citizens and green card holders
  • Offers only 2 majors (Naval Architecture and Marine Engineering)
  • Students get real world experience in the maritime industry with internship
  • Very rigorous program
Macaulay Honors College
  • New York, NY
  • Free for in-state students
  • Students have to meet high academic standards
  • Students who withdraw are responsible for all expenses
  • There is a 3.3 GPA requirement for freshmen and 3.5 for sophomores
  • Students must complete 30 hours community service
  • Students can choose between studying abroad or an internship
For persons wanting a college education it can be a nightmare that leaves parents and students heavily in debt.  Knowing where to look for help is key as well as understanding the requirements for admission.   For those persons who would like to remain in the US for college I hope this list was helpful to you.  If you feel like being adventurous you can also find a 7 Countries Where International Students Can Study for Free or Almost Free here. Please feel free to contact me if you need additional information; I will be more than happy to assist in any way I can.
Disclaimer:  Please double check with each university should you desire to enroll as information may have changed since the writing of the article

1. Colette S says:

This is a very useful list!
    I’m glad to learn this information.
    Now I just wish one of those were in my state and closer to where I live!!

Colette sometimes you have to move to get what you want. I am from Jamaica and I did graduate school in the USA

2. Edwin Lao says:

Thank you for this wonderful share. My wife and I are planning to migrate abroad. We both are from the Philippines and as we discuss the future of our relationship we planned to have our kids studying abroad. This would be a great option for us to have.

Edwin that is great news. Please also see my list of universities in Europe that offer free tuition

3. Jessica says:

That’s great that colleges are doing this. College tuition just keeps going up and up every year, it’s insane!

Jessica it is big business…if we continue the way we are then we will not have many college educated persons to fill top positions

4. More colleges such offer free tuition. At least now, many colleges–including the Ivy League–are offering loan free financial aid if your income is under a certain amount.

Ivy league universities have huge benefactors and many persons attend for free…of course you have to have a fabulous GPA

5. Mhaan A says:

It is really nice to know that there are still free colleges in the US. College is really expensive and some of the kids who can’t afford opted to work instead.

Mhaan opting to work instead of going to college is not bad by itself. However the cost should not be so prohibitive that persons cannot afford to go

6. Shelly C. says:

This is such a great list! Thank you so much for sharing. The cost of college is just scary. When I was looking into a 529 plan for my daughter, the estimated cost for 4 years of college at a public university is $459,000.

Shelly are you kidding me? Please tell me that is not US Dollars. I think some of these companies might be over reaching. Education is big business in the US

7. This is pretty awesome news. College is very costly and any help one can get would be appreciated es p when it comes to education.

Kathy I do agree with you…education is not cheap and anything to keep students away from excessive debt is always a blessing

8. I had no idea that these were an option! I wonder is there are any similar options here in Canada…

Ann there are scholarships all over the world. I know that you can get a Phd in some areas of study for free in Canada because I was about to attend there.

9. That’s a pretty amazing list! I didn’t even know there was such thing as tuition-free colleges. I’m sharing this with my cousins that live in the states!

10. michelle says:

My son is heading to college next summer, this is perfect. Thank you for sharing

Michelle all the best to you and your son as he embarks on this very important phase of his life. I hope he will be able to find something on the list to assist him.

11. Amber Nelson says:

I didn’t know such thing existed here in the States. I wish every college was tuition free here. A lot of countries do that.

Amber I am shocked that a country like the US is so big on student loans rather than cheaper college tuitions

12. Nikki says:

I never knew there was such a thing as tuition-free colleges! What a fantastic way to learn skills and not break the bank!

Nikki without knowledge people perish. That is why I am always researching, always looking around for ways to save on a college education

13. What would it be like to have free tuition I can only dream about! We have gone back to school and I have to admit it’s super expensive even with scholarships. How are these schools not overrun?!?

Heather if you go to the link they will tell you how they manage what they do. Instead of hiring persons students are on a work study program for some of them. Then there are benefactors along with other things

14. rizza smith says:

I wish we had a free tuition fee here in our country

Rizza there are many scholarships all over, you just need to do a bit of research to find them. It might mean moving out of your comfort zone but they are out there

15. victoria says:

I’m so glad that have a free tuition in colleges this is very helpful and I hope tuition free in college was have in our country

16. These are great options! I’m not sure if my oldest will be going to college because he has special needs but if his younger brother decides to I will have to keep these in mind.

Ashleigh I am happy to see your statement “if he decides to go”. Sometimes we feel we need to force these things on our kids

17. Denea says:

I wish I would have known! A million dollars in student loan debt! I wish I had free tuition!

Denea are you serious? what currency is this student loan in? There are so many students who are struggling with this…sigh

18. Jolleen Ruiz says:

Oh well this is neat. Being able to afford college is hard. Thanks for the list!

I know of one in the Midwest as well. If you live in the town for x number of years, you can go to the university at no charge.

20. Your post is such a fantastic resource! Thank you so much for compiling this information. I am glad there are universities that offer free tuition. I wish this list was a lot longer and served across the U.S.A. I still feel bad that despite the taxes we pay the college tuition fees are exorbitant!

Cara I am still doing research and will add the names as I find them. So please come back for updates

21. Megan McCoig says:

Wish I didn’t have to pay tuition fees, it’s pretty mandatory here in the Uk!

Megan you need to look for scholarships there as well. My girlfriend from Jamaica did graduate school there and she did not pay anything

22. Anosa says:

I wish the UK had something similar and if they do it’s well hidden secret.

23. Roxanne says:

I had no idea there was such a thing as a tuition free college!!! Where was this list waaaay back when I was a teenager looking for schools. lol

24. Sara Oberton says:

What a great list! This would really save a lot of people from going into school debt and having to pay off loans.

25. Nicole Escat says:

It’s so nice that they have a tuition free! Nice list. I need to tell this to a friend. Thanks!

26. I didn’t know about most of these. This is some useful info to have as my daughter is not that far off from needing this info

Laura I am glad I was able to provide you with this information. Please share when your daughter gets accepted

27. Toni says:

As a mom of two high schoolers and a college instructor, thank you! Our kids need to be encouraged to explore all of their options.

28. Michelle Blackwood says:

I studied in England because it was free at the time. It was so cool to get married without any student loans! I highly recommend going to college for free.

Michelle that is fabulous news. It is a great feeling indeed to not have to worry about repaying student loans

29. What a great list! I had no idea there were so many. Thank you for sharing!

30. Megan Darda says:

This is such a great resource for high school seniors.

31. There’s ALWAYS a way to get to college! Through scholarships, work programs, or grants- it’s definitely worth it!

32. Nicole Escat says:

This would be very helpful for those people who’s still searching for school to enroll.

33. Wow its cool that there are free colleges for those wo want to learn but can’t afford it.

Mihaela it is more than way cool…LOL. I know the feeling of graduating and not owing any student loans. It is liberating

34. jill conyers says:

I had no idea tuition free colleges existed. My daughter is a junior and college has been the topic of many conversations.

35. Lara says:

This info is amazing!!! Woo hoo! Free! Bookmarking this!

• Lara says:

This information can help many families – including my own! The cost of college is unbelievable and I like this alternative to the hefty school price tag.

36. My goodness I had no idea! Bookmarked, shared, and shouted from the mountains!

37. Heather says:

I had no idea this was even a possibility in the US! I am so glad you posted this. My kids are still very little, but college is something we are already thinking ahead to (it costs so much!) will have to keep these schools in mind for the future!

Heather oh YES…it is possible so I hope they will still be there when your kids are ready for College

38. Kay says:

Great post!! Very helpful, great resources here!

39. What a great list!! awesome for families looking for debt free college educations

Kylee isn’t it an awesome list indeed? I think so too…if even one student benefits from this my work here would be done

40. Great resources for kids these days! Too bad it is too late for me haha

41. aziel says:

Such a great list. glad you share this

42. Okay, this is amazing. I had NO idea there were any colleges at all with free tuition! WOW! (Now I just need to find a daycare center with free tuition LOL)

Krieten I am sure there are some programs out there for mothers who are in college to help with day care costs. You would be surprised to know the amount of things that are out there, if we only take the time to research

43. Laci says:

This is an awesome list wow !!!! Shared !

44. KRYSTLE COOK says:

I had no idea that there were free colleges. I’ve even been to Berea and had no idea that that college was free. Very good to know.

45. GiGi Eats says:

I NEVER knew any such schools existed!

Oh yes GiGi they do exist and I suspect that there are more of them. Maybe not fully funded but partially which is still good

46. Marissa says:

College education is expensive, and often overly so… however there are so many grants and scholarships available. And keeping in mind that getting a job first, then taking courses part-time is also just as good, so many work places want a degree and years of work experience now… Great list to start with though, thanks!

Marissa I so agree with you. I am not carrying any student loan debts because I decided to hunt for every funding imaginable. I always also worked part time. I think student loans are very easy to get in the USA and many times students just take more than they really need.

47. What a great list! My oldest daughter is a junior in high school, so we will definitely be revisiting this list.

48. Great post .It’s a big help for those who want to pursue highest studies and have a budget isssue

49. College education is very expensive. It’s great to know that there are tuition free colleges.

Julie I don’t understand why this has to be so expensive but I hope this list helps somewhat

50. tp keane says:

wow, this is so interesting to know. I never even knew there was free colleges in the states. great post.

tp keane there are plenty of colleges that offer full or partial scholarship. These can be competitive so students must be prepared for this

51. Amanda Love says:

I have a son who will be starting college in just 2 years so this is good to know. College Tuition is crazy and I’m currently paying for my daughter who is in her 2nd year. Can’t wait for me to stop altogether.

Amanda this could be a blessing in disguise. It might be wise to start studying what is needed in order to not pay for college

52. Agnes says:

Wow! good to know, thanks for sharing this!

53. This is great information. I have a niece who’s going to college soon. I am going to share this with my sister.

54. Leslie says:

I pinned your post, I’m loving all this information in one place. I’ll have to check these out myself, you should never stop wanting to learn.

Leslie I know only too well how many persons are struggling with mounting student loan debts. Anything that I can help I am willing to do

55. Crystal Gard says:

I don’t live in the states but thus is a good list for those who can benefit from it.

Crystal what is so good is that some of these colleges offer these scholarships to international students as well

56. Jolina says:

I know so many people who would benefit from this. I didn’t even know tuition free colleges exist! Thanks for doing the research. This is an invaluable resource.

Jolina no problem at all. This is something that is necessary if we are going to help our kids not to incur a lot of college debt

I did not know there were so many different free colleges, i might try and get a degree on health, ive always wanted to help people. Thank you for sharing this.

It’s nice to be able to learn for free, especially when you’re trying to earn a degree that you’ve always wanted. I’m glad that there are colleges and universities that give students the opportunity to graduate just by helping out.

Elizabeth I think that is a great idea because this can help to prepare students for the working world as well as getting a degree. Double Duty

59. Great resource! Will share on my social media profiles so students needing a break from debt!

Claudette trust me this student debt is getting out of hand. If they were even making good money after college to service these loans it would not even be so bad

60. Beth says:

Terrific and valuable information for parents and perspective students alike! Thank you for your comprehensive research. It is much appreciated.

-Beth

Thanks Beth, please share with as many persons as you can. Time for some relief from these student loan debts

61. Lawrence Hamilton says:

This is awesome. So many parents I know need this. I shared this with some people.

Lawrence that is fabulous. Please share it with as many persons as possible. Let us end the student loan choke hold

62. Di says:

What a great list! I think people also overlook that maybe they don’t NEED a degree for their chosen career. I think in America people go to college because it’s something they are just told should happen, rather than because they want to. It’s so expensive and people end up unable to pay off loans until their 40’s!

Di you hit the nail on the head. It takes away the joy if you are in debt for most of your adult life. This is even worst when you can’t get a decent salary after all of that

63. Cole says:

This is an amazing list! Being able to attend college for free is such a huge opportunity. I was fortunate to receive a scholarship for my second year of college but am still heavily in debt from the first year.

Cole I am so sorry top hear about the debt from just one year of college. Still happy to know though that you got some funding.

64. Debra says:

This is such a good list! My husband and I both had multiple scholarships so we were able to get our schooling free!

65. Considering how expensive tuition is normally in America you have struck a landmine with this list! I like that students can pay their way by helping out!

66. very useful information mardene, thanks for sharing

No problem Yemisi…I made a vow long time ago that I will always share anything that I have found useful

67. College of the Ozarks is in MO not MS. 😉 It’s a great school and the students who graduate from there are top notch.

Terri thank you for that, I will fix it right now. I am kinda not so familiar with the Abbreviations…LOL

68. Ronnie says:

There are tuition-free universities?! 😮 Mind blown. Do you know if any offer masters degrees as well?

Ronnie you bet there are. There are others that offer partial funding that I did not even add to the list. Please pass this on

69. Kari says:

I had no idea that tuition free options were out there!!
    Kari

70. Great information, thank you for sharing!

71. Izabela says:

Education is so expensive. It’s great though that there are some institutions that offer free education.

Izabela, the problem is many persons do not want to do what it takes to attend these free colleges

72. Karen says:

College tuition is a nightmare. When can one ever pay back student loans? Gah! Such a great resource here!
    Karen | GlamKaren.com

Karen there are way too many students leaving college with exorbitant debts. Time to search for alternatives

73. Lauren says:

I wish I knew about this when I was applying to colleges!!! This is such a great resource, thank you for sharing!

My son is looking to attend the Naval Academy. He is working hard to get accepted into it.

75. Robin Masshole Mommy says:

My cousins moved to Florida because residents there get free state college. It’s a GREAT deal.