Online Dating Dilemmas – 8 ways to Protect Yourself
It is 2016 and I seriously thought that we had gotten a handle on online dating by now. You would have to be living under a rock not to have heard some of the horror stories so why are we still being so careless when it comes to how we operate when it comes to online dating?
Online dating has been around for quite a while and many persons have found the love of their live via this medium. However, for every persons who have found that special person there are others who have suffered terribly or even lost their lives because they are looking for love. I wanted to talk about this today because another woman has lost her life due to online dating. This is not to say that this can never happen with persons who date the old-fashioned way but I want to just focus on online dating right now.
Online Dating Dilemmas – Protecting Yourself
- Do not over share in your profile. Refrain from talking about how many daughters or sons you have at home. There are pedophiles trolling the internet looking for juicy pieces of information like that and will befriend you just to get to those kids.
- Vet every person who shows an interest even before going on that first date. I know it is all new and exciting but hold your horses. Google is your best friend and remember that you can also search for images (if you are not sure how to search for images please drop me an email, I would be more than willing to show you how). Pick up the phone and make a call if he says he works at a particular place. I know many people have forgotten about the old phone but making that one call can probably save your life.
- When the time comes to meet, DO NOT, I repeat DO NOT let him pick you up at home. Please meet in a very public place; you will have to forgo the walking you to the door phase of this for now.
- Don’t forget that he can follow you home after that date so take the necessary precautions on this.
- Even after you have been on a few dates do not let your guard down. Remember some of these persons are skilled criminals so beware of seemingly sweet gestures like sending a gift to your home; this could be just a means of getting your home address
- Let your friends and family know that you have met this person so they can keep an eye out as well
- Do not be afraid to run your own background check or open source intelligent search
- TRUST YOUR GUT!
If you think this is over the top then please take a look at this list. I know that everyone, or almost everyone, is looking for love and we should not discount online dating. However, we must be extremely cautious because there are persons out there who are banking on you being careless.
Have you dipped your toes into online dating?
Are there other ways that persons can protect themselves?