Dangerous Love – A Lesson in Forgiveness

A Lesson in Forgiveness

Forgiveness is never an easy thing to do, and this situation was an extremely difficult one. I have spent several years as an expat but this pales in comparison to the life of Ray Norman and his family. The title “Dangerous Love” is truly fitting for this book! What happens between these pages will literally take your breath away.  You will never look at the life of an expat the same again after reading this book; at least I won’t.  This post is powered by BookLook Bloggers

Forgiveness

Dangerous love is set in the Islamic Republic of Mauritania at a time when there was great tension between Muslims and Western Culture. The events of 9/11 did not help the situation much because tensions peaked during that time

Mauritania is a harsh land with rampant poverty.  I thrived in this place, but for many development and humanitarian specialists working in Africa, this was one of those posts at the end of the line, a hardship post well known for its isolation and the plethora of challenges that came with it

The main point of the book took place when the author and his daughter came face to face with a violent extremist on their way to the beach. They were shot by Ali who they later found out had lost his parents and was suffering with mental issues.

Forgiveness

Ray Norman

Forgiveness Personified

I knew my chances of survival were almost nil the moment I saw the gun and the look in the eyes of the man who had stepped out of the dunes

Both Ray and his daughter were shot on that fateful day but thankfully they lived to tell the tales. Incredibly, this minister decided to continue his mission work in Mauritania.  The family struggled with the decision, as expected from anyone who has gone through trauma this severe.  A meeting with the author and Muslim Clerics gave him the answers he needed.

You see Monsieur Norman, we Muslims give alms and help the poor because the Quran instructs us to do so.  This is an obligation but with World Vision you work with the poor because you love the poor.  This is different, this is what sets you apart! If for no other reason, I encourage you to stay in this community and teach our people how to love their poor

Forgiveness

Ray Norman with World Vision coworkers and local villagers

Their willingness to forgive the man who almost took the lives of a father and daughter is the highlight of this great book.  Not only did they forgive him, but they visited and ministered to him in prison. They further astounded everyone by providing assistance for his release.

But Mr. Norman, Kamal said at last, I have always wanted you to know what a profound impact you and your family had on Ali and how grateful he always was for what you did for him

I am greatly impressed by the poise and grace shown by this family during such an ordeal.  In all of this their faith was not greatly shaken.  I highly recommend this book for every Christian, especially those who lead; even though it is a great read for just about anyone. Two thumbs up and five stars for a great example and faith and forgiveness!

1. Anna Clarke says:

This sounds like an amazing read. I have to be honest…I haven’t read too many book reviews before on blogs, but this was a beautiful explanation and a glimpse of what sounds like an incredible story that can encourage the Church and provide a picture to unbelievers about what Christ-like forgiveness looks like. Thank you for sharing! And I can’t wait to see what other reads you find! -xx Anna

2. Marissa says:

Interesting! It’s great to hear your thoughts on the book too. Thanks for sharing it.

3. Leigh says:

This sounds like a really good read!

4. Jen says:

I loved this book so much. It’s amazing what stories people have to tell!!

Jen you are so right…this is indeed a story of faith and forgiveness in action. I would recommend it for every Christian

5. This reminds of the story of Jim + Elizabeth Elliot. The power of forgiveness.. thank you for sharing!

Samantha I have never heard about that couple, I am going to have to look it up. Stories like these make us want to do better than we are doing because there are so many people going through way more than we are dealing with

6. Miranda says:

Sounds like a powerful book, it takes a lot of grace to forgive someone who wronged you much less someone who tired to take your life

Miranda when I read it I was like wow! what do I have to complain about? The things that I sometimes make a fuss about pales in comparison to what this family had to go through. Forgiveness in action

7. Tara says:

What a great example and testimony! Thank you for sharing it!

My pleasure Tara..this really encouraged me and I hope you get a chance to read this great book

Amazing is just not even enough to describe this testimony. What a great story about forgiveness!

8. Katie says:

Wow, thanks for sharing. An intriguing story to say the least. I’m adding it to my list!

9. Alonda says:

Wow! This sounds like a great read!

10. Wow what an amazing testimony, thanks for sharing this book. I can’t promise that I’ll read it but it’s definitely worth knowing about and sharing.

Florence amazing testimony indeed. I could not put this book down. This is the second book review that I have done that has really grabbed me this way.

11. Andrea says:

I’m always amazed as to everything that God can do in a person’s life

Andrea so am I…God is am amazing God and this book really stirred me. I am keeping this one!

12. GiGi Eats says:

I am so embarrassed to admit that I haven’t read a BOOK in such a long time! Er, um…. GAH! Life is just too hectic to sit down with a book – but that’s no excuse?

GiGi if you have to start somewhere then start with this book. Believe me it will give you the urge to read again. I got it as a review copy through booklook Bloggers.