9 Reasons Why I Need to Live in Jamaica

9 Reasons Why I Need to Live in Jamaica

Jamaica,  The land of wood and water, the land of my birth and the land I miss so much.  No matter where in the world I am, my mind is always on this island in the sun.   Incidentally, I am not the only Jamaican who feels this way.  If you talk to most of us, you will get the same vibe.  We travel far and wide but there is no place like home.

Jamaica

There are some unique things to eat in my country that only tastes great there.   Not many persons will understand this but the average Jamaican will totally get this statement.   Even when we locate some of these items in another country, they never taste the same as when you get to eat it on spot.   Yeah, yeah I know that makes me sound all picky but once you know the best, it is hard to return to second best.  The food is what I kinda miss the most and because I am such a picky eater, it is hard to deal with.   I live in Florida, in an area with a huge Caribbean presence so it is not hard to find produce and other items that are from Jamaica.   However, for the most part, the taste is just not the same and maybe I am just being unreasonable!

• Mangoes
  • Jelly Coconut
  • Mr. Barnett Bread (Albert Town, Trelawny)
  • Yellow Yam
  • Gloria’s Fish and Bammy

Jamaica

More Reasons I Love Jamaica

• Coronation Market
  • Sugar Cane
  • Real Mint Tea
  • Sweet Guinep

Jamaica

This little piece of paradise is my home and I cannot wait to get back home to dig into a nice juicy East Indian mango.

If you need to see another great article showcasing my country please take a look here and if you want to see a few patois phrases take a look here

1. Danielle H. says:

I visited Jamaica exactly one year ago, and loved it! I certainly wouldn’t mind an extended vacation, next time 🙂

Cheers!

Danielle I hope you get a chance to do that. The best way to see Jamaica though is to stay with someone who already lives there…

2. doran poma says:

Mangos are a favorite of mine. I need to go back to Jamaica!

Doran make sure you get some East Indian mangoes. They are just amazing

3. Mangoes and coconuts alone would make me want to move to Jamaica too!

Shannon….LOL…I hear you and I absolutely agree with you….can’t wait to get back

4. Tonya C says:

I haven’t visited Jamaica yet but it is on my bucket list! My sister went there and loved it!

5. i have heard beautiful places in jamaica, i just hope i can visit those awesome places someday

Melandria what you have heard is so true and I hope you are able to visit one of these days.

6. The food and the people are the main reason I would like to live in Jamaica.

Healing you are so right…that coupled with the scenery will just keep you coming back for more

7. Jenn Peters says:

I love your 9 reasons. Now I have several more reasons why I need to visit Jamaica 🙂

Aaaaaaaaaaw Jenn thank you…I am sure you are going to love it. Do share when you get back

8. Rosey says:

Everyone who lives there seems to love it. Everyone who used to live there describes it with love.

Rosey it is a hard place to forget once you have lived there. It is always on my mind

You pretty much had me at the top with mangoes. I’ll bet they are incredible on the island.

Liz you have no idea….I am drooling right now just thinking about it. They have some mangoes called East Indian and words cannot explain…..I miss Jamaica

10. oana79 says:

Ha, can you believe it, I have never heard of most of the things on the list but would love to visit Jamaica and learn all about them and more!

Oana LOL…that’s okay…unless you are from Jamaica and possibly the Caribbean you might not have a clue what I am talking about…but its all good

11. I would love the real ginger teas. and fruits….Taste better in Jamaica must be the blue water. The coffee is my favorite too.

Patrice, oh yes…I love the real ginger tea as well. Not really a huge coffee drinker but I do love me some Blue Mountain Coffee

12. Jamaica sounds like a really great place. I only know Jamaica after watching the movie “Cool runnings” Definitely will be on my buck list for sure 🙂

Stephanie and that is not even the half of what you can see and experience in Jamaica….I hope you get to visit one day

13. That is super brief and yet so poignant of someone who simply wants to live where they want to for the simple delights in life… I sure would love to Live in Jamaica for at least 3 months of ten year…for other reasons lolol

Julie now we are talking the same language. That is what I would like to do except the other way around…I would like to live somewhere else for 3 months out of the year…LOL

14. victoria says:

Jamaica was one of my bucket list, I would love to go there someday with my family

Victoria I hope you do get to visit with your family, you are all going to love it

15. Keating says:

Jamaica looks so gorgeous and sounds so amazing. Everyone is posting travel photos lately and I’m so jealous! haha I’ve never even anywhere exciting. I’ve never even left the east coast of the United States. But my husband and I are planning a cruise to Bermuda this summer when he returns home from his deployment and I’m SO excited for it.

Keating that is great. One thing I have realized is many Americans have never left America. I hope you have a great time on your trip….Bermuda is a very nice place as well

16. Heather says:

Jamaica sounds fun to at least experience.

Oh yes Heather…..it is a lot of fun but you still get to learn so much about our culture while you are there

I love fruits, I can live on them for a long time and I totally dig that most of your reasons involve fruits! That’s so awesome.

Elizabeth I love fruits too…I especially love East Indian mangoes. I hate when so much has been added to fruits that they lose their flavour

18. mardenec@hotmail.com says:

Claudette it is not the same at all. They taste way different. Most of the mangoes have no flavour and I could go on and on about the other things…..SIGH

19. You are too funny but you can get most of these things in any big city in North America and for sure in London, England. 🙂 You pay way more but… 🙂

20. I would miss home too much! It might be fun to visit though! It would be great to have access to the food though without all the chemicals and preservatives!

You said it yourself, Mangoe and Yam! i dont need anything else =). <3

The mangoes are not the same in the USA and elsewhere at all. It is hard to expplain

22. mardenec@hotmail.com says:

Oh yes Heather…just thinking about it makes me so home sick. Especially since I grew up on a farm in rural Jamaica….fruits, fruits galore without preservatives and things to make you sick

23. Heather says:

Lots of cool fruits & vegetables in Jamaica, wish we could get some of it here!

24. angie says:

sounds like great reasons for me. I hear jamaica is beautiful. I do believe I would love to visit there one day as well

Angie I hope you get to visit. I know I am biased but I have never seen anywhere to compare and I have visited quite a few places

25. Lori Labre says:

Jamaica is on my list. I have written these down as To Do’s when I get there… I am sure that I can find some more (including no snow like where I am now). Just thinking about it has warmed me up. Thanks.

Lori, I did not know that it is still snowing anywhere at this time….oh dear….the food in Jamaica will make you want to stay there and not come back…LOL

26. Emma white says:

Ive always wanted to go to Jamaica, it’s defiantly on my bucket list!

Emma, I hope you get the chance to visit…be warned though…you may not want to come back….LOL

27. jen says:

I have never heard of jelly coconut! Beautiful photos 🙂 Thank you for sharing.

28. Its the same for me in the Philippines. There are just way too many good things about this place.

Kathy, I have heard that the scenery there is comparable to Jamaica so I want to take a trip there one of these days

29. GiGi Eats says:

Crazily enough, I have never been south of TEXAS!!!! But it is definitely a priority for the future!

GiGi….I am sorry to hear…I actually did graduate studies at the University of TX @ Austin…so I was far far away from home

30. Robin Masshole Mommy says:

I feel that way about Boston. I could never leave.

Robin that is good to hear. It is always a great thing when we love where we live. I have never been to Boston but I hear it is lovely