10 Things Church Discussions Should Cover

10 Things Church Discussions Should Cover

Church discussions should at least include the 10 things I am about to discuss in this blog post.   As a church we must serve the whole man and not just bits and pieces.

Church Discussions

Church Discussions For the Total Man

I believe that that our churches need to get more involved in the total lives of the members. Every aspect is important! If we just feed one part, then the other sections will be starved and we end up with an unbalanced person who only knows how to operate when they are at church.With that in mind, I have come up with a list of areas that we should try to discuss on a regular basis as a Church:

• How to prepare for marriage
  • How to behave in a marriage
  • Entrepreneurship
  • Savings and investment
  • House/Property Purchase

Church Discussions

Church Discussions That Matter

• Divorce and remarriage
  • Debt Management
  • Health and Fitness
  • Blended Families
  • Dealing With Being Single (Especially After a Certain Age)

Too often we take it for granted that our members are aware of these things. Only to come to a rude awakening when there is divorce, infidelity, bankruptcy and other things that could sometimes be avoided if persons knew the appropriate way to respond.

Desire without knowledge is not good, and whoever makes haste with his feet misses his way….Proverbs 19:2

We should be quick to share what we know with our brothers and sisters so that we are all on the same page.   Yes the spiritual is very important but whenever possible we should seek to strike that balance so that we take care of the entire man.

My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge….Hosea 4: 6a

For those Churches that are already doing this, God be praised.   Fort those that are lagging behind in all or some of these areas, let us not gloss over this but seek to feed the whole member instead of just a part.

This is not an exhaustive list so please feel free to add suggestions in the comments section.

What do you think your church should be discussing?

1. Very interesting and some great points – Thanks for sharing!

2. This is great advise .
    The church has more and more responsibilities in this generation.
    Thank you for speaking about some of these issues here.?
    God bless

3. Sarah Jane says:

Another subject that churches should be talking about is suffering. Too often we tend to think, “I’m a Christian. God would never let that happen to me.”

Sarah thank you so much for your input. This is a good one that should have been on the list

4. Kirby says:

One topic that I think Churches should discuss is masculinity. Our Church has been doing a series and it has been excellent. Our men’s ministry I feel has really developed and taken off since we started. I like that you talked about blended families. We talk a lot about marriage and divorce but sometimes miss the second and third layers which are blended families. There is a real struggle here. I know many blended families that feel separated from the church because of divorce and remarriage. We really have to get better at inclusion for these families.

Kirby you are so right about discussing masculinity, thank you for adding that most important part. Sigh, sometimes the church is so one sided…at least my denomination is….we do not pay attention to certain things, because we assume they are not important.

5. Sheila says:

A couple of things to add to the list:
    What to do When you’ve said I Do: The first year of marriage for every couple should be followed up on with 3 counseling sessions throughout the first year to check in with the couple and see how they are doing.
    It’s OK to Offend “Religious” People: Jesus did it all the time because He cared about people’s souls. Sometimes that means getting “dirty”
    I am fortunate to be in a church that truly is culturally relevant, but there are many churches I have attended who have no idea what it means to be culturally relevant. Many times they think it means they know what is going on in the world. Part of that is true, but the other is meeting the needs of broken people in a broken world no matter where they are from.
    Great thought-provoking post!

Sheila thank you so much for your contribution to this discussion. This is some good stuff right here.

6. Miranda says:

This is why I love my church. We discuss every single one of those topics maybe not in a sermon. But we over 70 small groups from a wide range of topics.

Miranda I am sending you an electronic hi-five because I am so glad to hear of churches who take care of the whole man…balance is key. These are not sermon topics so even more glad to see them discussed in their own forum

7. Andrea says:

Our church is definitely discussing ALL these things on a regular basis 🙂

Andrea praise God! Everytime someone says their church is already discussing these things, I am so glad

8. wow great points! I think the church needs to really invest on finding identity in Christ through all the things you listed above. Through singleness. marriage, and parenting life. Those are seasons in our lives that should not define us but our identity should rest in him through those seasons.

Mihaela, well said. Sometimes the church tend to be one sided but the balance is needed

9. Zoe says:

This is a very good point! It’s important to be providing teaching about the gospel whilst also acknowledging the issues in the world today that can cause disruption to our lives and faith. I think my church could work on the issue of being single after a certain age, because whilst a lot of young couples (myself included) have recently married, there’s a lot of people struggling with singleness and feeling conflicted of not wanting to just desire marriage because everyone is doing it, but also just feeling sad for not having that in their lives. Issues like debt management, investment, property and anything that involves money can be very risky with how our heart is viewing that issue, but that’s probably why it needs to be discussed in church! Blended families and divorce are a must because it is extremely common now so we need to know about it in order to be welcoming to people such as kids coming to youth group. The more knowledgeable and understanding we are the better we can spread the gospel to people 🙂 great post that definitely got me thinking (as you can tell!)
    Have a great day x

Zoe thank you for reading and for taking the time to leave such a great comment. We all have work to do so let it begin with us