Pole Dancing – Out of the Closet

It’s official! pole dancing is no longer in the closet.  Historically pole dancing has been associated with strip clubs and nightclubs but this has changed drastically in the last few years.

Pole Dancing – Out Of The Closet

Pole Dancing

It is no secret that many women and men are now embracing this as a great way to get in shape.  This is a full body conditioning exercise that can change your body in a short time.

Pole dancing classes are popping up in fitness centers across America, Australia, and the United Kingdom because pole dancing is a fun, physically demanding form of exercise that can make you feel fit and sexy at the same time.   This form of exercise is centered around a vertical burlesque pole and combines dance and acrobatics

This kind of exercise is centered around a vertical burlesque pole and combines dance with acrobatics for a fabulous workout.  This is definitely not for the faint of heart as the sport requires great strength, flexibility and endurance.   The training can get rigorous but when you see the results, you will realize that it was so worth the effort.

Pole Dancing

10 Reasons to Try Pole Dancing

Life Hack provides 10 reasons why you should try this kind of exercise:

• It helps you burn calories quickly
  • It builds your self confidence
  • You’ll be less stressed out
  • It will motivate you to work out some more
  • You become more limber
  • It’s good for your bones and joints
  • It’s good for your heart and blood flow
  • You develop greater balance and kinesthetic awareness
  • It can help you have an easier time during pregnancy and childbirth
  • You will be able to fall asleep much easier

So what are you waiting for? Head to your nearest class and share your story here.   Would you give this a try?

Resources

5 ways to learn pole dancing.  Retrieved from http://www.wikihow.com/Learn-Pole-Dancing

Dimitrijevic, I. 10 unexpected health benefits of pole dancing.   Retrieved from http://www.lifehack.org/articles/lifestyle/10-unexpected-health-benefits-pole-dancing.html

1. Rebecca says:

Thanks for sharing, it sounds like a great way to get into shape!

Rebecca I really believe it is. That is why I committed to doing more research and looking for a class to attend…LOL

2. I have heard that pole dancing is a great workout, which explais why more classes have been popping up over the years and becoming more accessible. I know that whole-body strength definitely comes into play to do those cool tricks!

Oh most definitely Holly…I think also it is the intrigue that draws a lot of women to it

3. Nikki says:

I think pole dancing can be a beautiful sport to watch. It all depends on the dancer and his/her performance. It’s almost like an acrobatic activity with how strong you have to be to perform it well!

4. I know several people who take pole dancing classes and they love it! Maybe one of these days I’ll give one a try 🙂

Carly I don’t really know anyone personally but I can see how effective this can be on the body. As soon as I find a class I will be giving it a try

5. Denea says:

Confession: I really want to learn to pole dance. Like Zumba its great exercise and Im sure it makes you feel great. The problem is I dont want to look dumb!

Denea if you think about it like that you will never get started. Like everything else practice makes perfect

6. Lisa Rios says:

Pole Dancing is such a great skill & I agree that the sport requires great strength & flexibility to do it. I just love that there are lot of benefits on trying it out, not sure if my body would have that flexibility to try it!

7. GiGi Eats says:

I have tried POLE DANCING before – it’s cool, and I wish I could be super friggin’ sexy doing it. But I am kind of just an awkward mess! LOL!

8. Amber Nelson says:

This would be interesting to try. I can see why It would be a good workout.

9. HilLesha says:

I have always heard it was good exercise, but I haven’t tried it yet. Personally, I think I’d just prefer dancing sans the pole. 🙂

10. Oh my Goodness, this looks great. I love the photos at the tip and it inspires me to try something new.

11. CourtneyLynne says:

I actually took a pole fitness class before and omg! Mad respect to those who do that for a profession because I couldn’t walk for a week! Definitely a great workout!

Hhahahahahahahhahahaha CourtneyLynne I actually laughed out loud. You should have kept up with it by now you would have been an expert

12. Ryan Escat says:

I remeber my wife wants to learn this pole dancing, because I want her to be sexy LOL and I want to see her in my front sitting and dancing in pole LOL.

13. Jesenia says:

I’ve heard it’s a great workout, but I can see myself on the floor more than once just from trying. 🙂

Jesenia…me too but I am willing to learn pole dancing if it is the last thing I do..lol

14. Mimi Rose says:

Pole dancing is definitely one of those things I’ve been meaning to try out – it looks like such a great workout and confidence boost! Thanks for the inspiration. 🙂

15. Lexie Lane says:

I would love to do this. I hear it’s super intense but not only is it a lot of fun, but it also really gets you into shape!

16. Bethany says:

I love pole dancing. There is seriously NO other work out anything like it. Or as fun!

17. Wow, she has an awesome figure for a 62-year old! I’m half her age and I don’t think I can do that!

18. tp keane says:

I tried a little of this once… gold almighty it took some queer strength. My hats off to anyone who can do this.

TP Keane I absolutely agree with you. I shall master this if it is the last thing I do

19. Jenn says:

This is something that I’ve been wanting to try. It really is a full body workout. I’m going to have to look in to finding a class near me!

Jenn I am looking and not finding any as close as I want but I will keep looking. Do share when you have started

20. Nicole Escat says:

I wanna try to learn this, it looks quite sexy, I’m gonna check those school that near in my area.

Nicole I so think it looks sexy too…LOL…I wonder if that is why I am so eager to do it….SHHHHHHHHHH

21. Amanda Love says:

I’ve always been interested in learning and think having one in my home might be better. I have the room downstairs to add it too. This is totally up my alley.

Amanda you have given me quite the idea. That is a fabulous idea to get a pole set up in my house

22. Rosey says:

I’m not very coordinated,lol. I’d def. certain it would be more of a comedy than a workout for me. 😉

Rosey maybe at the beginning it might be a comedy but when you see that body begin to take shape and the strength you will be smiling but for a different reason

23. Rebecca Swenor says:

I have heard only good things about pole dancing from those that do it for exercise. Pole dancing would indeed be great for burning of the calories. I didn’t know that it would make getting to sleep easier but it does make sense. It would be fun to try it with my sisters. Thanks for sharing the information.

Rebecca I have always said that pole dancing is something to be tried with a group of friends but sisters can also work…..lots of laughter

24. Debra says:

I had a friend who took a class in college and I was so impressed with the upper body strength she gained!

Debra I need upper body strength and what better and fun way to get it than with pole dancing

25. Amanda says:

I miss pole – It was such a good workout! I used to do it at a fitness studio a few years ago, but stopped when I moved 🙁 I hope to get back into it one day.
    xx, Amanda
    geekyfashionista.blogspot.com

I am trying hard to find someplace near me that teaches this. I think every woman should try this at least once

26. This would not be fun for anyone if I was doing it! LOL. I can see that it would be a good workout, though!

Terri you had me laughing out loud for real….I would totally love to be doing the class with you

27. I have terrible upper body strength. I would have to start with a baby pole!

Me too Carmen and that is why I really need to do this. I think it would be very good for me

28. becca says:

I have a few friends who have taken pole dancing classes. It looks like a really great work out, and they’ve become so much stronger!

Becca I cannot wait to find a class close to me…it is really a great way to get stronger

29. Shann Eva says:

I’ve never tried a class like this, but I’ve always wanted to. It looks like a lot of fun and a great workout.

Shann from what I have heard it is an excellent workout. Trying to find a class then I will post my exploits

30. Vicky says:

I can’t imagine I am strong enough or coordinated enough to do this, but goodness it looks like a fantastic workout.

31. Vicky says:

I can’t imagine I would be strong enough or coordinated enough to do this but goodness it looks like a fantastic workout.

32. Pole dancing is awesome! I’ve done it at a few bachelorette parties. I considered trying it for excersizes but a few places near me were fairly pricey.

Oh Tia how was it? Well you must have liked the experience to consider trying it out after the parties

33. Julie says:

Those women all look so strong! I love the TV show So You Think You Can Dance and I remember there was a girl who did pole dancing a couple years ago. It was so impressive!

Julie I am beyond impressed and it is at the top of my bucket list. Researching classes as we speak….LOL

34. Yes, I would love to give this a try! I need to first build up my upper body strength. I heard upper body strength is important with this exercise. I did however do the chair dancing exercise. Thanks for sharing!

Daria, I am doing it so I can build up my upper body. It is very weak as I tend to focus more on my lower body

35. I love the idea of pole dancing and have the utmost respect for people who can actually do it! The strength and conditioning needed to be able to do this well is unbelievable. It doesn’t have a negative connotation for me, but then again I’ve never been to a strip club? lol

Jessica no negative connotation here for me. All I see when I look at this are women with remarkable strength

36. You know my mom was always telling me pole dancing was great exercise and I always knew it was but never actually considered doing it – now I am!

37. Sounds sexy, flexible, awesome and some real cool bruises as you land on your backside till you are more stable on he pole. I like it 🙂

LOL…Julie I always look forward to your comments and this one is no different. I so agree with you….hahahhaha

38. shoppingduck says:

I think I’ll pass! Not my cup of tea.

39. That 62 year old is amazing! I am in my 50s and I am not that limber! Actually, my 77 year old mom is more active than me! I would love to try pole dancing classes. I am going to look around if there is any near where I live.

40. I don’t think I could do it. My upper body strength has never been much to sneeze at, that’s for sure.

41. I took a few pole dancing classes, loved it! Sad my schedule doesn’t allow me to come back!

42. amanda says:

This looks like such a fun way to exercise!

43. Lori Labre says:

Awesome. Though I am not coordinated…. Nor flexible…. Will probably stick to the pool. But hmmm. Never know. Thanks for the share. Will see if anything offers this out my way.

44. lauramaria3 says:

Absolutely! I’ve been pole dancing for over a year now and it’s very addicting to see the progress one makes. It’s incredibly rewarding to see yourself in the mirror nailing moves you never though you could!

45. I have many people telling me good things about pool dance lately. Might want to take a class just for fun

46. beckysbestbites says:

I would totally try this if there was a class close to me. I highly doubt that they would have one down here though…lol 🙂

47. mskathykenny says:

This is one of those things that I wanna try but I gotta admit I am too scared to do so. I am heavy and I just feel like it won’t happen for me.

48. yes I so would give this a try so much great fun

You know what? My daughter could do this. She’s always had great arm strength even before bodybuilding. I totally need to encourage her to try.

50. I enjoy watching pole dancers. Maybe I can get my wife to try it. Something we will end up doing together if I’m successful. Wish me luck!

51. Ha haaa I would give this a try…and have a private show for pauli! And I love the agility, flexibility it gives one. My limbs should go try this out. At least once 🙂

Julie Syl Kalungi

52. Euge Nia says:

My friend take pole dancing classes and she really loves it! She becomes more confident and less stressed! Which, in fact, makes me think. Maybe I should do this too…Thanks for sharing such a great post!

53. I’d love to attend in pole dancing lesson but I may be scared to what others say

I’ve always been curious about it! It seems so interesting and exciting. I’m a bit doubtful if I can do it, but I’d love to give it a try.

55. I burst out laughing when I saw your headline as it brought back memories of me taking up pole dancing at 43 years old or so. Suffice it to say, I did not last the whole sessions. I still cannot get up on a pole but I really loved the experience.

• LOL…Claudette and you made me burst out laughing reading it….I am glad you did not say like many say that you are too old to try….too many women who are beyond 40 feel like life has stopped or they are over the hill as many say.

56. babyseals2 says:

Great post Mardene. I have a friend that does pole dancing. She even has the pole in her bedroom. Definitely a good form of exercise for sure. Thanks for sharing 🙂

57. BluKatDesign says:

This would be great exercise but I am a clod!

58. Ana De-Jesus says:

I have never taken a pole dancing class but I would like to and it is good to build up strength too.

59. Anamika Ojha says:

Nice Post! I want to learn it but am not sure whether my body has so much strength or flexibility. Thanks for sharing this post with us.

60. Carlee says:

It does seem like it would be a fun workout! It seems like I might have to build up some strength first though!

61. Amy says:

My weak wrists and shy persona are not ready for this. It is rather intriguing though!

62. Annie says:

I have done a little pole… I actually hate the “dancing” aspect of it, but love the fitness aspect of it. I’m completely happy to do specific things that someone teaches me, but if they’re like “okay dance go” I’m just like what how I don’t know how to dance what do I do.

63. momknowsbest15 says:

I dont have the talent to do this. I think I would fall on my face.

64. This takes amazing skill to do not to mention strength.

65. I have been so curious about this for a long time. I just can’t work up the courage to give it a try!

66. I took a few pole dancing classes. It was a lot of fun, but too much of a workout for me.

67. Love it! But I’d just end up giggling all the time while doing it – I’m not very good at keeping a straight face!

68. Rev Crouse says:

My arms hurt looking at those pictures and video but, hey, I’m willing to try!

69. Robin Rue (@massholemommy) says:

There are tons of pole dancing classes around here, but it’s definitely not for me.

70. I’m past my sell by date, so I would not think of pole dancing.