Aging Gracefully In Today’s World

Older2014

I wish the time hadn’t gone so fast, though. And sometimes I wish I’d enjoyed it more on the way, and worried about it less.”
Neil Gaiman

The question was asked, can we be taught how to grow old gracefully? and I believe that we can. I did not see my parents obsess over getting older, I saw them grow old gracefully.  I never once heard any of my parents talk negatively about getting older and that is the same attitude I have towards getting older.  It is not as if we have a choice, whether we accept it or not, we are all getting there. It therefore makes perfect sense to just get over it and enjoy the ride!

“You don’t stop laughing when you grow old, you grow old when you stop laughing.”
George Bernard Shaw

If there is one thing that we cannot escape is getting older.  If you start throwing a tantrum from age 30 then how will you manage when you get to 50 and beyond.  Believe me it is not that serious, and our attitude will determine how we deal with aging. Stop thinking so much about it; or better still stop thinking so negatively about it!

“It`s not how old you are, it`s how you are old.”
Jules Renard

Here is the thing, since we are all going to get older how about we just take the best care of ourselves.  Laugh more, move more, love more, pay attention to what you eat and as I said before, just enjoy the ride.  I am not going to obsess about getting older and I urge you to do the same.

Older21010

“Just because you’re grown up and then some doesn’t mean settling into the doldrums of predictability. Surprise people. Surprise yourself. (281)”
Victoria Moran

I am not going to pretend as if I am not growing older; instead I am going to stare it straight in the eyes and dare it to run me over.  Oh yeah, you can decide to be over the hill or on top of the hill. It is totally up to you. Do not allow those around you to dictate to you where this is concerned.  Instead of worrying about it, take the necessary precautions to take the best care of yourself.

PostOlder

I do not align myself with negative Nancies so I stay away from friends who want to have a woe is me, I am getting old party.  Instead I hang with friends who know that attitude is everything; and that the world does not dictate how we embrace getting older. So for this year my bucket list includes learning how to pole dance and belly dance.  YES that is what I said, I dance to my own tune whether the world thinks its okay or not (no pun intended). Be bold, be fearless, and remember what the  alternative is.

“When someone says they feel old, I always want to ask them why they feel old. Time passes for everyone. No one is exempt.”
Donna Lynn Hope

1. Ayesha Heart says:

Love this! Aging is all about our experience 🙂

2. Ayesha Heart says:

Nice and awesome post. It’s all about your heart.

Life gets more interesting the more you grow ! This is an awesome message to share with the world and in the end age it’s just a number

4. It is a great message you spread! Thnks for this

5. Getting older does suck but it is a part of life. I love your tips on aging gracefully

6. Debbie Denny says:

Love it. I have pretty much the same attitude.

7. Esme Sy says:

I like to dance to my own tune as well. I like to age gracefully by having the right attitude and enjoying what I’m doing.

8. I whine about getting old (my birthday is next month) even though I still get carded when I want to buy lottery ticket or alcohol hehehe I actually cried when I turned 30 but when I turned 31 I didn’t. Aging gracefully is about your attitude and not really about your appearance!

9. wdfyfe says:

Great minds think alike. Thanks for dropping by http://wdfyfe.net/2016/02/19/omg-cindy-crawfords-50/ and you’re absolutely right “attitude is everything” as you prove with your blog (on the same day) Cool!

10. Katarzyna says:

That was a great read! I love your attitude towards growing old. I always was saying that I want to grow old gracefully – I even promised myself to stop dying my hair later in my life – I have a picture of my grandma in front of my eyes, who ages so gracefully and she never hid her gray hair – she even kept it very long which I find endearing and I probably do the same.

11. My attitude is very similar to you. I wish I had adopted it much earlier but hey, I am not one for regrets either. I so embrace ageing as we have no choice other than to commit suicide at whatever point we think is enough! Like you, I love to colour my hair and did so for many years, in all kinds of shades. However, of late, as the grey hairs are taking over, I decided to stop colouring and allow Nature’s colourist to do her thing! I am claiming my beauty at whatever age! Love your pictures!

12. Jennifer says:

Good read, sometimes we just need a little reminder to get up and start living and do the things we really should be doing and forget about this age thing. Whether we like it or not it’s going to happen. So, color your hair, if you want to, dance if you want to, dress up if you want to and just enjoy life.

13. I love your looks from dress to casual. Being graceful is one of the best traits a woman can have.

14. Ana De-Jesus says:

i fear aging but shouldn’t i embrace it instead? because we only have one life and we might as well live it right?

15. This is really worth to read. Thank you for sharing.

16. mhaan.a-ds says:

You definitely age gracefully dear. 🙂

That’s a lovely message. Growing old is never something you can avoid so why not just ride the waves and enjoy it, right? We’ll just regret not living enough when the time comes.

18. TT says:

Reblogged this on 40+/Single/Clueless and commented:
    No person is always positive. No person is always negative. It’s that center. There’s some sort of a dissonant balance that may be found through time and space. It’s grace. It’s love. It’s hope.

I am going to not act my age as I grow older. I will act younger.

20. Love this. I was a mess in my 20’s. Early 30’s were very difficult. Late 30’s Rock! Let’s bring it on! Life gets more interesting as we age. Thanks for the post.

21. Love this.
    You know, I’m not sure how this happened, but just as I made the decision to follow your blog, I received a notice that you were now following my blog. That’s a little eerie, don’t you think? 🙂

22. @fitone says:

Love this! Thanks for posting

23. John Hric says:

well said. very well said.

24. Well, you look gorgeous in your photos! And I must say, I struggle with this. I see those lines and grey hairs and I don’t embrace them. But I’d rather have my lines and grey than be one of those people who are struggling so hard to hang on that they resort to botox and lip injections and other things that I think make someone look unnatural. I admit though, I do feel the need to color my hair! By the time I am a grandmother, I plan to look like a grandmother. Hopefully a healthy grandmother.