Unrealistic Expectations from Lazy Employees

Secretary bored at work

For the life of me I do not understand why some employees expect to be rewarded for non-productivity and laziness. I always tell the persons I supervise that I will always report the truth and I will make my decisions based on how they work. So any person who works with me should not be shocked when I make any decision because it is made clear to them exactly how I operate.

For some reason people tend to get all bent out of shape when a decision is made that is not exactly the way they want it. Years of service does not equate productivity or competence and as employees we need to recognize that. Two persons can start on the same day, in the same department and one person takes the time to learn all they can about the department they are working for and generally shows interest in what is going on. The other person takes the other route and many times expect to be rewarded just like the person who showed some interest and worked hard.

I cringe when I hear persons fussing about the fact that an employee who has years of service was passed over for a promotion. My question is always the same, what kind of employee has this person been? If this person showed no interest in what the company is trying to do; showed no respect for those who are in authority; did as they pleased on a daily basis, why should they expect to be rewarded for this kind of behaviour.

Secretary bored at work

Now don’t get me wrong for there are many persons who have worked hard from the first day on the job and have been passed over by supervisors and mangers. If this is the case and you know that you truly deserve more then I would suggest that you speak to your HR Department or seek employment elsewhere; somewhere that operates with fairness and equity.

As employees let us seek to fairly evaluate ourselves at regular intervals. Do not make a fuss if you know that you have not been a productive worker. Ask yourself if you would want to employ or promote you and be very objective when you answer that question. If the answer is NO then look at ways that you can become the employee that your supervisor is glad to promote without reservation.

1. Lack of work ethic boggles my mind completely. I will never understand it!

2. I always get frustrated with those that believe they have done their time in a particular job and therefore automatically have the right to progress. When I managed a large team I was often unpopular with older members because they were overlooked for promotion – they felt that 10/20 years service was all that was required – the fact that they couldn’t get to work on time and took 10 mins longer for lunch each day never seemed to be something that they would consider a problem. Likewise, I had some youngesters that were also in this boat,but had been told at interview that in 18 months they could progress if they worked well – their idea of working well, and the company’s was very different.

3. Jaime says:

When I was younger, I used to have to deal with these people often and honestly, now that I am older, I just come in and put my nose to the grind and worry about my own work. I don’t get the laziness.

4. Esme Sy says:

I have never worked in an office, but I always hear issues about the lazy ones are the first to complain.

Hard workers sometimes are hard to find and it’s so very true that the lazy ones always complain first but that’s an opportunity to test them and see how they react with a stronger workflow at least as mannager you will discard the lazy from the hardworker faster and sometimes find a surprisingly good worker that you thought was lazy

6. Laurie says:

It’s so infuriating when people who are lazy complain about not being promoted. Why would they give more responsibility of you can’t even excell at your current position

7. I’ve worked with such people like this before, it is so annoying. I think no one should be tied to something he doesn’t like or appreciate, even for a question of money. But if you still working for this company, you should respect other people and work productively

8. sheismelrose says:

I agree with you 100% you have to earn the promotion not just expect the years to weigh it out

That makes total sense. This is very common in the work place to be honest. And usually the lazy ones are the first people to complain especially when there are changes being made in the system. That’s really something people have to realize.

10. Lexie Lane says:

Great article. Worked with this kind of people before, it is so annoying sometimes.

11. Yup, I work with someone like that but I don’t let it affect how I do my job – and everybody knows it!

12. Ana De-Jesus says:

Its true and frustrating when they are unmotivated and don’t do anything!

13. Eileen xo says:

This hits home.. so true and I always tire from the same story from those that are lazy and do not see it! I love your post!

14. I have had a few lazy employees in the past and they are the hardest to motivate. Sometimes, you have to work with them to get any productivity from them. Great post and helpful tips

15. mhaan.a-ds says:

Such a great article and I agree on most everything you have written. 🙂

16. Amen!!! I know this scenario very well. I also know some people who think that based on other criteria – such as age – they ought to be promoted simply for coming to work, albeit late. LOL

17. Nicole Lutzy says:

UGH I have worked with people like this before. It is so frustrating and I have never understood why they keep them!

18. atkokosplace says:

I totally agree with you! 🙂

If you want to earn more money then hard work is needed.

20. I enjoyed you post. Having been on both sides; employee and manager, I agree wholeheartedly.