You Better Be Texting Jesus

Put Your Phone Down Green Road Sign with Dramatic Sky, Clouds and Sun.

Are you one of those Christians who cannot put your phone down for the little time you spend in church?

It is kind of getting out of hand the amount of persons who can’t seem to put their phone down when they get to church.   This is not just teenagers, and that is the part that worries me the most.   Sometimes these are grown persons with responsibilities in the church, who for want of a better word should be setting an example.

Now I know there is a place for mobile devices because many use it to follow along with the service and that is fine.  However it goes too far when service is going on and you are texting away on whatever social media channel/s you are addicted to.  Yes I said the A word…it is an addiction if you have to spend the time in church texting away.

We have to take a step back sometimes and examine our behavior.   The fact is if you come to church to text, you could have just stayed home and do it.   Sounds harsh? I make no apologies for that.   You can’t bring your phone into the US Embassy (at least not the one in Jamaica) and yet people gladly leave their phones outside.    Wonder of wonders they actually live to tell the tales so it is not a question of not being able to live without our phones for a minute. It is a question of priorities and lack of respect or the House of God.

Many times the texting is not anything of consequence, not anything that we have to do right there and then.   There is a time and a place for everything so I really believe that when we come to the House of God, we can forgo the texting while we come together as a group to worship God.

I suggest you leave your phone in the car or at home if you are going to be tempted to take it out during the service.  If you have an addiction then using your phone to read the bible might not be such a good idea because we all know what can happen with that.

Let us show some respect when we come to church; respect for God and for the persons who took the time to prepare the service for us to enjoy.

1. I think there can be a balance. That said, I struggle with using my phone too much. I find that I pay more attention to the sermon when I use a physical Bible. Lot’s to consider here for sure!

2. tara8910 says:

I agree. I use the Bible on my phone because it’s easier than carrying my big Bible around and trying to keep up with 3 kids. If I get a notification while I am using it, it can be tempting. I sometimes take sermon notes on my phone too. I also occasionally tweet out something the preacher said that I thought was witty and wise.

3. ctwitty98 says:

I use my phone to follow along in the bible ect. Praying for those who are distracted. I used to let people being on their phones distract me, but I can’t anymore. It is the devil’s way of getting my mind off of where it should be, on God’s word. ~Chari

4. Jed Jurchenko says:

Absolutely! Showing respect is important. Staying focused on God and worship can be more challenging than ever. Taking time to unplug, slow down, and spend time in God’s presence, may be more important than ever too. Thank you for this reminder to worship God undistracted and wholeheartedly.

5. This is something we must all look out for especially when we use the bible apps on our phones. By the time you pick up your phone to refer to a bible passage, you see a new whattsap message peeping at you. Before you can stop yourself, you quickly check to see who it is. And by the time you realize, you are reading it quickly because it is a juicy information from your sister. It is only after that you realize you just did the wrong thing at work. God forgive us all.

6. This drives me crazy. I am a bible user. I just cannot get used to the app on the phone, but my husband uses his phone for his bible. And during church this Sunday, my nine year old said “dad, put that away. We are in church.” He of course showed him that he was looking up the verse. But I was a proud mom that he realized the

7. debolton says:

I love this so much you don’t even know. There needs to be a line drawn and undivided attention should be given the message. We are too tethered to our phones that are supposed to be cordless. Great message!

8. Goodness gracious this is so true!!!! It’s rude and distracting. And you are correct, it’s adults!

9. Andrea says:

well….i’m one of those who can relate to this because a LOT of times i do “use” my ipod touch while the service is going on – guess who’s gotta change…

10. Katie says:

This made me smile. I love your ability to shoot the truth straight and call it out for what it is. The world needs people like you! 🙂

11. Alonda says:

Sometimes the truth hurts but this is so full of truth! I love having my Bible on my tablet but having it on my tablet also Temps me to dig into other stuff when I should be focusing.

Working on it!

12. nashorter says:

It is very disrespectful. And i do not excuse the children either. Children live what they learn and should be taught to show reverence and respect in the House of God. Can you imagine a couple years from now when these texting children become adults in church? We will have a congregation of texters and not worshipers. IJS….

13. Nadina says:

It is very disrespectful. I do not excuse the children either. Children live what they learn therefore they should be taught to show reverence and respect in church. Can you imagine a couple years from now when all the “texting” children become adults in church? we will have a congregation of texters and no worshipers. ijs….

• Amen to that Nadina….I am not tolerant of neither kids nor adults but when the adults do it what then are we going to say to the kids? As you say children live what they learn so if they are allowed to get away with it that is what they will do.

14. Kristi says:

Some might be texting, but many, at least where I am, use their Bible app on their phone to take notes, highlight verses and follow along as the preacher is sharing. Maybe others are doing that as well.

• Kristi you can know when someone is texting vs doing those other things. You don’t read the word in facebook or twitter, at least I don’t think so. Those who are using it for those reasons know who they are and those who aren’t know who they are. It is just getting out of hand and we really need to do better…it is just bad manners

15. As a pastor’s wife I say “AMEN” I find this so disrespectful when a phone gores off during the service and I’d much rather stay on the good side of God, 🙂 as I’m sure they would too. Great post and blessings back,

16. OMG this is so true. So many ADULTS are always on their phone at my church. Show some respect. SMH!