Blog Content – The Elephant in the Room

Conflict Management
 Elephant in the room “A very large issue that everyone is acutely aware of, but nobody wants to talk about. Perhaps a sore spot, perhaps politically incorrect, or perhaps a political hot potato, it’s something that no one wants to touch with a ten foot pole. Sometimes pink elephant in the room”  Urban Dictionary

Okay so I want to talk about something that I think many of us are thinking but do not want to say out loud.  I want to talk about the quality of our blog post, especially when we are on a reciprocation group where persons have more or less signed a contract to reciprocate.   That means you can’t really just ignore the post because that would be going against the rules of the group.  Yes you can opt to comment on another post but that is taking up precious time that many bloggers do not have.

Blogging

I want to talk about this because what we post can damage our blog reputation especially if we become known for not taking care about what we post.  Now I am not saying that we are going to be on point all the time but we can at least try to think before we just throw something together. Just because we know that someone has to comment does not mean we should not careful what we post.

Successful bloggers write posts that are engaging and compelling.   When we write posts that are engaging, bloggers will seek us out even when they do not have to do so. This will also lead to persons wanting to leave a substantial comment on that post.

If we want great comments I think we need to write great content.   It is kind of unfair to complain about the comments we are getting when we are not really giving bloggers something engaging enough to demand a great comment.  I really believe that when a post is engaging enough, it is hard not to stop and add something substantial to the conversation.

great blog content label

Let us commit to writing great blog content so that our fellow bloggers will not groan each time they are to reciprocate.     Let us write blog posts that bloggers want to read and share because we took the time to think before we post.
Please don’t get me wrong because you are never going to please everyone.   What we write should interest us as well as those who are coming to read what we have posted.  As I said before this is for persons who are posting on reciprocation groups because the dynamics are different from just leaving the post on your blog.

1. I have had a few comments from people who didn’t even read my post and just gave a spammy/general “Thanks for sharing!” … I’d rather have truly engaged readers than those just tossing something out there to fulfill an obligation.. and yes, good content helps!

2. Elizabeth O says:

Well said! While one man’s content is another man’s poison, I believe we should all make some effort to write better and leave better comments.
    As I shared on another blog, (and I have written about it too) leaving meaningful comments is a real struggle for some bloggers in groups because they have so many to visit and end up leaving canned responses everywhere. They don’t have time to read the content no matter how good it might be.
    If we are going to bother visiting a blog, we should, at least, take a moment to leave a relevant comment that matches the topic. Some are unable to follow what you suggest and that’s life. <3

3. I agree! Content is key!

4. sacha says:

This is so true! When I blog I try to think what will help, or entertain my readers.

5. Omg agree!!!! To be a fabulous blogger you either have to be great with words or amazing with photos! Neither and you are doomed!

6. This is so true… great content will definitely bring more traffic

7. Eileen xo says:

You have hit the elephant in the room, spot on! I have not been blogging for very long but I have read some things in a few short months that I am not sure how to comment. You have stated what I believe everyone has thought at some point. I wish people would put off a post rather than post something that has no purpose. Well said !

8. Carmela Pop says:

Thanks for talking bout this huge elephant! I think we should all review ourselves and our content at least once a month to make sure we are on track creating good and relevant content

9. Rosey says:

It’s nice to be reminded of the importance of valuable content. I get caught up in the review content and always miss the real ‘me’ posts that have no review items in them.

10. Jonathan says:

I think it’s so important to create good, useful content. Both when commenting on other blogs and when writting content for our own blogs. I think reading the articles attentively is a good start. I even adjusted my blog to include tips for bloggers on Tuesdays so that my content would be helpful. It’s very disappointing when people don’t read what they’re responding to or write very short posts with less than 300 words. Thanks for speaking out on this topic!

I even wrote about this on my blog a little while back in September of last year here on this post: http://www.eaglesoaringhigher.com/2015/09/29/leave-comments-on-other-blogs-day-20-of-31-days-to-build-a-better-blog-from-problogger/

11. Izabela says:

I agree with you. Great content is the key to have a successful blog.

12. michelle says:

there are a lot of blog posts i read from Facebook blog comment groups that don’t pertain to me and i realize that not all of my posts pertain to others but for me i get frustrated when I read a post and can tell that no one proofed it before hand.

• Michelle, I get that not all posts will pertain to us. But as you say, some persons do not even take the time to tidy up or make sure the reading flows so we can all understand even if it does not pertain to us

13. So in agreement with you! I strive for good, interesting and enjoyable content.

14. Maddie says:

These are great tips. I agree that it’s better to take your time and post good content than to rush out not so good content.

15. Oh Oh “elephant in the room” 😉 I totally agree with you. I’m fairly new to blogging world (3 months) and I do all efforts to make good content to establish branding. When I started joining groups, there I saw these blogs.. like you’re talking about..hehe. I don’t mind not posting in weeks (like when I was on holiday), as long as I will at least publish quality posts. I will take my time 😉

16. Dainty M says:

This is a very useful post! Thanks for addressing the subject that most bloggers avoid. I trust God for the grace to post great contents and attract great comments 🙂
    I liked the picture at the top 😀

Blessings,
    ~M.

17. Esme Sy says:

I totally agree with. Taking the time to think about what you are writing is very important. You invite people to come to your blog, therefore, you should only give them great content.

18. I concur. Engaging, thought provoking content should be goal. Not only does it increase a person’s readership, it establish them as a thought leader as well. Love love this posts!

19. There is one person who I am in a group with and I think her Monday post lists off what she plans to eat for dinner for the week. Any comment on her post takes more time to write than what she posted in the first place.

Finally, someone talks about how it’s important to post something of good quality if you wants good comments to come your way. Thank you for that! This is such a good reminder for everyone who joins a group for blog comments.

21. Interesting post – sometime I roll my eyes at some of the blog posts I have to read, I’m happy to hear I’m not the only one.

22. Wow! This is right on! Specially right now, when I am trying to visit and comment on other people’s blog posts, I know that is not always easy. I like to think I get good comments on my blog, so I hope it is interesting, at least for the people who regularly read my posts!

23. Cole says:

I totally agree! I mean, I get that a person’s blog is their personal space to do what they please but it can be so frustrating when you have to leave a comment on their blog and really have nothing to say.

• Cole if you write it and it stays on your blog then nobody is obligated to comment. My problem is when you are a part of a reciprocation group and you are fighting for the words to comment because you can’t even figure what you are supposed to be commenting on

24. abccreativelearning says:

Amazing content is what I strive for everyone time I hit the publish button!

25. Andrea says:

and whatever you guys do – DON’T copy from anybody else’s blog posts (or any kind of posts)!

26. Ana De Jesus says:

Hear hear. I love reading new blog posts but sometimes it can be a struggle writing meaningful comments when there is not much content to engage with. I myself personally know that I always deliver insightful articles and many bloggers have been converted to the fashion sphere because I am very different to your typical fashion blogger meaning I can inspire all audiences to accept themselves but also challenge their own personal boundaries a little more.

27. Sheila says:

Thanks for this post. I have avoided participating in certain groups/threads for this very reason.

28. I think the problem is that “great content” means different things to different people. I’m not sure most bloggers really understand that concept as it applies to the way readers perceive them.

29. A good call to action never hurts to lead discussion, either.

30. Hey Mardene as a proponent of content production and distribution I absolutely love you calling this blog content elephant out! I have read some blogs on some syndication forums & felt a so sad that I have wasted my 5 mins reading it. Then I Also have to leave a meaningful comment on an obviously shoddy piece of work. So Absolutely its essential to create content that our target audience enjoys so much so that they actively look out for it. 🙂 Go girl!

31. thecraftysideofsarcasm says:

I like to control my content. I don’t want to throw up a post every day abkut anything just for views. I like to have fun content that complements my nitch. This is a great post!

I try to comment in a nice manner as I want others to do the same. Sometimes the post is hard to understand so it is hard to comment,

33. Robin Rue (@massholemommy) says:

I read a lot of blogs in the course of the day. Some are great and I read the entire thing while others bore me to tears.

34. I’m doing great on Insta. Failing here. I needed this. Thank you!!

35. laci says: