In Defense of Professional Women

Men is there a reason why most of you are afraid of us? And what do you mean when you say we are too independent? Speaking on behalf of Christian professional women, we would really like to know. Now please note that this is not for those professional women who act like they are better than some men. No, I cannot speak for those because I believe that we are all equal before God. There are those of us, however, who take our cue from God and as such we look at character rather than what you have or what you are worth.
Professional Women

Why are you so turned off because we are well educated and because we can carry our own weight? Are you asking us to put these things aside so that we can be attractive to you? Are you asking us to just stop at a High School education just so that you can look good? I want to believe this is not what you are saying but believe me that it how it looks. Follow me here! If you say that because we are well educated and make a decent salary you cannot deal with us; then what we hear is if you get rid of those things then I will feel more comfortable approaching you.

Now, if as professional women we throw these things in the faces of the men who approach us then I agree that they should run as far away from us as they can. This would be a prescription for disaster if we enter a relationship thinking that we are above the other party. If we are going to keep reminding them of these things then maybe, just maybe we need a serious touch from the Master’s hand.

If you look in the churches all over the world, it is the professionalChristan woman who is still single or who is single the longest. My question to you all is why is this so? Is it because we are sabotaging our futures by our actions or is it because men need to stop being so afraid of us?

1. kristi says:

If we humble ourselves before God, we will also be able to lift others and encourage them in the areas they have been gifted.

2. barnabaslane says:

This is such a great post! It’s so important to remember we will be held responsible for our words. We have to treat them as the important thing they are and show Godly respect to each other, no matter sex, inside and outside the workplace.

3. Jonathan Key says:

It’s so important to have a balanced world view in life. This is another area that we have yet to grow as a people and a culture. Thanks for sharing your perspective!

4. Marissa says:

While I was a working woman, in a man’s focused world (advertising) I have to admit, the not-yet-believers really struggled with this. But there is a peace with God that kept the strife of this from ever really settling in with me. Thanks for your views.

5. Great questions. I have often wondered this myself. Some times I think it has to do with the attitudes some women have towards men and that men are scared of strong independent women. But another part of me wonders if it has to do with men and women being influenced by the culture of the world.

6. Indeed, we are all equal before God, though within a relationship and marriage we have different roles.

7. Helen says:

I feel very fortunate that these are attitudes I am unfamiliar with. I know they exist, so maybe it’s my part of the world that has come to better accept the strengths that women offer and realise that we are all one in Christ Jesus.

8. tara8910 says:

This is a great take on something that isn’t often addressed. Bravo!

9. Parker J says:

Oh my gosh! This is such a big issue for women in the church. You hit it on the nail.

• So tiring and utterly annoying. Men talk a good game but at the end of they day many are looking for someone to fawn over them.

• Parker J says:

I love that FB Meme where it goes something to the effect, Mother-in-law, don’t tell me how to raise my kids because one of yours needs a lot of improvement. Something like that anyway.

Then you’ll meet that power couple in real life and you’re like how do they do it? Matter of fact, there was a husband and wife couple at a networking function I was at recently. She was absolutely beautiful, tall, slender, swan-like neck and arms. I kept staring at her like, Wow! When I grow up, I want to be like her. Her hubby was taller than her but he empowered her and didn’t try to subdue her and she was so powerful and professional but not hard. So it can happen!

10. Jamie Carter says:

It doesn’t matter if a woman is a professional or not, according to the teachings of male headship, all women are subordinate to men. They are equal in personhood, but different in role. They say that it is the role of men to work and provide for the house and the work of women to bear children, raise them, and keep the house in order. Professional women ‘usurp’ the role of men by being the provider and taking the jobs that only men should have because the men have families to support. If women will do that, its a slippery slope that follows where women become pastors and let homosexuals take an active part in the church which breaks the verses that says women ought to be silent, in submission, and they are not permitted to teach or have authority.
    That is what too many believe. Do I believe a word of it? Certainly not! I just read up on their teachings to speak against them. I don’t think fear plays into it, not on a big scale. Some might believe they are acting out of a protective instinct or with good motives, but I think that capable women who don’t seem to need a knight in shining armor perplex and confound them because the teaching doesn’t fit them.