Note From A Non-Smoker To Those Who Smoke

Now I know that in life we all have choices.  I choose to not smoke and you have chosen to smoke; and I respect your decision.

Smoking

I am kindly asking for you to also respect my decision not to smoke.  I am asking you please to think of me when you light up.   Just step aside when you have to smoke if we are standing in a public place.    If you want to smoke and you are standing with a group of people just think about us and don’t light up right then and there.I thank you for not smoking in the building but could you just also move a little away from the building when you are smoking please?  The smoke comes right back into the building when you smoke too near to the building.  I know that may not seem like a big deal to you but for those of us who do not smoke the smell is terrible and it kinda feels like you can hardly breathe.

While you are at it, may I ask you to stop smoking for your own health?    Let me just place a few statistics here just as a gentle reminder.

quit_smoking_smoke_away

So the next time you light up please just consider those around you who have to breathe in what you have breathed out!

To those smokers who are considerate; thank you so very much!

Credit for Graphics

1. I appreciate you thanking smokers who are considerate. I am not a smoker, but my husband used to be. He was always careful to not be in anyone’s face. When we moved to KY from FLA.. having to go outside got the best of him! He has been smoke free for 10 years.

2. Rosey says:

Smoking stinks. My husband smoked only in the basement. My papers in my safe in the upstairs smelled like smoke. I guess because it came through the vents. Nasty.

• Rosey it does come through the vents. I realised that when I had a neigbour who smoked and wondered why I smelled smoke each time I went into the bathroom. I asked to be moved from beside him because he had 3 little kids in that house and did not care about them, I figured he would not care about me either

3. I find people that smokes around non-smokers to be selfish. Pure and simple. Fully knowing that what you are putting in your mouth is not only toxic to you but to any other person near you…and STILL doing it? Yea, selfish. My mother-in-law smokes. She smells so gross. She can’t even tell she smells. She came over the other day and sat in my office for 5 minutes. I come in and the WHOLE room reeked of cigarettes!! That made me soo upset because when I smell this it irritates my nose and sends me into sneezing fits. I also hate it when she holds my baby because of the way she smells. I wish she would stop smoking but like I said, selfish. Sorry I went on a rant there lol This happen over the weekend and I guess I’m still pretty irritated by it.

4. I’ve wanted to say this sooo many times!
    I went to a fun outing at the park with my children, it was a great big gathering and right there in the midst of us all, women, men, mothers just smoking.
    I couldn’t breathe and trying to walk away to a safer zone and bam, there’s someone else!
    It’s so very selfish!
    Thank you for saying it.

5. top5life says:

This is quite a nice post. I hope smokers go through it and really do a bit of care for the non smokers.

Great post really significant information! I hope one day we live in a society where every harmfull substance is erradicated

7. Esme Sy says:

A lot of smokers are insensitive. I hope they read this.

8. Maddie says:

I like this post. It seems they forget that smoking is harming not only them but everyone else who breathes their smoke.

9. You know what is my beef with smokers? The sense of entitlement to more breaks than everyone else at work! The ones that I have encountered not only pass on their smoke but do so every hour during a shift!!!

I certainly don’t want to take away their right to smoke, but yes, it would be great if I didn’t have to walk out the door of a public building into a cloud of smoke.

11. Lexie Lane says:

This is so helpful. I’m glad my husband don’t smoke. I hope all smokers will quit.

12. Erlene says:

A lot of us live in cities with bad air, which is like smoking a cigarette and I don’t need additional help from smokers to pollute my lungs. Hate smoke from cigarettes and I hate the new vape cigarettes that people think are ok to smoke around others because it’s not considered a real cigarette.

13. Izabela says:

Great post. Smokers should definitely be more respectful of those of us who don’t engage in that nasty habit.

• Izabela its all about respecting each other. I was standing with a group of persons waiting on the Greyhound Bus and one lady sitting there just took out a cigarette and lit it, right in the middle of the conversation. I just excused myself and moved to the other corner of the lot until the bus came.

14. I’m so glad that we don’t have a smoker in my family. I really don’t like my friend who smoke

15. My two pennies to the smokers. Bathing yourself in cologne and perfume does not cover the stinky smell of cigarette smoke.

16. Melanie says:

I used to be a smoker. I know it’s bad for your health but I was addicted and I loved it. But I quit smoking over a year ago and haven’t looked back. I tried to be respectful when I was a smoker but didn’t realize exactly how much the smell affected those around me. Now I really notice it on other people. I’m glad I don’t smell like that anymore and do not post an inconvenience to others and myself.

17. Chanelle says:

Thankfully I do not have any family or friends who smoke. I love the statistics at the end, smoking is not a good choice any way you look at it. Unfortunately, many choose to learn the hard way.

There are smokers who are sensitive enough to think of other people, but there are also those who just don’t care. This is such a nice post, I really hope a lot of people read this.

19. I’ve never smoked a cigarette in my life nor have I ever really had friends who smoked. I guess I’ve been lucky!

20. Ana De Jesus says:

I am not a smoker my health is bad enough as it is lol! Well done for posting this we need more people like you who are willing to take a stand.

21. My oh my Mardene arent you ever so polite and kind to them that do harm to the rest of us living creatures by their choices of vice.

Trust me I am not so kind or respectful of them. I literaly tell them to get away from me with their lil death stick and please keep walking! Seriously I hope no one in my family ever picks up the habit coz They wont hear the end of it! Eishhh. the sheer health disadvantages you would think they would stop even creating them things…but the taxman is greedy and double faced!

So I salute you for your sheer courtesy asking them nicely 🙂

Sylvia Jules Kal

22. michelle says:

i dislike smoke but i too respect that we all have the chose to make the decision to do so or not. it’s just a common curtsey i think to not smoke when you have people down wind of you or too close to a building up some people just don’t care. i am so happy that smoking in restaurants has been stopped

• Michelle I cannot tell you how happy I am that at least they cannot smoke in the buildings. A few years ago my friends and I had to cut a night short because we could barely breathe in the place where the function was being held

My pet peave is the ones who smoke near the doors. I have to hold my breath to pass them.

24. Robin Rue (@massholemommy) says:

I honestly never understood what made someone start smoking. I mean, it smells, bad, it looks bad and it just plain gross.

25. Andy says:

I really liked your post and I completely agree with it! However, I would go a bit further. Smoking is not a typical past-time activity, nor is it an actual hobby. Unless one considers drinking cyanides a hobby, of course. Therefore, smoking should not be treated as a life-style choice, but rather be frowned upon as an utter disrespect towards one’s health :).

• In a way I agree with you but it is still their choice to smoke or not to smoke. No matter how much we disagree with that other person’s choice there is not much we can do about it until they come to realize how much this is detrimental to their health and to the health of those around them.

26. You’re a better person than I am, for sure. I am not so nice when I encounter smokers polluting MY air in public places.

No, I am not respectful of “their choices,” when their choices impair my ability to breathe. I tell them in no uncertain terms to step far away and downwind from everyone who is not smoking. In many states and municipalities, there are clearly posted signs about where to smoke and where not to smoke. When someone violates those laws, I am not the least bit nice.

Great post.

27. cherished79 says:

Thanks for posting this, I am a non-smoker also. Luckily my city has taken a stand and beginning this summer you can’t smoke on outside restaurant patios, or around outside places that are near children (eg. playgrounds, baseball, soccer fields). Nothing worse than having a nice lunch outside, and with each bite smoke is blowing your way from the table beside you.