Frontline Persons in Church

A smiling man standing in front of a church, holding a bible, with his hand extended in a welcoming gesture.

It is very important that the right persons are selected for front-line duty in church.  By front line I am referring to ushers, parking attendants and any other persons that are the first point of contact when a visitor comes to your church. How those persons respond to a visitor can determine whether or not you get a new member or someone who may never come back to your church or to any other church.

Parking attendants and ushers should be selected with utmost care but sadly many churches do not take the time to do this.  I am urging you though to reconsider how you select these very important workers.

Ushers and Parking Attendants should be very approachable and it would not hurt if they loved to smile.   There is nothing worse than turning up to a church and be greeted by a sour face.   It makes you wish you had stayed in bed and not braved the traffic to come.   It is therefore imperative that churches spend some time to select, train and evaluate ushers and parking attendants on a regular basis.

praying hands over a holy bible

They should be non-judgmental and tolerant because you never know who will turn up on a Saturday or Sunday to church.   Everyone must be greeted with kindness, regardless of where they are from or what position they hold.   Each usher and parking attendant must be aware that every visitor could have made another choice so it is crucial that they be treated with the best of care.

It is also important that this group be knowledgeable about the church and its programs.   They should be kept in the loop about upcoming events and changes so they can respond on the spot to questions from visitors and members.

So think long and hard about who you select to be the first point of contact because the wrong person can bring negative vibes to your church.

1. Nance says:

I totally agree with this simple and yet ignored task by church ushers this day. Just as how airlines or hotels choose their attendants, church administration should choose ushers well.

Nance I so agree with you. Most of the front line persons are hard nosed and miserable in a lot of churches. Many times they have different ideas of what church should look like and they can really turn away prospective members

2. De says:

I agree that people who are welcoming church goers new and old should be welcoming but as far as the person attending. Their greeting should be on the lower level of their checklist for attending and the message and their growth in Christ should be in the top tiers of their list when choosing a house of worship. I understand what you’re saying but I think they’re are other things that should be considered than whether the parking attendant is always smiling, Which helps too.

De I hear what you are saying BUT when a person is not yet saved how we respond to them when they come can turn them off. I know we would like to think that everyone is rational in their thinking but unfortunately this is not the case. Too often we only focus on training certain sets of persons and ignore this very important part.

3. mardenec@hotmail.com says:

Inez…years of visiting churches has taught me a whole lot…some good some bad. Simple things can be done to make people comfortable when they chose to visit our churches. There are so many other places they could be.

4. Inez says:

I think a lot of people see these as “entry level” positions. In some ways, they might be since there’s not a lot of skill involved as there is with other things like being on the worship team, tech team or teaching children BUT these ministries are SO important! They are the first impression and the first opportunity to ease any apprehension or frustration people might be facing. I love that you mentioned knowledgeable as well. Since they are the first most people see they need to know what’s going on!

Inez you hit the nail on the head. Every person needs to be trained regardless of the office they hold. Very often we forget the greeters and those other front line persons BUT they are very important

5. I think our church does a good job with choosing friendly people, but I don’t know what kind (if any) training they receive. I am not in a position to serve in that way right now, but they are always friendly and non-judgmental. Our pastor has gone so far as to ask us to park farther away for those visiting to find a space up front. I think that is a great attitude to have.

Jennifer that is a great attitude to have. Simple things like this can make a person decide to come back to your church.

6. I agree it’s so hard to find non judgemental people these dys and non gossips serving imporant roles in churches. I am very blessed withe the church I go to. Great leadership.

Mihaela I am always happy to hear statements like that with regards to a congregation. We all need to do better and remind ourselves daily why we are here

7. readmyphotos says:

Regarding your post about the “front line” representatives of Churches: The part I found interesting was the note about “parking attendants”. What I find interesting about some churches is that they have parking “only” for the church workers, and the sign designates that. No matter how small or large a parking lot is, if one truly wants to welcome people into a church, they need to open their hearts, and the doors of the church and also, open the parking lot to anyone who attends the church. And that, to me, is important ‘front line” matters that should be attended to. Perhaps fairness in everything rather than showing ‘preference’, would be having no parking lot at all or just opening the parking up to everyone who attends the church. We can “do all things in Christ”, so I have no doubt that even preachers and pastors and church workers would find a place to park if there was no parking at the church itself. Perhaps the question is, do we really believe what we preach? If any Preachers or Pastors are reading here, consider either opening your parking lot to ‘everyone’ who attends the church or consider closing it down completely and really being ‘one of the flock’ of Jesus Christ, our Lord and Savior.

I am so sorry to hear about this but was not even aware that this was going on in some churches. This is wrong on so many levels that I do not even know where to begin. I can understand having a designated parking space for the pastor but every other space should be fair game. At the church where I am from in Jamaica we do not even have a designated space for the pastor. Again I am so sorry you experienced such a sad thing.