I seriously believe that some people feel important to say “I am in a meeting.” Now don’t get me wrong, meetings are important but should only be done when necessary. If there is nothing to talk about, if there is nothing new to discuss then the organization is not going to fall apart if there are no meetings.
Some meetings are downright boring, I have several notepads with doodling to prove that. Meetings should never be the place for embarrassing employees under no circumstances whatsoever but unfortunately I have been to some of those as well.
In my mind a meeting is considered productive when:
- Proper care is taken with the agenda so that there are not too many items to be discussed in one sitting
- Items that are discussed are acted on so that the same things do not keep appearing
- Persons are able to report on items that they were asked to act on from the last meeting
- One person is not allowed to dominate the meeting
- The person who is chairing the meeting has taken the time to prepare
- The meeting does not go on so long that everyone is almost catatonic at the end
I think it is disrespectful for the host of the meeting to be late and sadly that happens a lot. Now I understand that sometimes this cannot be avoided but this should be the exception and not the norm. As managers it is hard to sit in meetings all day when you have a department to run because the work will be there waiting for you when you return to your desk. I understand the need for some meetings but some are just not necessary and the world will not come to an end if we drop some of these meetings.
© 2014 Mardene Carr
Mardene R. Carr is a tech-savvy Librarian with over 15 years of experience in Jamaica, USA, Cayman Islands, Bahamas and Dominica. For more on her work please visit