Unproductive Meetings

business people at boring meeting

I seriously believe that some people feel important to say “I am in a meeting.” Now don’t get me wrong, meetings are important but should only be done when necessary. If there is nothing to talk about, if there is nothing new to discuss then the organization is not going to fall apart if there are no meetings.

Some meetings are downright boring, I have several notepads with doodling to prove that. Meetings should never be the place for embarrassing employees under no circumstances whatsoever but unfortunately I have been to some of those as well.

In my mind a meeting is considered productive when:

1. Proper care is taken with the agenda so that there are not too many items to be discussed in one sitting
  2. Items that are discussed are acted on so that the same things do not keep appearing
  3. Persons are able to report on items that they were asked to act on from the last meeting
  4. One person is not allowed to dominate the meeting
  5. The person who is chairing the meeting has taken the time to prepare
  6. The meeting does not go on so long that everyone is almost catatonic at the end

I think it is disrespectful for the host of the meeting to be late and sadly that happens a lot. Now I understand that sometimes this cannot be avoided but this should be the exception and not the norm. As managers it is hard to sit in meetings all day when you have a department to run because the work will be there waiting for you when you return to your desk. I understand the need for some meetings but some are just not necessary and the world will not come to an end if we drop some of these meetings.

© 2014 Mardene Carr

____________________________________________________

Mardene R. Carr is a tech-savvy Librarian with over 15 years of experience in Jamaica, USA, Cayman Islands, Bahamas and Dominica. For more on her work please visit

1. Saving time is always my top priority and I think its very important to really make sure meetings are used for the important matters

2. I used to hate meetings when I was working. Most of them were a big waste of time. Except for the donuts. Donuts are never a waste of time.

3. Esme Sy says:

You are right about all this. It gets frustrating when meetings go longer than usual and the people don’t seem to come up with something.

I totally agree with you! I’m not a fan of meetings so they should be used wisely not to discourage employees

5. Meetings are great when they are productive. I don’t have the patience for pointless meetings that don’t get anything accomplished!

6. Sometimes I think I literally think certain things into manifestation, IN FACT I KNOW I DO. I have a meeting tonight and I have shared this article with all the meeting members because believe all of us should read this article Mardene. I dont even know what to say other than thanks for sharing it. very on point…

Julie Syl Kalungi

7. Lexie Lane says:

Sometimes, I really hate meeting, especially when someone is late. It gives me stress and headache.

8. You are right on all counts. When I was younger and got into a supervisory/managerial position, I felt cool saying that I am in a meeting. At this age, with this much water under bridge, I could do without meetings, period!

9. Ana De Jesus says:

It is frustrating when meetings go on longer than expected or the host is late. I think it is so rude!

10. Sometimes I hate meetings. It makes me stress and i’m so glad that I’m not working to the big companies

11. I prefer meetings that have an agenda and are on target. I also like for there to be time to express opinions that might need to be brought up in a meeting. I am lucky that my work meetings are pretty good and we seem to get the business taken care and just learn more of what is needed to help us grow in our jobs.

I think that’s also where professionalism comes into play, you know? Like everything you do in the office, this should be something that is observed in meetings too.

13. I’m retired now, but you can’t imagine the number of meetings I have been to in my life that were useless because they weren’t planned. At All.

14. I have had a few of these in my time. Attended meetings where people are unprepared and don’t have an idea of what to discuss. You can never be over prepared for a meeting.

John

15. This is something I don’t have to worry about these days but when I worked in an office, meetings for the sake of meetings were the bane of my life.

16. Jen Lawrence says:

I’ve complained about meeting for some of those very reasons.

17. Euge Nia says:

I share all your opinions,but it happens unfortunately too often and it is so sad. It’s just a waste of time and you can’t do a real work.

18. brycerae says:

I see where you are coming from. I recently had a meeting about a certain issue. We discussed that and ended up discussing what would have been on the agenda at next weeks once a month meeting.

All the best !!!

I hate meetings just to have one. If there is nothing that needs to be addressed then dont have a meeting.

20. I don’t like going to meetings because I’ve yet to go to one that wasn’t boring. I also think it’s extremely disrespectful for the host of the meeting to be late.

21. Robin Rue (@massholemommy) says:

I hate when people are late to a meeting – especially the host. It;s so rude