The Church is a Hospital Not A Social Club

praying hands over a holy bible

When the church becomes a place where those who are hurting the most feel comfortable then we would have done our jobs.   We would have done what we are on this earth to do as Christians.

We must take Matthew 25:35-37 very seriously if we would call ourselves a true follower of Christ.

35 For I was hungry and you gave me food, I was thirsty and you gave me drink, I was a stranger and you welcomed me, 36 I was naked and you clothed me, I was sick and you visited me, I was in prison and you came to me.

How does your church react to strangers regardless of their importance?   Do the ushers welcome everyone in the same manner even if they are not dressed like “church people”?  Does the stranger feel at home in your church even if they are unkempt? If we cannot treat each person with the same amount of respect regardless of their perceived importance then we must go back to the drawing board.

The scripture did not say we should do these things to those who we consider worthy.  The statement is for all persons who we come in contact with.  Everyone who comes through the doors of the church should be treated in such a manner that they look forward to coming back.  People should come to the church to get well, we should not expect them to get well before coming.

1. Jonathan Key says:

It is so true that the Church is to be a hospital and not a social club. Often times we forget that the people we see everyday are hurting & broken people. And those who are visiting are in the same boat. We all need redemption. We all need Jesus.

2. Denise says:

Our pastor had a sermon with similar truths a few weeks ago…. different verses from Bible but same principles.

3. Marissa says:

It is essential to be a welcoming place, as the people are what truly matter

Marissa

4. We are blessed to belong to a church that has a big focus on community outreach, particularly in ministry to the homeless.

5. Nicole says:

We must remember to love as Christ loved, and show it to others! Thanks for the reminder!

6. Full of the sick in need of healing…Thank you for the precious reminder!

7. Megan Elford says:

This is a great reminder! It’s so easy to get judgmental and complacent, and think that everyone lives, speaks and dresses the same way as we do. We need to break out of our cliques and make sure that everyone who enters our doors feels welcomed!

8. miragonz says:

Yes, I absolutely agree. Church is a great place to see friends and socialize and fellowship with the believers, but first and foremost we need to be a light to a dark world and a place where souls feel welcome to come and get clean. Thank you for this post!

9. something we all have to remind ourselves about