Taking Care of the People We Manage

BlogPost4

Contrary to what a lot of managers believe, you can actually be nice to those you manage and still be respected. I would even go a bit beyond respect and say you will be loved.

I believe that it is my duty as a manager to look out for the persons who are under my care. This does not mean persons will be allowed to do as they please, it simply means that for the most part when you look out for those who you manage they will look out for you.

BlogPost6

As the manager for any department my job is to make sure that the members of that department are happy to come to work on a daily basis. A happy worker is a more productive worker and everybody wins. I should know what is going on with persons I supervise. If they have children I should be interested in the well-being of these children. It is hard for a parent to concentrate and do well at work when something is going on with their children. However, when they know that their manager understands and will work with them I believe it makes it a little easier to deal with.

My job is to mentor my staff so that when they leave my department they would have learnt something they can take with them wherever they are going. I should make them know that I care about their well-being and that they are an integral part of what goes on in the department. I should help them discover what their strengths are and as much as possible give them assignments based on their strengths.

Boss bullying his employee

I am their manager, not their slave master so I should be fair in the amount of work I give ;and give sufficient time for that to be completed. I should be fair in my evaluations and under no circumstances should I show favoritism. It is my job to encourage team work and discourage gossip of any kind. As managers we should stand up and speak up when those we supervise are being victimized by other managers or by the administration of the company.

We cannot expect loyalty if we are not prepared to be loyal to those who we manage.

If you need any of these beautiful pictures, please contact Dr. Maxine Clarke at Maxineclarke57@gmail.com

© 2014 Mardene Carr

_________________________________________________________________

Mardene R. Carr is a tech-savvy Librarian with over 15 years of experience in Jamaica, USA, Cayman Islands, Bahamas and Dominica. For more on her work please visit

1. mya.k says:

my grandmas boss feels this way.

2. Chelsea L. says:

Manager’s are the front end of the company, they do what the owners ask them to do even its against their will. I feel bad for them sometimes.

3. Ughhh my hubby is in management and it can be annoying how mean managers can be sometimes. I always have to remind him to be nicer to people lol

I totally agree with you. I’ve watched my ex-husband manage people for years and they absolutely love him. They work their butts off for him because they love him so much.

5. I have to agree your manager is such an important person in your work life and it makes all the difference if they actually care about you

6. When you play up to people’s strenghts, it increases their confidence. And it makes them an even better employee. 🙂

7. The work I used to do never required me to be in a “manager” position. But when I joined Scentsy and started to recruit people I had a LOT to learn. Thankfully for me I have someone that I can look up to for advice.

Having a bad boss can be really hard. Thank god I’ve always had great managers that really know how to keep the team motivated and focus on the common goals.

9. shoppingduck says:

Managing can be hard, but if you put yourself in the worker’s shoes, you will always treat them with respect.

10. I’ve had great managers and I’ve had less that BAD managers. I’m glad you are on the positive side of that with your staff.

11. I think bosses get a lot more respect and people that will do their jobs well if they treat them like real people. They have to remember they aren’t slave drivers.

12. Euge Nia says:

You’re doing a really great job, as a manager I totally agree with you! A positive, healthy and comfortable work environment is important for people you work with and as we know people who enjoy their jobs are usually very productive, motivated and effective employee. People feel recognized for the work they do and they are given opportunities for personal and professional growth.

13. My last manager was not a boss.. she was a leader ! And sometimes a write to her for advises !

The best thing I heard from a former manager is that if you take care of your employees your employees will take care of your business. I think it’s the perfect way to describe how employees should be treated. Don’t you think?

15. I have run jobs for my work and it’s definitely tough managing other people. Being a good manager makes work so much better!

Laura | Laura Aime Vous

16. Debbie Denny says:

Awesome outlook. I know several people that should take this to heart.

17. Managers who sincerely care for their team have the best work environments. You can still become personable while creating an atmosphere of respect for your position. I remember the best managers I’ve had were those that showed they cared about me as a person, not an employee. When I was a team leader and director, I did the same with my team. A little kindness and compassion goes a long way!

18. Laci says:

Love this thankfully I have a boss tbeag also feels this way !!!

19. I likve my job but I don’t like the people that I work with. I don’t think there is anything a manager could do to fix it since the person next to me hates anyone who exists.

20. Sue Purdy says:

Great post, and superb photography. Love it.

This is a great description for a manager. Now if only all managers could be like this.

22. Ana De-Jesus says:

It is a tough job being a manager but someone has to do it and the key is to be firm but fair!

23. You sound like the kind of manager everyone should have. Good advice.

24. hautebeautyguide says:

Thanks for the article and advice! I am opening a new spa and will have a team next month. I will take your words with me in the new venture.

25. marianne says:

My boss is a kind person but a horrible manager. She should read this.

26. I appreciate bosses who treat their employees with kindness and understanding. I’ve quit two jobs before because the bosses either didn’t understand how to talk to me as well as others, or they were just always flat out disrespectful.

27. It is important to treat people who work under you (above, around) you kindly and with respect. Many managers seem to think the most important thing is to remind people who is in charge. That never goes well.

28. employees leave their bosses, not the company. This is something that I have learned long ago and I make sure that when my employees do live, it is because they are ready to fly on their own and not because of me

29. Robin Rue (@massholemommy) says:

I would never want to be a manager and thankfully I work from home, so I don’t have to worry about having one, either.

1. March 5, 2015