Bad Bosses: Of Unscrupulous Supervisors/Management

Have you ever had to deal with bad bosses? A supervisor that was just unscrupulous? Believe me, you do not have to look very far to find one of those these days.

Bad Bosses

I find that bad bosses are everywhere these days and they wreak havoc on people’s lives. As a supervisor, I think long and hard before placing something on someone’s permanent record. That person would have to be really bad for me to get that far. Many persons who supervise forget that there is an HR component to their jobs. Not everything has to go to HR Director, some things can be dealt with right there in the department. As long as the persons are willing to learn and pull up their socks, then we should work with them. Sometimes persons have had a bad day because of some external pressure and we have to take the time to find out what is going ton before running to HR.

There are persons who will do all they can to sink another individual just because they can. If you hold someone’s future in your hands be very careful what you do with it. Do not allow personal likes or dislikes to play such a huge part. If the worker is a good worker then judge them based on that. Do not put anything on another person’s permanent record if you know that is not the truth. This can have devastating results and careers can be ruined by it.

There is a process before anything goes on someone’s permanent record and we should try as much as possible to follow that process. Do not lie because you do not like this person or because this person will not sleep with you. Let us try to be fair to all persons who cross our paths in the work place. Remember that what goes around comes around! Just because you can do it and probably get away with it does not mean it is right.

© 2014

______________________________________________________

Mardene R. Carr is a tech-savvy Librarian with over 15 years of experience in Jamaica, USA, Cayman Islands, Bahamas and Dominica. For more on her work please visit

1. I had an awful supervisor… i worked for that person for more than 2 years..

2. Urvi says:

I had experience with one of my supervisor. No matter how good my work is, he always having issue with me. Learned a lot from him, now i know how to handle them.

I agree with another commenter why people can’t be nice? Seriously it’s something that I don’t understand

• Amy when you find the answer do share. What is fascinating is that sometimes these people know what it feels like to be treated poorly. As soon as they get into the position themselves they do the same thing

4. Chanelle says:

There are always those little people that need a position to make them feel big.

5. Esme Sy says:

I am very lucky I never had to work with a boss. But I’ve heard from friends how some boss can be so nasty to their employees.

6. You are on point with this Mardene. However, and you know that was going to come from me (LOL) – there are people who we supervise who see “compassion” as weakness or indecisive management/supervision. Balance – that ‘b’ word again – is key. Great post.

It can make work absolutely unbearable to be in situation like that. I’m so glad I’m my own boss.

8. I’m so glad that i don’t have a bully boss.

9. michelle says:

i had an awful supervisor a few years back. after learning that i was not the only one who had problems with him and that he was unreliable when i needed his help. i discussed it with our manager not to throw the supervisor under the bus but just to share my experience and feedback. i was told that they had multiple complaints but no one was giving specific examples just general complaints. i try to avoid complaining in general but if i do need to speak up i always mention specific incidents so that they can be addressed.

They are everywhere indeed. I’ve had two supervisors like this and they so awful to work with!

11. freddieandi says:

Totally agree, I used to hate my boss, she was such an authoritarian and thought she could do whatever she wanted.

12. Ana De Jesus says:

I agree, I don’t understand why people in a position of power think it is their right to demean and degrade people because they think they are beneath them.

13. It’s so important to use the resources available to you. I experienced this in the past. That said, I have great leadership now so I’m very thankful.

Why cant people just be nice all the time. That is a nice dream but it does not happen. Use HR if needed.

• Tara…I have been at a company where the HR was literally led by the person who owned the company. So even though they had a figurehead, she was afraid to make any decisions for failure of losing her job.

15. Many times I thank the Lord that I am my own boss serving the Lord and those He places on my journey. No one should take that kind of shit from another human being! for those in authority are meant to serve not bully others. Keep highlighting it Mardene!

Julie Syl K

16. top5life says:

This is a wonderful blog. Liked it.

17. Robin Rue (@massholemommy) says:

This makes me so glad that I never worked for someone like that. I can’t even imagine.

1. March 5, 2015

[…] on March 4, 2015 by Fashionable […]

2. March 15, 2016

[…] but believe me, it is just tired and tacky.  Oh yes! I also wrote about this in another post, Of Unscrupulous Supervisors and Managers.   We should really be on the same page in the workplace considering that many of us are getting […]

3. March 22, 2016

[…] but believe me, it is just tired and tacky.  Oh yes! I also wrote about this in another post, Of Unscrupulous Supervisors and Managers.   We should really be on the same page in the workplace considering that many of us are getting […]