Men Holding Purses – Shopping With Men

Have you ever seen an uncomfortable man in the mall with his significant other?  Are you one of those women who cannot go shopping unless your man is there?

I would never invite my significant other to go to the mall with me and if he volunteers I will tell him a flat out “NO.”  I have yet to see that man who is happy going to the mall with his spouse.  Now there might be a few exceptions to the rule but pretty much the average man hates shopping.

Men and women think differently when it comes to shopping (please see diagram above).  Many women are quite okay spending countless hours combing the mall for the perfect outfit and any bargains available.  A man on the other hand gets in and gets out in a short space of time.  So ladies, cut the men some slack and don’t make an issue of it if he has no interest in going to the mall.

Man bored shopping with his girlfriend

I see many uncomfortable men following their spouses from store to store and I feel their pain.   Sometimes I smile because I know I would not want my spouse asking me if this is the last store or any such question.  For that reason he stays at home or if he is the designated driver then when I am ready I give him a call.   Most women are experts at shopping and actual love this ritual but the average man would rather have a root canal.

Despite near equality in numbers, according to Bloomberg, women make more than 85% of the consumer purchases in the United States, and reputedly influence over 95% of total goods and services purchased. Women as a whole are considered more sophisticated shoppers than men, taking longer to make a buying decision.

Many men will say YES to avoid an argument so ladies please could you just cut them some slack?  They do not get the way we shop and I suspect they will never get it so lighten up.

Women tend to be more astute consumers than men, simply because they are willing to invest the time and energy necessary to research and compare products. At the same time, their two-sided brain approach to problem solving makes them more susceptible to emotional appeals than a man.

What is the reason for wanting your spouse to come along on a shopping spree?

Would you be offended if your spouse flat out refused to go with you to the mall?

Facebook        Twitter      Pinterest      Google+     Stumbleupon    Bloglovin

1. Kiwi says:

At this point we know most men do not like to shop. If we happen to be together I dont mind if he wanders off and do his own thing…I rather shop by myself verses him popping a seat somewhere and looking bored.

2. Cathy says:

I am smiling at the diagram, so great! Loved reading this, it’s so true!
    Cathy

3. Lawrence says:

I go with my wife here and there. March Madness Time though, she’s on her own. I text her to let her know what bar I’ll be at and to respond when she’s ready. Works perfectly!

Lawrence I like your style. If it works perfectly then don’t try to fix it….

4. Yonca says:

Shopping is my stress reliver. Sometimes my hubby joins me. Actually I’m ok with that. He leaned in years to not make me stressful if he doesn’t want me to spend more 🙂

Yonca it is mine as well and that is why I do not take my significant other…..LOL

5. Ifeoma Samuel says:

Very interesting conversation! My husband goes with me and I am thankful for that…

6. À LA MODEST says:

So true! I’m like this even while online shopping. I scout the entire Web for a coupon or the best deal possible, while my husband just goes and buys the first thing he sees.

7. Idaintyit says:

Haha Love this! I took one look at the picture and was laughing, it is literally me and my husband! haha

8. Eileen xo says:

I Have been married 26 years. Only 2 weeks ago we went to Walmart together, not the mall, only because due to a health issue, I could not drive. The visit was for approx 20 minutes. and will not happen again for another 26 years….:)

9. Jojo Vito says:

on the contrary, I love going to mall….what I don’t like is the payment time hahaha 🙂

10. Haha. This made me chuckle. My husband hates shopping and I never ask him to go with me. But surprisingly I hate shopping too. I order everything online. I honestly have no idea when I last went to a traditional mall. Here in FL we have a lot of open, outdoor malls and they make it super easy to only go to the exact store you need with no wondering around.

I don’t mind shopping alone at all, but my boyfriend loves to come with me. Actually he’ll just wait in the car though. He likes to just play games on his phone and chauffeur me. Can’t complain!

12. Jay Matthew Barnes says:

I love to go shopping with my wife! I don’t at all like shopping for me, but shopping with her for her is always a blast.

If she asked me to stay home, that would be fine!

13. Jen B says:

I don’t really like shopping – my husband does like having a say in what I wear though, because I’m in the midst of mommyhood (3 kids 4 and under!) so clothes are not high on my priority list but he wants me to look nice and try new things! But I do enjoy going alone IF I know he’s with the kids and nothing is wrong that would make me come home before I’m done 🙂

• Jen what a huge responsibility! I have one child so I have no idea what it’s like to be your shoe….Your husband is right…you have to take some time for yourself now and then

14. My Daughter and i always go to the mall together. We leave anyone that does not want to come at home. No sense of being somewhere you do not want to be.

15. For the longest time I just hated shopping by myself. I find it tedious (esp grocery shopping) and I tire quickly, so I wanted company. Life circumstances though have helped me get over a lot of that. I still don’t love shopping but hey it needs to be done. lol My husband generally doesn’t like accompanying me with shopping, but if we are in a hardware store or looking for something he needs, then the diagram above is often reversed for us. haha! I am the bored one pushing the cart in the hardware store. 😉 I think overall we do a good job of balancing shopping with each other. 🙂

16. Lucky fr us neither of us lie shopping, and when I do I go with girls.

17. haha I won’t let my hubby come with me because he says no to everything! The only way I’m going to get what I want is if I go alone 😉

18. Too real, I really prefer to shop by myself, I can go in and get out in 10 minutes sometimes, but then there are times when I like to linger and look.

19. Cole says:

Ha ha! So true! I’ve learned the hard way not to make my husband come shopping with me, unless he brings up the idea himself. Otherwise we’re both just miserable. And when he does want to go shopping, I know he has specific items in mind and we’re just going straight to it then leaving. Whereas I like to browse around forever.

20. So true!! I like to shop by myself and sometimes it’s straight in and straight out and other times it’s alllll over the mall.

21. top5life says:

My dad and mom always fight during shopping. Tale of every household.

22. hautebeautyguide says:

hahaha. I always go with my husband to pick out clothes BUT I never invite him to join on my trips. Let it be a surprise when the AMEX statement comes in a few weeks later.

23. I love this post! My husband hates shopping and i would rather leave him alone at home 🙂

24. Hahaha.
    My husband stresses me out when/if we go shopping together.
    I prefer to go alone 🙂

I definitely get you with this one. I never liked having anyone follow me around when I’m shopping anyway, unless I’m buying stuff for them and I need to see if it fits. Other than that, I consider shopping as my alone time, my me-time.

26. mskathykenny says:

I know of so many men who would love you for this. I’m trying to remember if I ever forced any of my partners to go with me and I think I may have been guilty of this when I was younger but definitely not when I was older.

Oh noes, i always bring my bf so he can hold my bags, i cant carry all those bags on my own =).

28. Anamika Ojha says:

whenever I go for shopping at mall, my hubby spends time at Best Buy/ Apple/ Microsoft store and I keep on hunting the best fit for myself everywhere. Then once I am done, we catch up! 😀

29. Laci says:

Ha to funny my husband hates shipoi g more than the dentist I live going alone so it works out perfectly !!

30. I’m an anomaly and I HATE shopping! But even though we both hate it, when my boyfriend and I do go shopping I always take longer looking around, I tend to make almost all the decisions, for his wardrobe as well as mine because when it comes to clothes it seems like he can’t see color or pattern, and I do all of our online shopping. I had never thought about this before, and I am wondering why this is, considering I don’t enjoy it any more than he does, but I do seem to be innately better at it too. Ill be wondering about the root causes of this now!

31. BluKatDesign says:

I hate shopping & would never imagine dragging my husband along!

32. jmanandmillerbug says:

Most of the time I don’t want my spouse going cause I don’t want him fussing about what I’m spending but he’s actually really good about tagging along and holding my bags.

33. my ex boyfriend used to go shopping with me because he knew i loved it. while i appreciated him going with me it wasn’t the same as when i go with my mom or my friends. if future boyfriends or eventually a husband refused to go shopping with me it wouldn’t bother me one bit

34. I cannot take my hubby shopping with me! He despises shopping and will question the price of every single thing. I prefer to do my shopping solo!

• Hahhaahahahahahahaahahaha…Terry the fact is most men despise shopping. The trouble is, in order to avoid an argument some prefer to just be quiet. I would really like to question women who insist on them tagging along though, to hear what’s on their mind

35. Ana De-Jesus says:

I wouldn’t force my partner to come with me and although I am a quick shopper shopping for most men is torture!

36. Alison says:

No, I would not be offended if my spouse didn’t want to go shopping with me. First of all, I like to take my time and my husband is the type listed in the picture above. In – buy it -out. 🙂

37. So I’ll dear hubby to go to the mall and we’re there for like 15 minutes and he’ll start saying that he’s really worn out and ready to go home!

38. serenityyou says:

I actually prefer to go shopping by myself. If I go with my husband he gets bored within 5 minutes, but if i go with my mum or sister we could be in the same shop ALL day

39. Oh, please. my father was always going to Sears at the mall, shops in the department store. We went to the mall together and he said something about lunch and I suggested the little Chinese place (great Bourbon Chicken) and when we turned the corner he was surprised at all the little restaurants. Thats right, he runs to the mall all the time and didn’t know there was a food court in our mall. .

40. Robin Rue (@massholemommy) says:

My husband is not allowed with me when I shop. I don’t want him to see how much money I am spending LOL.

41. Style-Lee says:

I thought I was being mean whenever I turn my nose upon seeing a man at a mall holding his wife/significant other purse…..I love to shop on my own for those same reasons you mention. Great post.