Commitment to God and Treatment in Marriage

How should a Christian treat his/her spouse  during marriage?   Seems like an odd question but why are so  many Christians mistreating their spouses?  Is it that they truly don’t know how or is it that they do not understand the bible they claim to be reading?
 Marriage

Christian Marriage

The other day some friends of mine got into a heated argument  because I believe that if you are truly committed to God then you CANNOT go home and treat your spouse badly. My thing is if a person who is truly a Child of God there is no room in there to be treating your spouse badly. Now I am not talking about minor disagreements, for those are bound to happen. I am talking about treating your spouse so badly that the person would rather not live with you.

Now I don’t understand why as a Christian (who is praying regularly and reading their bible) would not know how to treat their spouse? Your spouse should be happy to come home to you at the end of the day. It is not rocket science.   Let me even go further to say that there are many persons treating their spouses well and they are not even Christians.  If we say we have  the answers and we are inviting others to what we have, then please take a look at the way you are treating your spouse.
The bible tells us how we are to treat each other as husbands and wives. Those who do not know or are not sure should leave marriage alone until they know how. Our spouses should get the best treatment whether in public or private. If what we are preaching is true then a man or woman who is a committed Christian, will make the best spouse there is. That is my story and I am sticking to it.

Follow Me: Facebook      Twitter      Pinterest      Google+     Stumbleupon    Bloglovin

1. vw1212 says:

So true, but watch for spiritual blindside, when the adversary knows your routine that he gets in there and hits a one two punch. vw

2. Kristi says:

I agree. What I’ve noticed is that we allow the world to fashion our response to our spouse instead of God. The world says he should treat us a certain way and if he doesn’t then in a manner of speaking he should be punished in any number of ways until he responds correctly. This is not the way of our Lord who said, to love because I have loved you. Even if one feels their spouse is an enemy – respect him. It’s that crazy love and respect cycle.

3. Jonathan Key says:

I would agree with you Fashionable Librarian. Sometimes people want to do better just don’t know how. A lot of times it’s because they come from difficult circumstances or childhoods. Some people didn’t have a healthy relationship modeled to them by their parents. Some just don’t know how to get off the crazy cycle of feeling unloved and disrespected… Resulting in anger, frustration, and guilt. I would highly recommend reading “Love and Respect” by Dr. Emerson Eggerichs. You might even consider doing a review on the book. Great thought provoking post Mardene as always!

4. Marissa says:

Very true. I feel for those who don’t know God well enough to feel strong enough to give their spouse their best love.

Marissa

5. I think that it should be hard for a Christian to treat *anyone* badly, someone they love especially.

6. I agree that spouses should treat each other as we are told to in the Bible: wives should submit to their husbands as the spiritual head of the home, and husbands should love their wives as Christ loves the church. But as humans we are imperfect and sinful, and the way we treat each other is not always going to be how it should be. But that is where love and grace and forgiveness comes in.

7. Mary Collins says:

Amen. How to treat your spouse is laid out clearly in the Bible. Any Christian, whether in a leadership capacity or not, should commit to treating their spouse with love. What sense does it make to treat people outside of your family like gold and your family hate to see you coming?

8. miragonz says:

I do agree but I also realize that marriage is a union of 2 imperfect, sinful individuals. There will be fights and disagreements. The main thing is that you are committed to working it out and apologize when necessary.

• Mirangonz, of course there will be fights and disagreements. As you rightly these are 2 imperfect persons living together. I am not referring to that at all. I am talking about when one spouse treats the other person in an unfair sometimes even derogatory manner.

9. God has GOT TO BE in the middle of every marriage….

10. Valerie says:

I certainly agree. Sadly sometimes we go through ups and downs in our marriage. Sometimes our spouse may not be walking with the Lord and become hard to live with. It’s such a test of faith and requires a lot of prayer, especially when one spouse is the victim of unfair treatment. If the spouse claims to be a believer, then prayer for God to soften their hearts and for the Holy Spirit to work in them to convict them is vital. We can trust God to work and be our defense. He is our confidence and in Christ we are complete.

11. I agree!! We need to treat our spouses with the highest standard!!!

12. Marriage is the example of relationship between us and Christ. If you are focuses and centered on Christ you know that you and your spouse are one just as you and Christ are one. A person with this knowledge will not abuse themselves because that is what you do when you abuse your spouse since you are one.:)

13. 1robinsnest says:

Hi, I like your thoughts on how God and how our actions intertwine, especially on the subject of marriage. I believe in God and my marriage. My husband Jim, is wonderful and we base our marriage on respect, trust and faith in one another. I think when a person believe and follows God they want to be good, better and improve everyday; and I relate that to marriage and love. Either you want to be better for that person or you are better because of that person.

14. Reblogged this on Concierge Librarian and commented:

I felt I needed to reblog this